Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
my hats off to all Navy combat veterans, especially submariners.
some great action footage of depth charging going on right now.
Krauts are releasing oil to try deception.....made in 1957, I will still in diapers, yes CLOTH diapers, lol...

BP-B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"Der Alte Dessauer!"

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As I've said before, there isn't a hull strong enough to contain me should I wake up and find myself inside one of those things. My admiration for those who serve in them is immeasurable.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
My best friend is a NCO in the submarine service.

I cant watch submarine movies!

I am MAGA.
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A friend was a sonar supervisor in a Permit class attack sub, early '80s. (USSR was still around) He has some pretty interesting stories, and pictures of Vladivostok harbor taken through the periscope.

Dale

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
MY FIL served on diesels, early 50's. Funny thing is he gets seasick, and is the only person I have ever actually seen turn a lovely shade of light green. Chums well, too. Once submerged, he was fine. He hated the surface!

A cousin and a nephew served on nukes.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I had a neighbor, now deceased, who served aboard a German u-boat in WW II. Hans' boat was sunk by the Brits, who sailed away, leaving the survivors behind. An American ship happened along, plucked them out of the water, and brought them to the U.S., where he spent the rest of the war as a POW. After being repatriated to Germany, he brought his bride, Marta back to the U.S. They had a son, who became an officer in the US Navy!
Hans and my dad spent hours at our kitchen table, drinking beer and swapping war stories. I'm so grateful for such memories.

The ending of "Enemy Below", and the mutual respect displayed by the two captains, always gets to me. And that ^ is why.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Even in peace time "things" don't always go as planned.

This was my boat in 67' when we surfaced, we knew we were in trouble
had no idea how close we were to becoming another statistic.
85 enlisted men and 10 officers, on watch and at battle stations.

All I could say was WTF, I will never take anything for granted again.
I knew what the outcome could have been, no one survives.

Joe

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Watch out above!"

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
A friend was in Merchant Marine in WWII, on some of the convoy runs. When he would (almost never) talk about it in the 70's, he would turn dead white.

Burning/sinking ships on all sides, doomed sailors in the water, no stopping to pick them up, or even avoid running them down.

An uncle by marriage was in the second boarding party of the U-boat captured in the N. Atlantic during WWII. He was fine with that - the first party had to safety the scuttling charges. That boat is in a US museum (Chicago? Smithsonian?), and he told me his pic(with his party) is included in the display. I did see his copy of the pic, but never the dispay itself.

Last edited by las; 04/18/20.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
A good submarine movie is Das Boot. Appears to be quite realistic of what it was like back then.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Let's not forget that SOB Congresscritter that blabbed to the papers about our "small losses" in the Pacific being due to the Japs setting their charges too shallow, as our boats had greater depth capability than theirs, which they were initially referencing for depth settings. Cost hundreds of lives after that.

He should have been shot - literally. But wasn't.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by las
Let's not forget that SOB Congresscritter that blabbed to the papers about our "small losses" in the Pacific being due to the Japs setting their charges too shallow, as our boats had greater depth capability than theirs, which they were initially referencing for depth settings. Cost hundreds of lives after that.

He should have been shot - literally. But wasn't.

Here ya go!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_J._May

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by las
A friend was in Merchant Marine in WWII, on some of the convoy runs. When he would (almost never) talk about it in the 70's, he would turn dead white.

Burning/sinking ships on all sides, doomed sailors in the water, no stopping to pick them up, or even avoid running them down.

An uncle by marriage was in the second boarding party of the U-boat captured in the N. Atlantic during WWII. He was fine with that - the first party had to safety the scuttling charges. That boat is in a US museum (Chicago? Smithsonian?), and he told me his pic(with his party) is included in the display. I did see his copy of the pic, but never the dispay itself.

The U-505 at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. I have been to that exhibit on a few occasions - the first time on a school trip in the seventh grade. It is both educational and captivating. Even in the seventh grade I thought hard about the "pucker factor" overload the boarding parties must have felt when they heard the command "boarders away".

Life - and the good sense to live it!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
A good movie. Dick Powell produced and directed that movie. He made several good movies in the 1950s.

Last edited by websterparish47; 04/18/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by las

Been there and seen it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went through nuke school and nuke prototype and had orders to an SSN. Got busted for drunk and disorder and other dumb stuff. They considered me a security risk and sent me to the surface navy. Probably the best thing for me. LOL five years later I was the course supervisor for the Tomahawk cruise missile course, and then had a top secret/SCI clearance working for an Admiral, managing cruise missile operations for a battle group. Never know which way life will take you sometimes.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had a crazy friend that joined the Navy so he could see the World....then he volunteered for submarine duty. He only saw the same dock for 4 years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great movie! And...available to watch on YouTube:

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I liked “ Run Silent Run Deep”

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
643 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.