Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Our local food bank has a 3 week supply left

I see on TV lines of hundreds of cars.

I'll be donating to ours.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by KFWA
Our local food bank has a 3 week supply left

I see on TV lines of hundreds of cars.

I'll be donating to ours.

I am food-bank ignorant, what's a normal timeframe supply? I guess I wouldn't have thought 3-weeks was low given that most grocery stores have 3-5 days worth without re-supply.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Should've prepared. Hard to feel sympathy for folks that could've, but chose not too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Should've prepared. Hard to feel sympathy for folks that could've, but chose not too.

Do you have sympathy for those who work hard but make little and get by paycheck-to paycheck? Most are out of work now, many in service industries where they lived on tips.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Many didn’t or simply don’t have the means to be prepared for any length of time.

I volunteer for Hope Ministries in our greater area and see those who probably don’t need nor deserve help but take it anyhow and those who literally have nothing from week to week.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Do you have sympathy for those who work hard but make little and get by paycheck-to paycheck? Most are out of work now, many in service industries where they lived on tips.

Those numbers are far higher than they should be in a way. I can see if you are just starting out etc... but we all make our choices. And those choices can literally mean life or death.

I'm not saying we are totally prepared in our 50s either, but I'll say as much as we started from minimum wage jobs, no college as we just didn't want to and worked our tails off and if we were out of work for a year we'd survive. And we wouldn't run out of food.

Sounds tough and harsh I suppose but it almost seems NO one even tries... we had em at the city office all the time. Didn't get enough hours this week, need extension on my utilities... while texting on the newest I phone....

yeah, I have some sympathy. OTOH I have Jackmountains feelings to an extent too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
AND whats weird to me its often those in urban areas. The ones with the ability's to make way more than us in rural US on average. In fact most fast food folks in urban areas make very little less if not the same or more than the wife and I make doing jobs that should pay more but they don't in rural US. How is is that we prepare and they don't?

Its because they had no parenting IMHO. Education teaches NOTHING of real life. And no one wants to have responsibility any more. IMHO. Well shouldn't say no one, most don't.

When we were a faith based nation the ones really hit hard times were taken care of quite often by community and churches. Had nothing to do with .gov. reliance on the gov tit buys votes. Votes for communism in the end. Its a big vicious circle. One that can't be avoided and we are on the downhill slide in that respect and history says its going to happen.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Ive worked 60 plus for close 25 years now? Sorry, no sympathy.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
We donate a lot of time and as much resource as we can (we’re working class a-holes) to our church based food pantry and delivery. The struggling population is very high up here and I can tell you as a matter of fact that while you do have your low life parasites (probably 2/3 if I’m being honest) there are a good number of fantastic people that due to health or circumstances are really struggling and need help. These are folks that in many cases are able (with help) to pull themselves up and get moving forward again. The pros far outweigh the cons in helping these organizations...

GOD Bless America
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q

I understand where you are coming from...

GOD Bless America
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rost495
AND whats weird to me its often those in urban areas. The ones with the ability's to make way more than us in rural US on average. In fact most fast food folks in urban areas make very little less if not the same or more than the wife and I make doing jobs that should pay more but they don't in rural US. How is is that we prepare and they don't?

Its because they had no parenting IMHO. Education teaches NOTHING of real life. And no one wants to have responsibility any more. IMHO. Well shouldn't say no one, most don't.

When we were a faith based nation the ones really hit hard times were taken care of quite often by community and churches. Had nothing to do with .gov. reliance on the gov tit buys votes. Votes for communism in the end. Its a big vicious circle. One that can't be avoided and we are on the downhill slide in that respect and history says its going to happen.

The decline of Western Civilization. It's a pattern repeated throughout recorded history. It's a constant.
Like Tommy Lee said in No country for old men....you can't stop what's coming.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Quak

I understand where you are coming from...

I'll take care of me and mine. It's what men do.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Those numbers are far higher than they should be in a way. I can see if you are just starting out etc... but we all make our choices. And those choices can literally mean life or death.

I'm not saying we are totally prepared in our 50s either, but I'll say as much as we started from minimum wage jobs, no college as we just didn't want to and worked our tails off and if we were out of work for a year we'd survive. And we wouldn't run out of food.

Sounds tough and harsh I suppose but it almost seems NO one even tries... we had em at the city office all the time. Didn't get enough hours this week, need extension on my utilities... while texting on the newest I phone....

yeah, I have some sympathy. OTOH I have Jackmountains feelings to an extent too.

Rost, a lot depends upon the area itself. The area that I’m speaking of is across the Mississippi River from me in the rural delta. Got some Po folks there, lots of domestic abuse, drugs, etc. and people born into situations beyond their control.

As our L*rd said, “The poor you shall always have with you”.
There’s poor and that ain’t no sin to be so. Then there’s destitute and that situation is to be pitied.

No lecture meant. Jus sayin.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
[/quote]
I'll take care of me and mine. It's what men do.[/quote]

Until you can’t...no man can always be an island

Strong community is worth a helluva lot...always has been. The trick is figuring those in true need from the parasites

Last edited by Quak; 04/14/20.

GOD Bless America
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
There's been WAY TOO much 'entitlement' doctrine passed around.

In 2012 I had a nicely dressed young man, race/color not mentioned, came by surveying before the election.
He asked me if I didn't prefer "the entitlements" ?................

I said, QUOTE. "You are entitled to get a job and go to work". He didn't have much to say afterward.

BTW- If this CRAP continues much longer.....better be prepared for THIEVES ! !
Farmers dumping Milk, Squash, Tomatoes. What do you expect vegetable prices to do ? HUH !

Best NOT to run out of AMMO !

Im serious.

Last edited by jwall; 04/14/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have several generations that have never experience hardship. Being born in 1946, I've never had it tough either, but did hear accounts of those experiencing the depression. That being, the wife and I have always been quite thrifty, and have enough grub etc to see us through maybe 6 to 8 months. Financially, we prepared for retirement, and $$$ are no issue. Today's metropolitan sector might keep around 2 days of supplies in their homes and likely live check to check.

Some are in dire need through no fault of their own, and likely just as many have had the resources and opportunity to prepare, but simply did not. The good might be some lessons learned from the present situation.

Yes, we have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; but there are no guarantees.

Tough deal for those kicked out of work.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/14/20.

1Minute
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
When you show up at our local food bank with a truckload, no one in line even offers to help unload it.

Zero sympathy here.

Like Kelvin Absolute Zero.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
There's been WAY TOO much 'entitlement' doctrine passed around.

In 2012 I had a nicely dressed young man, race/color not mentioned, came by surveying before the election.
He asked me if I didn't prefer "the entitlements" ?................

I said, QUOTE. "You are entitled to get a job and go to work". He didn't have much to say afterward.

BTW- If this CRAP continues much longer.....better be prepared for THIEVES ! !
Farmers dumping Milk, Squash, Tomatoes. What do you expect vegetable prices to do ? HUH !

Best NOT to run out of AMMO !

Im serious.

Local 10 PM news just said there are Meat Processors shutting down !!

Well, whatchya think ?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We've been dropping food off at the Food Bank for Larimer County for years. Upped the deliveries recently.

Both my wife and my company have VTO (Volunteer Time Off) and we spend about half of it there sorting food and serving.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Cost of living is WAY higher in the city. My wifes nephew makes a lot more in the city than I do but also pays 2200.00 per month for an apartment. Here you can rent a two bedroom apartment for 600.00 a month.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 14 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 771 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.