Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by irfubar
My 17ft Sea nymph has a 60hp Merc. 4 stroke , the hull is rated for 75hp. my top speed is 34 mph at 4500ft elevation.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That would work! I don’t think we have a local dealer for them however.

Greg, I use it on smaller lakes as others have said big rough water is a challenge and you will get wet. I like the painted interior as apposed to carpet. I tow it down dirt roads and it is easy to clean.
One downside is it can get hot, I painted it a light gray and that helps.
The 4 stroke is amazing, quiet, trolls all day. It uses so little gas I forget to fill it, the 8 gallon tank last forever. People say boats are expensive and a hassle to maintain, this boat is just the opposite.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Lowe Stinger 175C
I'm looking for an aluminum fishing boat in the 20K price range. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this one, or suggestions of other brands that would be somewhat comparable.

Evidently fills the bill for what you want, but it's not my cup of tea. It will probably end up costing you like $24 grand with the proper moter, which would be the biggest it's rated for. IME you should get nothing less.

You really think a 75 hp is worth the extra 4 grand over a 60? Why? This is the sort of info I am looking for. Thanks.
I wallered around with a 16' heavy fiberglass bassboat for year with only a 70 'rude on it. No more. Anytime I buy a boat it will have adequate horsepower. That boat could've had a 120 on it, but I didn't shell out. The only way I'd underpower that boat is if I was ONLY going to fish very small bodies of water. For that boat, a 60 isn't exactly underpowered, but I'd go with the maximum safe horsepower. It's very easy to throttle a bigger motor down, when you've got a smaller motor doing all she's got, that's it.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you've got the money. I'd part with the cash and get the bigger motor IF I was getting that particular boat, even moreso on some others. It's not even so much about topend as it is about popping up out of the hole faster and safety in general. Some of the lakes I've fished in Kansas and Texas are THE most dangerous man-made impoundments in the country. Sometimes when you need to get to the ramp it should've been yesterday.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Storm blew a tree over on my boat a ways back.I have been looking at this. https://xpressboats.com/crappie-stick-steer/ Perfect for what I do.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Lowe Stinger 175C
I'm looking for an aluminum fishing boat in the 20K price range. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this one, or suggestions of other brands that would be somewhat comparable.

Evidently fills the bill for what you want, but it's not my cup of tea. It will probably end up costing you like $24 grand with the proper moter, which would be the biggest it's rated for. IME you should get nothing less.

You really think a 75 hp is worth the extra 4 grand over a 60? Why? This is the sort of info I am looking for. Thanks.
I wallered around with a 16' heavy fiberglass bassboat for year with only a 70 'rude on it. No more. Anytime I buy a boat it will have adequate horsepower. That boat could've had a 120 on it, but I didn't shell out. The only way I'd underpower that boat is if I was ONLY going to fish very small bodies of water. For that boat, a 60 isn't exactly underpowered, but I'd go with the maximum safe horsepower. It's very easy to throttle a bigger motor down, when you've got a smaller motor doing all she's got, that's it.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you've got the money. I'd part with the cash and get the bigger motor IF I was getting that particular boat, even moreso on some others. It's not even so much about topend as it is about popping up out of the hole faster and safety in general. Some of the lakes I've fished in Kansas and Texas are THE most dangerous man-made impoundments in the country. Sometimes when you need to get to the ramp it should've been yesterday.

I truly appreciate the advice.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Mirrocraft boat .Best boat I ever owned

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lowe Stinger 175C

No prob. I've seen a lot of Lowe's. Xpress, G3 and War Eagle would be my top boats of the type you're looking at...topped out on hp. I DON'T believe in overpowering one though. Just sayin'. I hope you get what you want. A good boat is a joy. If you were satisfied with your Lowe in the past...that goes a long ways towards the next boat.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lowe Stinger 175C

Have you ever known a boat owner tell someone they wished they bought a smaller motor?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Lowe Stinger 175C

Have you ever known a boat owner tell someone they wished they bought a smaller motor?

To me it is all about weight.If the 40,50 and sixty are the same its the 60.If the next size gains 100 lbs.no deal.Boat needs to be handy and light as possible.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Lowe Stinger 175C

I'd normally agree with Ethan on this, but I have theory on outboards that I think has merit.

I won't go above a family of out boards for just a small increase in HP. By this, take a 60 horse. It's probably on the same block, frame, etc. as the 40 or 50. It will cost little more, & sometimes doesn't weigh more.
A jump to a 70 or 75 might have you getting a motor that has a larger physical size & may weigh a good bit more. Basically the same as a 90 or 115. And... cost nearly as much.

No way I would spend 4 grand more, probably not 2 grand more for 15 HP & probably pick up 50 pounds in the deal. That 50 # could eat up most of the HP gain IMO

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I've had a Lowe 1448 Big Jon with a 25HP Johnson since 1999 back when it was owned by OMC. The whole package has been very good and I'd buy another Lowe but I'd choose a different dealer....

My Dad still has his 1972 12' Lowe-line(pre Lowe) boat and while he had to reset some rivets and had some welding done to the transom it still works good.

There's no perfect boat for every situation so I'd get one that matches the majority of what you will use it for and then plan to rent or hire a guide for the others. Having a good place to store it is important too.

My grandpa had that exact same rig. He left it to my cousin before passing and it’s still running like a champ.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

-Patrick Henry
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are planning to fish the big 3 in Mississippi or get on the river go with the 75 . I have a Lowe 1860 Roughneck with Mercury 90 fourstroke . Im able to run 43 mph with a 19 pitch prop .

It's hard justify that much money to go 6 to 8 mph faster .

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Lowe Stinger 175C

The 16' Lowe I sold had a 50hp Evinrude on it. While it wasn't real fast, it did everything I wanted it to do. $4000 for 15 more horsepower just seems exorbitant.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
If you are planning to fish the big 3 in Mississippi or get on the river go with the 75 . I have a Lowe 1860 Roughneck with Mercury 90 fourstroke . Im able to run 43 mph with a 19 pitch prop .

It's hard justify that much money to go 6 to 8 mph faster .

It'll never be on big water, nor in a tournament. I am in northern middle Tennessee. 30-35 mph is adequate. I just want to fish and pull an inner tube occasionally.

Last edited by gregintenn; 04/19/20.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
So does anyone have a particular gripe with the Lowe boat or Mercury motor?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
As long as the Mercury motor is fuel injected, and a four stroke, your good. Plus buy the biggest motor you can afford.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Do your own math. Any salesman worth your time should be able to tell you how many MPH you can get on a boat with a given motor.

A pontoon I had once was gonna cost me $2800 for 2 MPH.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Mid size Mercurys are made in China. I think.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jdm953

Mid size Mercurys are made in China. I think.

This I did not know.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I live in N Arkansas. We had a Lowe dealer here for many years. Many people had them and were happy with them for many years. The dealer closed and we don't have anyone close selling them but there are still a few running that are 30 years old. I don't have any advise on motor brands. I would buy close to what the tag says is max though and the brand that has good local dealer support. Underpowered boats aren't much fun.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (257robertsimp, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 1,580 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,215
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.