Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
So this will be an M4-esque but in dedicated 22LR.

Barrel is ordered from CMMG, not sure how soon it will ship....might take a few weeks?

Anyhoo, figured I'd take the forum along for the ride.

Here's the barrel I'm building it around,

https://cmmginc.com/product/barrel-assembly-16-1-m4-4140cm-sbn-22lr/

[Linked Image from cmmginc.com]

I already have a CMMG 22LR conversion BCG, so just need to swap the chamber adaptor for the collar. Have some Black Dog 25-round mags, and ordered some Black Dog 15-rounders for a more compact feel.

I'll update as things come together.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Obviously this will not need a gas tube for function. I'm thinking of putting one in there anyways, to lock the barrel nut in place, and provide positive index for handguards.

Any thoughts from those who've already been down this road?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ahhh... the 22lr "Sprorting Chamber" smile

Looking forward to the build.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like taper pins,but hate M4 hand guards. I'd saw the block/sight like always and stab a FF tube aboard and never look back. I'm always happy to use a real barrel nut too. Hint.

I drive a dedicated Peezer 22LR,to compliment my Garrow Hummers and Franklin Whizzum. It's a handy bitch and rather light,all things considered. Have contemplated converting it to a side folder,beings there's no buffer or spring requisite. No gas tube for me.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

BD 15's expressly,for me and CMC trigger....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Side folder !!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
You'll like it.
Mine doesn't lock folded, the only thing I hate about it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Montana Marine, Stick & others with dedicated 22LR uppers,

I'm pretty interested in these builds and would like to do one. My main concern is what kind of 50 yard accuracy they get and reliability.

Thanks for posting this.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jerry,

Can't speak for the builds, but I have a PSA 20" 22 LR upper that's very accurate from 25 to 100 yards (haven't tested past that). like 1-1/2" at 100.

Last edited by David_Walter; 04/18/20.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I purchased this PSA uper about a year ago, and using Blackdog mags, have had zero malfunctions using good ammo.

I really like having a 22lr in an AR platform that has the same feel as a 5.56
I put a Sig red dot sight on mine.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...ightweight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch1.html

[Linked Image from palmettostatearmory.com]

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks for all the info guys.

Nice looking setups.

I intend to keep this one along the lines of the M4, and if it will hold around 1" at 50 yards that will be fine with me.

The CMMG conversion BCG I have already, is only good for about 1" at 25 yards. Of course that was to be expected with a chamber adaptor in an oversize bore with the wrong twist rate.....grin.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
This is the direction I'm headed. Something very similar to my M4 style 5.56.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Partial pandemic build... LOL. It's a BCA side charger16" 1in8 5.56 with 15" ff handguard. $250ish. I know, I know....

Will have another lower assembly with a fixed butt, however, shipping seems to not be a priority with the vendors involved.

Wanted this longer sight radius and digging the way its coming together. Will be in enough cheaper than the FN to matter to me, which I have a 1-4 scope on....

Next?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
^^^ Nice!

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Got a shipping notification from CMMG today. So it looks like they are not swamped too badly.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dang, got a lower and upper sitting around and can't decide on what to build. Might just be a 22LR pistol after seeing these. I have not heard of the BlackDog mags Going to give them a look.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
The Black Dog mags are what CMMG includes in their conversions, but they are the long ones, 25 rounds (10 for CA and other freedom deprives places)

But you can get the shorter BD mags that hold 15 rounds. They are the size of a 20 round AR mag.

I have three of the long 25-rounders on hand from my CMMG conversion unit I bought some time ago, but I ordered three more of the 15-rounders through Midway.

The 15-rounders arrived yesterday from Midway. I test-ran them using the CMMG conversion adaptor in a 5.56 barrel. They are a nice size, and ran perfectly.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by scoony
Dang, got a lower and upper sitting around and can't decide on what to build. Might just be a 22LR pistol after seeing these. I have not heard of the BlackDog mags Going to give them a look.

This is a 10.5" 5.56, with the CMMG 22LR adaptor and 25 round mag.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Got the two lowers today.... Another "pistol" methinks.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Got the two lowers today.... Another "pistol" methinks.

5.56 or...?

I kind of want to put together a 300BO upper at some point. I like the looks of this 12.5" barrel from CMMG,

https://cmmginc.com/product/barrel-assembly-12-5-mr-4140cm-sbn-300-blk-wlpgb/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took the easy way out. My first venture into AR pistols and the 300BO cartridge is going to be a Springfield Saint Victor that should arrive at my local Sportsman's Warehouse in a couple of days. I have been scrounging scarce reloading accessories and components, so ammo will have to suffice as my "build."

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I took the easy way out. My first venture into AR pistols and the 300BO cartridge is going to be a Springfield Saint Victor that should arrive at my local Sportsman's Warehouse in a couple of days. I have been scrounging scarce reloading accessories and components, so ammo will have to suffice as my "build."

