Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think a bourbon subforum would be a hoot and a half!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I think a bourbon subforum would be a hoot and a half!

This.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Anybody remember George Dickel? I never drank it but used to enjoy the ads: "Give em the Dickel." I find Knob Creek locally for $22.95 a fifth and thats what I usually buy. BH is very good straight up, and I read they bottle it at 80 proof precisely to get the smoothness that most 100 proofs lack. At $29.95 for BH I always go back to Knob Creek in the long run, drink it on a large ice cube. My FIL is an Evan Williams fan, but I have no reason to change. He drinks it with a splash of 7-Up. Ugh. BTW, Knob Creek, BH and a host of other "craft" Kentucky bourbons are now owned entirely by Suntory. Check it out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For those of you in or near the Twin Cities, relatively new distillery in Waconia. Full disclosure, the owner is a friend of mine.

https://www.jcarverdistillery.com/bourbons

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Limapapa
Anybody remember George Dickel? I never drank it but used to enjoy the ads: "Give em the Dickel." I find Knob Creek locally for $22.95 a fifth and thats what I usually buy. BH is very good straight up, and I read they bottle it at 80 proof precisely to get the smoothness that most 100 proofs lack. At $29.95 for BH I always go back to Knob Creek in the long run, drink it on a large ice cube. My FIL is an Evan Williams fan, but I have no reason to change. He drinks it with a splash of 7-Up. Ugh. BTW, Knob Creek, BH and a host of other "craft" Kentucky bourbons are now owned entirely by Suntory. Check it out.

I had Dickel #12 last year after seeing a positive review and it wasn't my thing. It had a mineral/vitamin (think Flintstone vitamin) note that was very dominant for me that I just could not get past. Some people apparently like it, or they don't taste it the same way, but it's a one and done for me. Knob Creek is a staple and I'm rarely without it in my cabinet. It's a solid bourbon. Basil Hayden at 80 proof is just way to watered down for me. I think it's basically the same mashbill (recipe) as Knob Creek that has just been watered down to 80 proof. Buy the Knob Creek and add your own water to the level of heat you can tolerate without knocking the flavors down. I just can't do 80 proof bourbon any more. 100-120 proof is where my preferences lie for most expressions. The flavors are really packed in there at the higher proofs, if you can stand the heat.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My local liquor guy takes pretty good care of me. I stop in once a week to see what's new and fun. He keeps a nice selection and rotates out of things, so its all good. Yesterday it was a bottle of 18yr Elijah Craig. MSRP 149...I said no thanks. My stash is a bit out of control right now anyway.

I do have my eye on a bottle of Old GrandDad 114 on the bottom shelf over there. We'll see what the afternoon brings...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like Bulleit as good as any for inexpensive bourbon. I’d just as soon spend the extra money though and get my favorite bourbon...Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree on the lower proofs, I have a bottle of Jeffersons Reserve at 80 proof and its too watery for me anymore. Some on the high end are way too much though. I bought a 1792 Full Proof "Bourbon of the Year" and it was way over my head...at first. I left it for 6 weeks and was about to give it to a friend so I poured a glass for myself. Wow was I surprised at the changes in that time.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Value? Jim Beam

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by cooper57m
100-120 proof is where my preferences lie for most expressions. The flavors are really packed in there at the higher proofs, if you can stand the heat.

I agree on the lower proofs, I have a bottle of Jeffersons Reserve at 80 proof and its too watery for me anymore. Some on the high end are way too much though.

Old Forrester 1920 has an awful lot goin' on in there, which I really like. But it sure puts the, "sip" in "sippin' whiskey". blush

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My local liquor guy takes pretty good care of me. I stop in once a week to see what's new and fun. He keeps a nice selection and rotates out of things, so its all good. Yesterday it was a bottle of 18yr Elijah Craig. MSRP 149...I said no thanks. My stash is a bit out of control right now anyway.

