Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have found Federal blue box often shoots better, and in multiple cartridges, than handloads, and would NOT hesitate to use it on deer/antelope near or far.

Also FWIW, all the Federal blue box, as well as Premium, chronographs right at advertised velocities.

Hornady American Whitetail not so much, routinely slower by up to 150 fps.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd try some of them shiny chrome and black Winchesters

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WStrayer
For a deer as large as the mule deer, I would try to find something in a 180 grain load that the gun likes.

There isn't a mule deer alive that any .30-06 cup and core 150 grain hunting bullet from any of the major ammunition companies wouldn't kill, when placed properly placed. Find one that your rifle likes, put it just behind the deer's shoulder, and enjoy your venison. Don't over think it.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
That is for sure buffybr!!

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
That is for sure buffybr!!

Molon Labe
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
you do not say what rifle. I have several 30-06s. I doubt you can find one that shoots better than this ammo. https://thecmp.org/cmp-offers-high-quality-30-06-ammo-from-creedmoor-sports/ . the scenar has been praised in other threads. only way 6o know is to try it . but any 165 grain game bullet is a great one. ron

Last edited by roninflag; 04/25/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner
My go to factory load for my old Mauser has always ended up being the Federal Premium 165 gr. BTSP Sierra Game King rounds. Never had a deer walk away from this one. It's scary accurate out of this old sporterized infantry rifle.
I used that for years in .30-06 also and killed deer very well with it out to 300+ yards, but also have had really good accuracy out of Hornady factory loads, and believe it or not Remington Corlokt, all in 165 grain. Of late I've taken to using 180 SST or Speer Hotcor 180 RN handloads with 58.5 grains of H4831. We were running into some pretty hefty hogs on our rounds and I just stepped up a little in bullet weight. Probably wasn't necessary.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by roninflag
you do not say what rifle. I have several 30-06s. I doubt you can find one that shoots better than this ammo. https://thecmp.org/cmp-offers-high-quality-30-06-ammo-from-creedmoor-sports/ . the scenar has been praised in other threads. but with out trying it . but any 165 grain game bullet is a great one. ron

Looks like they don't offer that any more. Too bad, I'd try a couple of hundred rounds.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Okie John - Darn I do not see it for sale now. RickyBobby- I have quite few 30-06s. some are accurate enough to shoot a mule deer at 400 . with the load they like. I use lapua brass, 210m, and varget with several 165, 167 and 168 hunting bullets. very liitle experience with factory ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My go to factory load for my old Mauser has always ended up being the Federal Premium 165 gr. BTSP Sierra Game King rounds. Never had a deer walk away from this one. It's scary accurate out of this old sporterized infantry rifle.

That has been the most consistent factory ammo in several different 30-06s for me over the years. Taken whitetail from 20-200 yards (very few true long shots where I hunt) with it and bullet performance has been great.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Dude I've been preaching Game Kings for years and so many people up their nose at it like they're the plague. Forty years of one shot DRT kills tells me different. Whether they're store bought loads or out of my own loading kitchen, they're killers of Deer.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Filaman

Dude I've been preaching Game Kings for years and so many people up their nose at it like they're the plague. Forty years of one shot DRT kills tells me different. Whether they're store bought loads or out of my own loading kitchen, they're killers of Deer.

No it probably wasn't. Whatever kills a deer is more than deadly enough for hogs. Around here the .223 rules for hogs. They die rather easily. Hit 'em in the neck dude!

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

No it probably wasn't. Whatever kills a deer is more than deadly enough for hogs. Around here the .223 rules for hogs. They die rather easily. Hit 'em in the neck dude!

Originally Posted by buffybr
Originally Posted by WStrayer
For a deer as large as the mule deer, I would try to find something in a 180 grain load that the gun likes.

There isn't a mule deer alive that any .30-06 cup and core 150 grain hunting bullet from any of the major ammunition companies wouldn't kill, when placed properly placed. Find one that your rifle likes, put it just behind the deer's shoulder, and enjoy your venison. Don't over think it.

No truer words were ever spoken or typed. And I've found that to be extra true with Game Kings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

165gr gamekings are my go to deer bullet in 30 caliber as well. Worked wonders in my 308s and 30-06s over the years.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Factory fodder from my 3006 subalpine. High foul shot 3 well under MOA at 100 yards.

Attached Images

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
Factory fodder from my 3006 subalpine. High foul shot 3 well under MOA at 100 yards.

Maybe this is better. I use the sling on the bench, as you see here, it really helps me control the “jump.”

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Can’t go wrong with either bullet. I’d shoot a couple groups with each load at 400 and pick one.

This.

A five shot group with each into 400 yard targets and most likely they will no longer be equal. Probably far from equal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best thing about the 30-06 for deer is it is powerful enough that proper shot placement doesn't matter nearly as much. it doesn't matter the bullet either which is a huge plus! there is zero reason to use anything smaller on deer sized game. period. One need only look at the .223/.243 for deer threads to verify these facts.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
The best thing about the 30-06 for deer is it is powerful enough that proper shot placement doesn't matter nearly as much. it doesn't matter the bullet either which is a huge plus! there is zero reason to use anything smaller on deer sized game. period. One need only look at the .223/.243 for deer threads to verify these facts.

You may be under estimating shot placement.

I’ve seen a WT run a long way, blasted by a 26 Nosler. (Not mine, my bud’s).

Can’t buy your premise, bullets don’t matter as much.

Respectfully disagree on both accounts, although I think I understand what you’re trying to say.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
factory ammo for me shoots ok, but as a loony this year i will reload some 30-06 ammo to bear hunt with this fall in my pre 64 model 70 Winchester that i inherited from a dear old friend who killed plenty deer in the old days with this neat old rifle,probably load 180 gr. Nosler Partitions for the bear hunt.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,748
Posts18,457,795
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.