Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
As most of you can see, I keep a pretty close watch on the hunting status in Botswana via my friend Gerhard Koch of Koch Safaris and in Namibia via my friend Jan du Plessis of Sebrahunt Safaris.

The worst part of this entire WuFlu lock for Botswana is it came just after the first elephant tenders were auctioned. Some outfitters had elephant hunts "sold" within hours of winning the tenders but clients had to back out due to the world-wide lock downs.

Per the info I've gotten from Gerhard, the tender winners were able to convince the MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT, NATURAL RESOURCES CONSERVATION AND TOURISM, The Honorable Philda Kereng to extend all game hunting seasons, both PG and DG hunts in the tenders to the end of December 2020 and is willing to consider extending again, if needed to the end of Feb 2021.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
M3Taco: But wouldn’t the extension run into the Rainy Season and sweltering temps?

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
True that. Either that or the outfitters end up getting stuffed on hundreds of thousands of $$ on concession tenders they've paid and any money they've maybe already spent building camps. Sure as hell the govt isn't going to refund a penny of the millions they took in from the tender auctions since their economy is shutdown worse than the US.

Lots of ele and buff hunting takes place late and early in the calender year, so hot and wet it's not unusual.

Edited to Add:

Gerhard and his friend Jaco won two concessions: NG49, which lies an hour drive S. of Maun, with 15 ele, 2 buff and 2 leopard and CT 27 with 3 ele, that is at the N. end of Gerhard's property about 2.5hrs drive NE of Gaborone. They are working up some seriously good prices for as soon as things open up.

Last edited by M3taco; 04/15/20.
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Exchanged messages with my friends on Botswana over the past couple of days. Looks like the Govt is going to "relax" the internal travel restrictions starting on 30 Apr. Up to this point, everyone was pretty much confined to their homes/property and need to actually apply for a permit just to travel to the stores for food, fuel and supplies.

Things were locked down so tight that they could not even shoot game for meat for resale to the commercial markets, just for their own use. They don't know yet if this will be relaxed also yet or not.

The boarders are only open to freight transport trucks and nothing else and the boarders will continue to remain closed to all other general boarder crossing travel.

I'm now 40/50 that the Jun trip will still go, but still 90/10 the Aug trip will be a "go".

Another positive note, the Botswana Govt extended the formal hunting season for the elephant and cape buffalo concessions they auctioned off a few weeks ago, before the lock down, to the end of Dec 2020 and may be willing to extend it further to the end of Feb 2021.

What this means is, when the airlines and boarders do open back up, hopefully sooner rather than later, there are going to be some seriously smoking good deals on some Botswana elephant, buffalo and leopard hunts going to be offered. I KNOW of one guy who's gong to be offering 3x 30-40lbs+ range, exportable bull elephant, in Botswana, 10-days, all inclusive from the time you're picked up at the airport until you're taken back to the airport for $25K US. Consider this an inside scoop as they are currently planning to announce this around 1 May.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
M3Taco: A “boarder” is someone who rents a living space. A “border” is what I’m sure you mean- a geographic boundary. The English major in me compelled me to point this out.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
IC B2

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
A little bit of good news from my Botswana friends. Yesterday, the President announced his plan for beginning to slowly lift the lockdown WITHIN the country. I have the full *.pdf file of the entire release but it is to large in file size to attach here. So, I've extracted the important points and copied here.

It is important to inform you that the extended national lockdown also involves an exit plan which is based on the success we anticipate. The extension of the current twenty eight (28) day lockdown will be implemented in the following phases:

• Phase 1: We will extend the current lockdown period conditions by one week, that is, from May 1st to May 7th, 2020. During this period, we will also develop and finalize regulations for a phased lifting of lockdown rules in low risk sectors.

• Phase 2: Starting from May 8th to May 14th, we will lift in a phased manner, some lockdown rules while at the same time introducing additional plans for further lifting of the remaining lockdown rules.

• Phase 3: From May 15th to May 22nd, which will be the final week of the lockdown extension, we will be lifting the remaining rules from the original lockdown rules implemented on March 30th, 2020.

Once again, let me remind you fellow citizens that this plan is based on the success we anticipate to achieve as a country. This success is dependent on the cooperation andadherence to the current lockdown rules by citizens and residents of this country. In addition, it is important to note that the plan to relax the lockdown rules will be guided by the COVID-19 disease activity in our communities. That is, a faster relaxation of rules will occur if the threat of COVID-19 becomes very low. However, in the event that the threat of COVID-19 outbreak and transmission, exceeds the current
level at any point, a return to the original twenty eight (28) day national lockdown rules or stricter rules will be put in place.