Sounds nice, I'd be interested to hear what you think when you get it up and running.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure!

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
So far I've managed to convince myself 5.56 is the way for me and the AR... However, I'd like a 9mm carbine as an appropriate suppressor is in jail awaiting freedom. Kinda getting funner with more parts to swap around. Got a green laser in today - for chits and giggles.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Barrel came in today from CMMG, so I got her assembled. I was contemplating putting a gas tube in there to lock the barrel nut, but really wasn't needed. CMMG put a roll pin in the FSB for the handguard cap to index on, so I went with that. Still had to index the barrel nut, as the Magpul handguards do index aft on the barrel nut. Everything went together without a hitch.

It was blowing 20 mph or so, and I zero'd irons at 25 yards.

That should give a solid point blank range out to about 85 yards.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Cool. Enjoy the fine weather.

Came across this Walther Hammerali 22lr. Looks interesting?

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/109265/redirect

--- Kid Rock 2022

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mtnboomer - highly recommend. I sell them and my personal and employee one’s have been great. Mine has a hiccup not closing the bolt with the bolt releases sometimes on reloading a fresh mag. But I just hit the mag release and drop it a hair and then close the bolt and recharge. Hasn’t been enough of a problem to do anything about so far. Mine is the only one doing that. It’s actually all aluminum gun versus most of the plastic ar-22. I put a sig Romeo on for around $100 and it is a fun plinker. First AR-22 I like besides the kriss vector one that is around $600. Magazines seem good so far too and are available from two sources already. I think you will enjoy it.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm going to pin on a rifle lower, and an SWFA 10X for some accuracy trials. Most times I plan on leaving it with the irons though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put a SWFA on my PSA 22, then after accuracy trials, put a Sig Romeo5 on as the resident optic.

Works good for me and allows me to practice with a 22 configured like my ARpistol.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Cool. Enjoy the fine weather.

Came across this Walther Hammerali 22lr. Looks interesting?

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/109265/redirect

Looks nice. I'd be curious if it is compatible with Black Dog magazines. Mainly because most times I prefer the shorter 15 round format.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I put a SWFA on my PSA 22, then after accuracy trials, put a Sig Romeo5 on as the resident optic.

Works good for me and allows me to practice with a 22 configured like my ARpistol.

That makes good sense.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
So here's what I got out of it with a scope, fixed stock, bipod. Only 25 yards, wind was blowing over 20 mph, but my position was pretty solid.

Not a tack driver, but I wasn't expecting it. It's back in irons and carbine lower. It's a fun gun, and practical AR substitute.

3/4" with Velocitors
1" with Fed Target
1 1/2" with Fed bulk.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks for the input. wink

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
You bet.

I really wanted to run this full-time with irons, but my 59 y/o eyes might not be up to it.

After removing the 10X, and putting irons back on, my group sizes almost doubled at 25 yards, and that was off the same bipod/rear bag. The fact is I cannot see a clear front sight, even through the smaller aperture.

I may need to come to terms with that, and consider a small optic. With the irons, I'm still 'minute of pop can' out to 75 yards or so, but it's easy to miss.

I do have a Primary Arms 1X prism sitting on the bench, might have to mount it up.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ordered a PSA 10.5" 5.56 pistol kit for the next lower. This was minutes after concluding I absolutely didn't need to... LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I had to put the 6ARC and 9mm carbine on the back burner. The Whorehouse got me with an email for the Walther Hammerli tac r1 22lr $330 out the door in a week or so.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 06/07/20.

--- Kid Rock 2022

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I had to put the 6ARC and 9mm carbine on the back burner. The Whorehouse got me with an email for the Walther Hammerali tac r1 22lr $330 out the door in a week or so.

This one?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yah, that thing.

--- Kid Rock 2022

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Very nice.

One thing the Israelis taught us, the .22Lr has a place in riot control.

Just saying.....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Very nice.

One thing the Israelis taught us, the .22Lr has a place in riot control.

Just saying.....

It's hard to gather a following when you walk with a limp.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
The Hammerli looks nice. Looks like an alloy receiver.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks. I was inspired by recent events..... While it's not an AR, it's well done I think and hope.

Yes aluminum upper, lower, and handguard. Adjustable for sub-sonic, regular and high velocity.

MM, Thanks for letting me jak your thread.

Seems they like these over both seas, so to speak.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Whorehouse got me with an email for the Walther Hammerli tac r1 22lr $330 out the door in a week or so.
Interesting. Can the barrel be cleaned from the breach?

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks. I was inspired by recent events..... While it's not an AR, it's well done I think and hope.

Yes aluminum upper, lower, and handguard. Adjustable for sub-sonic, regular and high velocity.