I do have my eye on a bottle of Old GrandDad 114 on the bottom shelf over there. We'll see what the afternoon brings...

The Old Grand Dad 114 is definitely worthy. It's a high rye content bourbon so it will be on the more savory, spicy and peppery side of things, which I am sometimes in the mood for. If you like Rye Whiskey or high rye bourbons, you'll probably like the OGD 114. It's a good value.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
100-120 proof is where my preferences lie for most expressions. The flavors are really packed in there at the higher proofs, if you can stand the heat.

I agree on the lower proofs, I have a bottle of Jeffersons Reserve at 80 proof and its too watery for me anymore. Some on the high end are way too much though.

Old Forrester 1920 has an awful lot goin' on in there, which I really like. But it sure puts the, "sip" in "sippin' whiskey". blush

FC

The Old Forester 1920 is one of my all time favorite bourbons. The 100 proof signature Old Forester is a great value. Old Forester is doing many things right, right now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Weller's. Not even close. Less than 20 bucks per 750 ml. You're welcome.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I killed a bottle of Weller's SR this winter. It didn't do it for me, wasn't even as good as Buffalo Trace in my mind. Which one do you like and what do you like about it? $35 bucks if I remember right.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good god !!!!! With honey, vanilla, and some of the chit ya all put in it. What the fug difference does it make what kind ya drink??

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Was out and about yesterday for a few necessities, etc. Went by one of my favorite chain liquor stores, Speck's, and scored a 1.75 litre of Evan Williams bottled in bond 100 proof as suggested by some here on the fire. Cheep priced at just shy of $25 OTD, cash price. At that price, I didn't see how I could go wrong. Had two decent shots of it just before bedtime. Not sure just yet if I like it or not. I will certainly drink it. I have also been wanting to try Henry McKenna, but one big bottle at a time is enough. As of now, my favorite bourbons are Weller Reserve, Four Roses Single Barrel, Basil Hayden, and Buffalo Trace, not necessarily in that order. Additionally, and I know that it is Tennessee whisky and not bourbon, I am rather fond of George Dickel black label. Just my particular taste, but I like my Dickel black label better than the yellow label. Also like Dickel better than Jack Daniel's Tennessee whisky, which is fine stuff itself. Someone also had mentioned Old Forester. I had some at an event last summer and I recall being impressed with it. Will have to put it on the "will try" list.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm having a couple fingers of Evan Williams Bottled in Bond right now and it's delicious. It's not overly complex and has light flavor notes (vanilla, light fruit, light oak, simple syrup) but no off notes. It's not ethanol forward or bitter. It's a bourbon that is simple and light and sweet, yet at 100 proof has some body and bite to it. For the money, I think it's a great value. IMO it's a leader at it's price point.

P
pru Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I'm having a couple fingers of Evan Williams Bottled in Bond right now and it's delicious. It's not overly complex and has light flavor notes (vanilla, light fruit, light oak, simple syrup) but no off notes. It's not ethanol forward or bitter. It's a bourbon that is simple and light and sweet, yet at 100 proof has some body and bite to it. For the money, I think it's a great value. IMO it's a leader at it's price point.

Yep,
to my retarded palate, It does just fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by woodson
WT101 is one I’ll continue to stock. Evan Williams, IMO, is suitable as a mixer for sure.

That is my general combo. WT101 if drinking straight, EW Black for mixing. As others have said, The EW Bottled in Bond (White Label) is a notable step up from the Black and the price is't bad.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by woodson
WT101 is one I’ll continue to stock. Evan Williams, IMO, is suitable as a mixer for sure.
Evan Williams might be good to keep around for in-laws or other undesirables you don't want showing back up, but only if you don't have access to that Jesse James varnish-shixt. Flying fook...try some f u cking Old Crow. Palatable.

Wanting Ethan Edwards to weigh in with his recommendation for a reasonable priced bourbon. Old Crow?
Have to confess I like Evan Black and Single Barrel.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 7 invisible), 1,573 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,563
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.