Again, this is just about lifting the restrictions for WITHIN Botswana. The last "Phase 3" does NOT mean they are lifting the travel ban in/out of the country at that point. In any case, the natives are restless and they entire country has only had a few "reported" cases and only a couple of "reported" deaths. I don't know if I personally believe any numbers being reported from anywhere anyway.

At least things are looking up and maybe the later part of the hunting season will still be available for International hunters.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd be much more concerned about flights, airlines, etc if it were me. Emirates for example isn't flying until at least July, and who knows what the few other airlines that fly over there will do, especially when you get to J'burg. As you're well aware SAA is history, so who will transport firearms?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Pretty sure Air Botswana carries firearms but you have to find a way to get to Joberg!

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Yes, Air Botswana does carry firearms. We used them on our first trip there in Jun 2019 from J'berg to Gabby. Some minor and what I would call "typical" TIA issues. For example, their website baggage policy showed 2-pieces of free checked luggage was authorized, but when we checked in with their desk in J'berg the agent said that it wasn't correct, only one piece. We had to pay something like $25US. Had nothing to do with one of the two pieces we checked were rifle cases. Then the issue of ammo case in or out of the checked bag. Again no big deal.

Landing in Gabby, claiming luggage and rifles was a snap. Everything came off the same luggage belt. Gerhard met us at the Customs desk with the import rifle import permits, quick serial number check and out the door. Going home was a bit difficult. Mostly because the person doing the outbound firearms checks didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. I will be a bit charitable in that with the hunting ban that's been in place for so long it's most likely a lack of training and familiarization because not many hunters have traveled in via Gaborone, usually over in Maun close to the Delta has see a few more firearms pass thru.

Just posted an update on our planned two trips to Bots this year. Summery is we decided to CNX the June trip due to too many variables and timing just too tight. One of the June clients moved to the Aug trip and one had to dropout but is first on the list for one of next years trips I'll plan.

The Aug trip, if things airlines are flying and RSA and Bots are open will be for 3 of the 4 going will meet in Atlanta and Delta over and Air Bots in the next day. Fourth guy already has his ticket on Qatar Air and is going over ahead of the rest of us and hunt a few days in RSA before meeting us in J'berg and then in with us on Air Bots.

Based on what I've been able to find and communicating with "boots on the ground" there, I'm 95/10 hopeful the Aug trip will be a go.

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Hadn't heard from Gerhard in in a few days and he finally popped a quick message today. As I mentioned earlier above, up until this week they and all other game ranchers, have even been prohibited from butchering game and selling to the retail markets. That all opened up this week and they have been very busy in the butchery and delivering meat to the markets. At least they can finally have some income coming in to pay their workers and their bills.

Small step, but in the right direction at least.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by M3taco
Yes, Air Botswana does carry firearms. We used them on our first trip there in Jun 2019 from J'berg to Gabby. Some minor and what I would call "typical" TIA issues. For example, their website baggage policy showed 2-pieces of free checked luggage was authorized, but when we checked in with their desk in J'berg the agent said that it wasn't correct, only one piece. We had to pay something like $25US. Had nothing to do with one of the two pieces we checked were rifle cases. Then the issue of ammo case in or out of the checked bag. Again no big deal.

Landing in Gabby, claiming luggage and rifles was a snap. Everything came off the same luggage belt. Gerhard met us at the Customs desk with the import rifle import permits, quick serial number check and out the door. Going home was a bit difficult. Mostly because the person doing the outbound firearms checks didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. I will be a bit charitable in that with the hunting ban that's been in place for so long it's most likely a lack of training and familiarization because not many hunters have traveled in via Gaborone, usually over in Maun close to the Delta has see a few more firearms pass thru.

Just posted an update on our planned two trips to Bots this year. Summery is we decided to CNX the June trip due to too many variables and timing just too tight. One of the June clients moved to the Aug trip and one had to dropout but is first on the list for one of next years trips I'll plan.

The Aug trip, if things airlines are flying and RSA and Bots are open will be for 3 of the 4 going will meet in Atlanta and Delta over and Air Bots in the next day. Fourth guy already has his ticket on Qatar Air and is going over ahead of the rest of us and hunt a few days in RSA before meeting us in J'berg and then in with us on Air Bots.

Based on what I've been able to find and communicating with "boots on the ground" there, I'm 95/10 hopeful the Aug trip will be a go.

If your friend is flying Qatar Airways from Atlanta to Joberg, he is SOL. I got an email 2 days ago from them cancelling my flight in late September. Apparently when restrictions are lifted, they will only be flying out of Dallas and Chicago. They offered a full refund or 110% flight credit voucher. I took the money. My RSA Hunt is being pushed to next year and combined with my 2021 Caprivi buffalo hunt as both are with the same outfitter. Oh well, at least I will be in Africa twice as long next year for the cost of one airline ticket.