MM, Thanks for letting me jak your thread.

Not a problem. Let us know how it shoots.

My DIY is no tack-driver, but it fairness, I need to put 500 rounds through it to season the barrel. Also I'm using a basic mil-spec trigger.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Tyrone
The Whorehouse got me with an email for the Walther Hammerli tac r1 22lr $330 out the door in a week or so.
Interesting. Can the barrel be cleaned from the breach?

Third video shows the breakdown, Seems to come right apart into an upper and lower, just push out a pin like a real AR. I have looked at it more since buying than before and I am liking it. Again, it's not an AR, won't take AR triggers etc. But, I think the faux buffer tube is removable so other butt stocks can be attached. Will be curious with the accuracy given it's Euro pedigree. Oh, and it's a somewhat common AR-ish 22LR magazine used on a few other offerings if that matters. Comes with one 20 rounder IIRC. Not sure about that barrel assembly with liner or whatever. Looks fun altogether.

--- Kid Rock 2022

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Walther, Umarex and Hammerli all tied together does not instill confidence to me. Just look at what Umarex did with Colt...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by TWR
Walther, Uramex and Hammerli all tied together does not instill confidence to me. Just look at what Umarex did with Colt...

?

--- Kid Rock 2022

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Hammerli gun is built in Germany by Umarex, the same company that gave us the Colt licensed M4-22 that is largely considered junk. Colt didn't build that one and Hammerli didn't build this one.

Last edited by TWR; 06/08/20.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Okay. Seems to be of a similar design, if not the same... When I get the chance to wring it out, I'll report back.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 06/08/20.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The Whorehouse came through.

Faux AR Hammerli Umarex Walther

Well, hands on it has the feel and balance exactly as an AR. Mag moves more than I'd like. Aluminum upper, lower and pretty cool M-lok handguard. Butt rattles (duct tape? set screw?) like a cheap AR but I like the 5 positions and rubber pad. I might put it on an AR15. Trigger is wayyyy heavy. Flip up plastic sights are, uhhh cheapass but maybe ok. Someday I will shoot it, hopefully suppressor goes right on. Might be fun.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Back up with questions. The Hammerali is long gone and considering putting together a 22lr upper. Lots of 22lr ammo.

How bad is fast twist 556 barrel for doing this? 2" at 50 yards maybe, or should I be adding a 22lr barrel? if using a 556 barrel, shorter or longer makes sense?

The CMCG Bravo kits are just drop in simple? Hmmm.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I just finished these two.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Back up with questions. The Hammerali is long gone and considering putting together a 22lr upper. Lots of 22lr ammo.

How bad is fast twist 556 barrel for doing this? 2" at 50 yards maybe, or should I be adding a 22lr barrel? if using a 556 barrel, shorter or longer makes sense?

I have one of those CMMG kits. I've never done any serious accuracy testing with it. Mostly let my son bang steel with it and a red dot. Works great so long as you keep it loaded with 40gr bullets. At some point I should pop a real scope on it, run a half dozen different ammo's through it to see what it can really do.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

MCH,
Those look nice.

What stocks scopes and rails are they wearing?

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

I tested a CMMG drop-in adaptor at 50 yards, using a 14.7" 1/7 chrome-lined 5.56 barrel. at 50 yards I got 1.5" with Fed Tgt, 2.0" with 60gr Aguila subsonic, 3.0" with CCI Velocitor.

I've been meaning to try it in a 1/9 no-chrome barrel, haven't gotten around to it yet,

Pics and details in this post I put up a while back,

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../13764559/cmmg-22lr-adaptor#Post13764559

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

MCH,
Those look nice.

Top is Seekins 10X Ray stock, Coda Hand guard, JP scope mount, and Zeiss Conquest V4 1-4X24

Bottom is Smoke Composites Stock and Hang guard, JP scope mount, and Zeiss Conquest V4 1-4X24

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

MCH,
Those look nice.

Top is Seekins 10X Ray stock, Coda Hand guard, JP scope mount, and Zeiss Conquest V4 1-4X24

Bottom is Smoke Composites Stock and Hang guard, JP scope mount, and Zeiss Conquest V4 1-4X24

Thank you for the info.

I like the look of that Seekins stock.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 03/06/21.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I tested a CMMG drop-in adaptor at 50 yards, using a 14.7" 1/7 chrome-lined 5.56 barrel. at 50 yards I got 1.5" with Fed Tgt, 2.0" with 60gr Aguila subsonic, 3.0" with CCI Velocitor.

I've been meaning to try it in a 1/9 no-chrome barrel, haven't gotten around to it yet,

Pics and details in this post I put up a while back,

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../13764559/cmmg-22lr-adaptor#Post13764559

Thanks Shane! Much appreciated.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 450yukon, 13 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,384
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.