Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Was at local gun plumber on Monday. He had a new Mausingfield build on his counter for a customer. Looked fancy and nice.

I have ZERO interest in a custom rifle right now but I seem to remember them being touted when they started and been zero since.

Anyone here have one? Thoughts?

*pure bench racing - I'm bored, tho my new copy of Sixguns by Elmer Keith showed up today. I should get started on that*

Me

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, I really dig them. Be one awesome build.

Semper Fi
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
If I remember right - this one was carbon fiber barrel, .28 Nosler in what looked like a Manner's stock.

Not my particular cup of tea but I get it.

Me

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not mine either but each to their own.

Semper Fi
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Guys there said the action was pretty nice to work with. Dunno - I wonder if with all the "custom" actions we have now - what the real difference is between any of them.

Me

IC B2

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I thought a 1903 was a Mausingfield

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by teal
Guys there said the action was pretty nice to work with. Dunno - I wonder if with all the "custom" actions we have now - what the real difference is between any of them.

Maybe not but I like the way they work and I bet they are butter smooth.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have two.

Run smooth. Feed well from DBM, will supposedly run with a bdl style bottom metal but i have not gone that route. Hell for stout. I have shouldered barrels and Savage style barrels as well. Super easy to swap.

My biggest gripe is their rail height. An LRHS in the lowest picatinny rings i can find (Ferrel) still has a good half inch of air between the objective and barrel, so you are going to want as high a comb stock you can get or go adjustable cheek.

The latest version of the Mausingfield has a rail interface that would work great for ringmount. ARC makes one; they only come in Titanium and run about $750, when you can get them. Im not crazy about this version at all. Ted says itll never move but to me the whole setup looks very Rube Goldberg and is a step back in design.

I really wanted to build a 375 h&h on one of these actions but the combination of smallish ejection port and rediculous scope height has pretty much put an end to that idea.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I just finished a little 6x47 Lapua on an ARC Archimedes action with a #4 Rock Creek. If i do another ARC build itll be on that action. It by far is their best mousetrap.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BeardHunter
I just finished a little 6x47 Lapua on an ARC Archimedes action with a #4 Rock Creek. If i do another ARC build itll be on that action. It by far is their best mousetrap.

I’d love to see pictures of it if you could. Sounds pretty slick.

Semper Fi
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have two.

Run smooth. Feed well from DBM, will supposedly run with a bdl style bottom metal but i have not gone that route. Hell for stout. I have shouldered barrels and Savage style barrels as well. Super easy to swap.

My biggest gripe is their rail height. An LRHS in the lowest picatinny rings i can find (Ferrel) still has a good half inch of air between the objective and barrel, so you are going to want as high a comb stock you can get or go adjustable cheek.

The latest version of the Mausingfield has a rail interface that would work great for ringmount. ARC makes one; they only come in Titanium and run about $750, when you can get them. Im not crazy about this version at all. Ted says itll never move but to me the whole setup looks very Rube Goldberg and is a step back in design.

I really wanted to build a 375 h&h on one of these actions but the combination of smallish ejection port and rediculous scope height has pretty much put an end to that idea.

Direct me to the $750 Ti receiver. I would never consider one with the god awful bolt handle. It is worse than nasty!

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yeah what’s with that weird donut thing above the knob? What purpose does it serve?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Did they have to make it so ugly? Some good design features but I would like it much better if it looked more like a Mauser or Springfield.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
squint your eyes....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
squint your eyes....

huntsman:
Evening to you Don, I hope this finds you well as can be all things being how they are.

My goodness I had to look that up to see what you all were talking about.

While I try to be positive typically, I've got to admit that bolt handle makes it tough...

Perhaps later on in the evening when my old eyes are even more tired and the squinting will be more effective?

It does make one wonder who thought that art deco door knob would be a good idea though, no?

All the best to you sir, stay well and thanks for the chuckle.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Tejano
Did they have to make it so ugly? Some good design features but I would like it much better if it looked more like a Mauser or Springfield.

Just have Hotrod _ Lincoln forge and stretch it.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There’s a pretty good reason behind the Mausingfield bolt handle design actually.

When you “knife edge” the bolt open with your index finger, the radius is designed to make better contact throughout the up stroke.

The down side is its rather hideous.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I have two.

Direct me to the $750 Ti receiver. I would never consider one with the god awful bolt handle. It is worse than nasty!

I think the ring mount is $750, not the action.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Yes the ringmount is 750, not the action.

The tactical lampshade is like that girl down the street who may not have looked the best but had other skills and an unlocked window.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.