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
JD - I think he is currently booked Qatar Air from Houston to J'berg. He hasn't mentioned anything yet other then he was taking SAA Airlink or Express to Port Elizabeth for a week ahead of us and then meet us back in J'berg and in on Bots Air. together. I know he said his SAA whatever was CNX'd and his friends were just going to pick him up in J'berg and road trip it.

I was looking forward to the first trip on Qatar Air for our June trip. They were exceptionally gracious on the phone with the cancellation. I will be trying them on at least one of next years trips for sure.

Last edited by M3taco; 05/10/20.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have flown them from both ATL and Washington in the past to JNB and their business class is FAR superior to Delta’s or AA/BA for half the price. Hopefully when things settle down next year they will restart service from ATL. They are very bit as good as Emirates and generally about 25% cheaper. In RSA , Airlink is still operational as they are NOT a part of SAA.

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
JD - out of curiosity, I was looking at Qatar Air flts from Chicago to Gabby. The return flt has an hour and a half stop in Doha on the way back. Normally I have a 4hr window I prefer when changing flts, especially carriers or at International airport to make SURE luggage and especially firearms can make the connection.

Question - since you've flown QA a few times and they do have a good rep. do you think a 1.5hr connection in Doha is doable?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The flight I take from Joberg to ATL has essentially 2 return options- one hour twenty minutes or about 7-8 hours in Doha. I always take the short connection with no problem. HOWEVER, I don’t take a rifle and I’m sure that makes a difference. If I were you, I would opt for the longer connection to be safe. You actually have to go through Qatar immigration control and security even though you are not staying. It’s generally quick but if another flight landed at the same time as you, well, could be problematic. If traveling business class( which I always do), their business lounge is unbelievable. About the size or larger than a football field with plenty of dining options, bar, showers, etc. When outbound to Africa, the layover is usually 4 hours, so plenty of time to shower, change clothes, eat, rest. Hope this helps.

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks JD! cool

Our original plans for the June trip we were going to go Qatar from Miami and the semi-direct flight into Gaborone. Was 11 or so hours going in and 4hrs coming back. The Aug trip, one of the guys going is from around Detroit. I looked at flight prices from Chicago r/t all the way to Gabby and the prices were crazy good. He'd just fly to Chigago from Detroit and I'd just meet him there and on in.

Still have a few weeks to see if boarders are going to open in Bots for sure yet and things to sort out a bit more in J'berg.

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Quick update on things in Bots:

- International borders are still closed except for cargo/supplies.

- Internally, they can now travel to their local towns for food, fuel and supplies and they (he) can sell game meat to the local markets

- On 20 May they will be able to travel within their zone without first obtaining a permit but can't travel between zones/districts without a permit.

Last edited by M3taco; 05/14/20.
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
One of the guys going with us on the Aug trip received this email from the US Consular in Gaborone. Things are looking up. I've extracted the pertinent info below.

Date: May 15, 2020 at 10:36:33 AM CDT
Subject: Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Gaborone, Botswana (5/15/2020)

Event: Phase 3 Re-Opening Permits and Requirements

The Government of Botswana has moved to Phase 3 in its gradual re-opening of the economy. Phase 3 provisionally lasts from May 15 through May 22, during which a whole range of shops and industries may re-open.

All business will require temperature screening, face coverings for entry, cleaning and disinfection two to three times per day, hand sanitizing upon entry and throughout the establishment, and a register of all who enter. We recommend bringing your own pen when you plan to shop or enter other businesses. Keep in mind you may be refused entry if you do not comply with all of the restrictions listed.

Botswana is now divided into nine geographical zones. Travel within the zones still requires an individual permit acquired online through Phase 3 (ends provisionally on May 22). Travel between zones is restricted to essential services and employer-submitted work permits (pink and green permits).

If the threat eases, the restrictions may be lifted more quickly. If the threat exceeds the current level at any point, the original 28-day lockdown rules, or stricter rules, will be put back in place.

There are currently no commercial flights, special flights or government charters available, and borders are still closed for regular travel. Be prepared to shelter in place until commercial flights resume or borders open, which could be several months.

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
A little good news to report.

Alcohol sales will resume Wed, 3 Jun.

Small step but, at least in the right direction.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Did you ever get your August flights lined up with Qatar Air? Last I looked on Google Flights, Qatar isn't even an option until September. I also thought I read where J'burg isn't going to reopen until September 2021. So much conflicting information out there I'm trying to sort it out, not intending to argue about it. Thanks.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
735 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.