Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I’m referring to the old school equipment that we, our fathers and grandfathers used that the new generation of hunters wouldn’t be caught dead using. What got me thinking during this time of extreme boredom is my latest project. My uncle who is pushing 80 and now lives in California has given me his old Remington M700 .270. I have tore it down, cleaned it thoroughly and refinished the stock. When I got it in my hands I had to chuckle as the fond memories came rushing back. Growing up I hunted on a Pre NAFTA potato farm in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Once NAFTA went through the Canucks were selling grade A potatoes cheaper than the farmers could buy seed potatoes. Another story. At any rate we had deer densities of 75 per sq mile and my two uncles, dad and I were designated shooters. My uncle Frank and my Dad were the best shots with my uncle being a little better. And I inherited his infamous 270.
It was a 1980 vintage M700 BDL complete with the Monte Carlo wood stock, white spacers and iron sights. He topped it off with a 4x12 power Tasco (made in Japan at least) and a set of those goofy see through mounts. The trigger had been adjusted some and he had the receiver bedded with some clear epoxy. A laughable set up by today’s standards but back in the day I had witnessed some spectacular shots corner to corner across 40 acre fields that have left a lasting impression. He told me that he sighted it in for a quarter mile and he used the irons for everything under 100 yards. All he ever shot was 130 grain green box or my dad’s handloads using Speer 130 grain BTSP and a max load of IMR 4831. Nothing special but it worked. No range finders no kestrel no stainless steel or plastic stocks. Just damn good shooting and field experience. With all the gadgets and technology that’s in a basic Wal-Mart special it’s shocking how they got by back in the day.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sounds like a great all purpose rifle. But I just can't do the see through rings.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I killed a Tom last Saturday with a big heavy Browning Auto 5. I started thinking about getting a Winchester 37. Would have killed just as good and a lot easier to carry.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't consider a scoped Remington 700 to really be old school nor do I drop my jaw in wonder at it's effectiveness.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Something like this? Different cartridge and scope but you get the point.

It has been I the woods every season since it was made sometime in late '70s or early '80s and will continue to see duty along with an '84 Model 700 in 270 that I acquired about a month ago. The 270 will probably see a gloss fixed 4x33mm Leupold.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 04/19/20.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The thread title made me think of this one, not so much the rifles discussed above grin

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking "old school" as Springfield 1898s and Winchester 97s.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Getting denigrated by equipment snobs does not make an effective rifle "junk".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I inherited a Parker VHE 12 ga with 2 sets o barrels from my grandfather. I think it meets the definition of old school shotgun. My son didn't seem to mind when I gave it to him for graduation from college even though it wasn't gas operated, didn't have a plastic stock and barrels with interchangeable choke tubes.

I like to hunt with old school stuff myself. My go to rifle is one I looked for many years. It is a Mexican Mauser in 7mm Mauser that has been converted to a sporter. Compared to todays rifles, it is heavy, long, not chambered for the 6.5 Creedmoor, only holds 5 shots and doesn't shed water like a duck. I still like it because I know where the first shot is going and to me at least, it doesn't look bad. I'm pretty old school myself and that style suits me...

Harry
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Mathsr I tried to save your picture just now and my phone said it already had it saved. Guess I still like your rifle style smile

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JGray
The thread title made me think of this one, not so much the rifles discussed above grin

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Yeah, the thread title is a little misleading. Not too much old school about a 1980's remington 700, but carry on. Good story nonetheless... Especially the see thru rings. Who here can't say they have never tried those? I'm sure they worked just fine for the op's uncle...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
One of my favorite small game shotguns is an old Iver Johnson 20 gauge single shot that probably wouldn't bring 75 dollars at a pawn shop or flea market.

I think it probably qualifies as old, effective junk.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by brinky72

It was a 1980 vintage M700 BDL complete with the Monte Carlo wood stock, white spacers and iron sights. He topped it off with a 4x12 power Tasco (made in Japan at least)
I have a couple of those made in Japan Tascos and they are actually very good scopes. No see through mounts for me though.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I am proud to say I have never owned or used see through mounts.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another item that used to be pretty common place but has become rare is the shooting sling. You used to see the military 1907 style pretty often, now it’s either some kind of neoprene cobra or my favorite, the padded leather cobra with an inscription of a deer, your initials and 2 cartridge holders.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Mathsr I tried to save your picture just now and my phone said it already had it saved. Guess I still like your rifle style smile

Thank you! I wish I had taken a before and after picture of that one. It was a Bubba special I took a chance on and my brother saved it from a real mess. It has been a long time since he worked for Frank Pachmayr, but he still has some skills and, to me, knows what a rifle is supposed to look like...

Harry
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
My two oldest rifles are my Krag sporter made in 1900 and my Savage 99EG made in 1952. 120 and 68 years old. They're old school, effective, but not junk. There are some people on here that have some beautiful old rifles that still get out. Hope they see this and put them up. Mathsr 7mm Mauser is one of them.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]where to get mini nukes new vegas

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
That Krag is lovely.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That sure is a beautiful Krag. I also like the sights on it.. Very nicely done..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by SS336
My two oldest rifles are my Krag sporter made in 1900 and my Savage 99EG made in 1952. 120 and 68 years old. They're old school, effective, but not junk. There are some people on here that have some beautiful old rifles that still get out. Hope they see this and put them up. Mathsr 7mm Mauser is one of them.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]where to get mini nukes new vegas

That Krag is some serious old school cool...Like a Lee Speed Enfield only better.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 41 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.