24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Clearly a mishandling, but why did it fire?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have zero experience with Remington 700s. However I will relate 2 accidents involving them that I know personally. In the first situation, there was some sort of AD that caused major and long term head damage to a young hunter in our community about 1 1/2 years ago. The young man was found by his father, air-lifted to a major hospital out of our area where after a very long rehab he returned home. Nobody will ever know the details causing this accident. While numerous things could have caused this terrible accident, the second case was very clearly known. A very good friend of mine had his discharge when he took the safety off. He had purchased his rifle new many years ago. He's a once a year deer hunter who probably shoots his rifle 2-3 times before season to check its zero. I know this man very, very well: very responsible, very mature, and very honest. As he is a retired auto mechanic of many years, he certainly has the ability to disassemble and adjust triggers, safeties, etc. I asked him specifically if he had messed with trigger or safety. He had not.

Aside from the numerous reports I've read, these 2 accidents alone have caused me to strongly discourage anyone contemplating purchasing a 700 from doing so. While I am not a fan of the 700 action design, it is for these accidents and the many other reports of similar ones that causes me to feel the way I do.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I got my first Remington a new M721 in.30-'06 for my 12th birthday in 19 (mumble), never had any trouble with it so of course I replaced the trigger with a Canjar unit. I bought a new M700 7mm Mag in about 1970, and I took it deer hunting in Idaho. One morning while loading up the rifle fired when I moved the safety. I finished the hunt by leaving the chamber empty and only loaded when I made ready to shoot a buck. Later on that rifle went down the road, and I traded for a Rem M700 .30-'06. I ended up building a pair of rifles: one with heavy barrel .280 Rem that I used for metallic silhouette, and the second that I built in 6.5-'06 and a hunting weight barrel. I sent the Walker trigger to Neil Jones who modified it and set it to 2.5 lbs pull. Neil is still doing great triggers and other gun products.

I recently bought a Rem M700 Ti in .300 SAUM from another shooter on the Campfire, and that rifle is going to get a Timney trigger...

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just got a NIB 700 VLS in 260. An older gun never fired. It has the Walker trigger. Doesn't fire when moved off safe, but I don't want to mess with it. Bought a Trigger tech.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
The little instruction pamphlet that used to come with 700’s had a section on how to adjust the trigger. iIRC, it cautions that the engagement screw shouldn’t be adjusted. Do you think some folks nicknamed “IKE”.....(I Know Everything) might have taken that as a challenge?!?!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have never had an issue with a M700 trigger but I know how to adjust a trigger and how to maintain one. Was deer hunting with a friend once and when we got ready to head back to camp his M700 fired when he disengaged the safety. Turns out it was his father's rifle that had been stored in a closet for many years with no cleaning or maintenance. If the Walker trigger is cleaned and adjusted properly it is an excellent trigger, if it is misadjusted and neglected it is a time bomb.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys are talking me into a Timney on a 7mm RM that has had everything else possible done to it. The Walker on that 700 was professionally adjusted and has never been an issue, but it is the kind of rifle that should stay in the family after I'm gone. That 6mm that I wrote about on page one is still out there somewhere and if I couldn't trust it, no one else should either. I can only hope that the new owner of a M700 heavy barrel 6mm BDL was a gun guy who knew about Walker triggers.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Get yourself a Triggertech

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'd heard somewhere that if you mashed a Remington 700 trigger really hard while the safety was engaged, the striker could sometimes fall when the safety was next disengaged, without the trigger being touched. While I'm not a Remington 700 fan, I never disliked the two I did own enough to put that to the test.

Every day’s an adventure.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If all of the incidents were reviewed I think a large percentage of the triggers would have either been adjusted poorly or were full of gunk like years worth of WD-40. It was an incidence of one for me and I am probably the one at fault on that not working out. I should have kept it to see if the metal was different or any other changes. I would still trust the Walker but would at least do a slam fire test on it to be sure.

The incident I related I think the trigger caught on something, Not sure if I recall this correctly but I believe they could not get it to fire on safe again. Local gunsmiths were consulted and none would testify it was faulty. I wonder if they pulled in Jack Belk on this one, the Ralph Nader of Remington.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The only trouble I ever had with the Walker trigger ( which I always had a good gunsmith adjust) was 'eventually" some creep developed. that just drives me bonkers, ha. I like Timneys, Shilens, and now, 'color me Trigger Tech"! I especially liked the fact that their triggers can be full of gunk ( debris) and still work fine. I've had a Shilen that seemed to attract tiny pieces of sage/spruce needles/dust and locked up. It was easily blown out but the shooting outing was kaput until it was! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

TriggerTech

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had many (dozens) 700's, 721's, 722's, 600's, 660',s, 7's & 78's. The only rifle I had a problem with was a rifle that someone replaced the trigger with an after market trigger and then set the trigger poorly and subsequently glued the barreled action into the stock. Then he/she sold it on Gunbroker and I ended up with it.

I'm not saying that there isn't a problem with some Walker triggers, but it is my opinion that when bubba is allowed to adjust the trigger bad things can happen and that is the majority of the Walker trigger problems.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
As mentioned many times,if you do not know how to adjust it ,take to a gunsmith.They can be rebuilt with new springs if need be.Need be means if it can`t be adjusted to say below 4 pounds.I have never had a Walker trigger I could not adjust to below 3 pounds,but thats me.As JB said clean out trigger with brake cleaner.I do that at least once a year and you will be good to go.I have the feeling most problems with walker triggers were because of fat fingered bubba`s messing with stuff out of their skill range.There is really no reason to adjust anything but the pull weight.When you mess with the sear contact is where most problems happen.Keep that trigger,its a good one.

Last edited by Huntz; 04/20/20.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 76 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.