Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Flyer01 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Gentlemen,

I went to begin bedding an Ruger Mark II today and discovered while, I have plenty of acraglas left, the release agent has turned to a rubber like paste.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a easily acquired subsitute release agent ?

Thanks
Tim,

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer Johnson's paste wax
I have heard of using Pam cooking spray but have no first hand experience with it.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I�ve had very good results using Johnsons paste wax, but I�m sure any other brand would work as well. smile Warm it up in the sun a bit, or stick the closed can it a pan of hot water, brush it on with a paint brush and let it dry.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used Johnson's for years and then switched to Hornady one-shot. It works great and is fast and easy... I coat everything below the stock line with Johnson's before reassembling though as it does a very good job preventing rust.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
wax works well! really anything that leaves a fine "skin" will prevent bonding. I've noticed that acraglass and the like don't stick to masking or electrical tape at all but this is too thick to be of use. The trick in to have the smallest skin that gives thorough coverage. Go with the wax - maybe try a test piece first to convince yourself you'll get the pieces separated.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used Johnson's wax as well, use as the first two gentleman described. While I don't know where you are in Alberta, I would think an industrial plastics supplier in Calgary, Edmonton or Red Deer could find a you a similiar product that I've used. I have been using a PVA industrial mould release agent which I get from an outfit called IPS in Kelowna. It is used by the local boat, RV and hot tub factories for release of fiberglass parts. By the way, from the same distributor, I use a product called "Powerfil 10EH" for bedding. It is an industrial epoxy used in boat manufacturing, and I've used it for something like 20 years now. It can be bought in 16 oz. tubs, and is quite a bit more economical than the 1 application bedding kits. Good luck.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Flyer01
Gentlemen,

I went to begin bedding an Ruger Mark II today and discovered while, I have plenty of acraglas left, the release agent has turned to a rubber like paste.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a easily acquired subsitute release agent ?

Thanks
Tim,

I've always used Pam cooking spray. Others will use paste wax.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I used Johnson's for years and then switched to Hornady one-shot. It works great and is fast and easy... I coat everything below the stock line with Johnson's before reassembling though as it does a very good job preventing rust.

I have wondered if One Shot would work as a release..........may try that.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
that'd be pretty slick if you could apply it evenly -- it's certainly something you'd never run out of / always have on hand !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hornady One-Shot. Easily the best I've used, absolute no brainer.

IC B3

F
Flyer01 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Gentlemen,

Thank You for all the suggestions, have some one shot on hand, will try that later today.

tim,

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
First, you can buy bigger containers of the realease agent from Brownell. I havenever had it go bad, but I make sure the container is always sealed well. I like it over all the other suggestions because when you strip it off with hot water, you know it is all gone. This is great if you need to reapply some epoxy to some area. All the other stuff is hardto get off and you are never quite sure you got it all. Although they all work

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Saddlesore
Why take it off? It keeps corrosion away and more! wink

Would worry about PAM though as it is a grease that will go rancid and get gummy...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Just saying that if you need to take it off, it can be harder if you need to add more epoxy. I always apply Johnson Paste wax to metal and stock before hunting season

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Kiwi shoe polish (clear) works pretty good also. Use Q-tips to get in those hard to reach places.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just beded a rifle with steel bed and used One Shot for the release agent. It is very easy to use.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
F
Flyer01 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks again for all the suggestions, tried some one shot and it worked great.

Tim,

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I use Kiwi neutral shoe polish as a release agent .Clean metal parts and mask off clearances with high quality masking tape. Heat the barreled action slightly with a spotlight from aproximately 12". Use cotton patches and q-tips to apply a thin coat of wax.
Let sit for ten minutes and buff with another cotton patch.Done.
Chet Brown used a mold release wax in making stocks . I have experimented with most common used products but the Kiwi shoe wax -$2.59 Cdn /can works best and is easy to find and use.
Glenn

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use Johnson's Paste Wax myself. Just rub your finger around the top of it and then spread on the metal parts. Never had one stick yet. Just make sure you get everything that the bedding will possably come in contact with.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I used Johnson's paste wax when bedding the forearm of an old (1907) Remington Rolling Block rifle. Worked like a charm!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
106 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,412 guests, and 680 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.