Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by shaman
I'm a recent Model 44 convert. My buddy died a year ago and I acquired his Ruger Model 44. I determined to hunt with it last year, and managed to bag a buck.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

Story here:
Bob's Model 44 and The Buck

When I first got it, it was a Jam-O-Matic. Over the summer, it took two trips to the gunsmith to get it working right. It wasn't feeding the second round properly, and the action was locking up. When it did work, the brass was ejecting every-which-way. My guess is that the first owner did something to hose it up and then took it to a gun show to dump it. Bob acquired it cheap and never shot it and let it sit in the case for 40 years. Bob was more of a collector than a hunter. Once it got going, it was a joy to shoot. Bottom line: if you find one that jams, a good smith can fix it.

My load of choice is 240 grain XTP's over H110, just a tad hotter than a starting load. I started out with an 1st Generation Aimpoint, but that did not work so well in low-light conditions. It now sports a Bushnell Banner 1-4.5X; the Dusk to Dawn coatings are the Schizz!

After the buck, I took it along to Georgia for a hog hunt with Folically Challenged.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

One word of caution: On my last evening hunt with FC, it was pitch dark when the truck picked us up, and I made the mistake of cupping my hand over the ejection port to catch the round. The round popped out, bounced off my hand and then back in, and it jammed up tight. It took removing the action from the stock and working a butter knife into the action to get the round sent back up into the magazine where it could be re-ejected. Just make sure you let loaded rounds eject freely as you're unloading it, and you won't have to suffer as I did.

Pros: Light, accurate, quick to point. Negligible recoil. Deadly on whitetails at close range.
Cons: It flings brass. Mine was flinging it all over the place when I got it. After the smith fixed it, it flings much more reliably to the 2 O'Clock position, but it still flings.

It appears to be the finger groove Sporter model . Cool . They are More sought after.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
[
It appears to be the finger groove Sporter model. Cool . They are More sought after.

Yes, but I doubt it really matters. It was Bob's, and it is one of the few tangible things I have of his. It won't be going down the road anytime soon.

25 years ago, I remember the much-maligned Clay Harvey in The Hunting RIfle writing glowingly about the Ruger Model 44:

"For still-hunting-in dense brush, nothing is quite as good--all things considered--as a Ruger .44 Magnum semi-automatic carbine. . ."

In a photo caption, he added: "Author opines that the defunct Ruger.44 Carbine was the finest rig ever for rainy-day still hunting."

Up until this past fall, I'd shot deer at close range with 12 GA slug, 30-somethings like 30-30 and 30-06, and a .54 Hawken. This Ruger compared quite favorably at 60+ yards. It got the job done better than my 30-30 and it got it done without the recoil of a slug gun or '06.

As a general-purpose weapon, I'd look for something else-- especially for longer ranges. For close-in still-hunting and treestand work, I'd put it near the top. The one niche where I'd the Model 44 shining is places like Ohio with these blasted pistol caliber rifle rules. The Model 44 gets the job of the 12 GA smoothbore slug done with a lot less recoil.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A buddy gave me this one about 7 or 8 years ago, it had belonged to his uncle. I was advised to shoot 240 grain bullets through it, so that is all I have shot; use a 240 Grain Hornady XTP handload in it - been flawless with this load.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I have my Dad's in the gun cabinet, it was the "go to"gun for my uncles and grand father. Two things I've learned about them.

Low recoil loads - no good, not enough to eject cleanly.

CLEAN THEM. We have 4 in our hunting party, one uncle things "full cleaning" is running a rod down the barrel. His jammed. All the time, he was ready to toss it and his brother (other uncle) took it, ripped it apart, cleaned everything, reassembled and it didn't jam for 5 years after that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ruger did kind of a foot shot with that carbine introduction when one of their first advertising campaigns featured a hunter holding that .44 carbine with a human sized gorilla spread eagled next to him. With all the look alike 10/22's already in circulation, the .44 carbine was a natural. One does wonder why they stopped making not only the carbine, but other successful Ruger rifles and handguns?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I really wish I could find someone that can shorten the pre and over travel of these triggers. Lightening it would be icing on the cake.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Windfall
Ruger did kind of a foot shot with that carbine introduction when one of their first advertising campaigns featured a hunter holding that .44 carbine with a human sized gorilla spread eagled next to him. With all the look alike 10/22's already in circulation, the .44 carbine was a natural. One does wonder why they stopped making not only the carbine, but other successful Ruger rifles and handguns?

The .44 Magnum was out way before the 10-22, the .44 carbine being Ruger's first rifle.

Back when those came out nobody gave a schitt whether somebody was shooting gorilla. People considered it a cool, adventurous thing to do, go off in the jungle and shoot a gorilla. Some of us still do.

Mathew 22: 37-39

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
[
It appears to be the finger groove Sporter model. Cool . They are More sought after.

Yes, but I doubt it really matters. It was Bob's, and it is one of the few tangible things I have of his. It won't be going down the road anytime soon.

25 years ago, I remember the much-maligned Clay Harvey in The Hunting RIfle writing glowingly about the Ruger Model 44:

"For still-hunting-in dense brush, nothing is quite as good--all things considered--as a Ruger .44 Magnum semi-automatic carbine. . ."

In a photo caption, he added: "Author opines that the defunct Ruger.44 Carbine was the finest rig ever for rainy-day still hunting."

Up until this past fall, I'd shot deer at close range with 12 GA slug, 30-somethings like 30-30 and 30-06, and a .54 Hawken. This Ruger compared quite favorably at 60+ yards. It got the job done better than my 30-30 and it got it done without the recoil of a slug gun or '06.

As a general-purpose weapon, I'd look for something else-- especially for longer ranges. For close-in still-hunting and treestand work, I'd put it near the top. The one niche where I'd the Model 44 shining is places like Ohio with these blasted pistol caliber rifle rules. The Model 44 gets the job of the 12 GA smoothbore slug done with a lot less recoil.

Yeah, I caught that it’s a sentimental gun. I was just pointing out a fact . Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

The 10/22 was based on the style of the Model 44, not the other way around.

Ruger discontinued the Model 44 in 1985 due to high production costs, and overall lack of interest.

The Model 96 died for lack of interest.In this world of new PCR laws, it probably would have survived.

The new and improved Deerfield that was introduced in the 2000's suffered from feeding problems. Too many were being sent back to the factory.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Right you are and I stand corrected. The Ruger .44 Carbine was introduced December 1961 and the 10/22 came out in 1964. First 10/22 that I ever saw was in 1968 and I traded off a Winchester M62A to get a new 10/22 Sporter that same year.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I actually just bought one this week, ruger model 44 carbine. I realized it's going to be my walking rifle for hunting this year.

It seems like it will be the perfect Michigan woods rifle. Sucker hits the targets hard but kicks like a .410, never been this excited about a rifle.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Always liked the idea of acquiring one of these for some variety aside from a 30-30 lever. But never really sought one out. Saw one a few years ago for $600, which was probably not a bad price. Some day when the stars align I'll scoop one up.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948

The .44 Magnum was out way before the 10-22, the .44 carbine being Ruger's first rifle.

Back when those came out nobody gave a schitt whether somebody was shooting gorilla. People considered it a cool, adventurous thing to do, go off in the jungle and shoot a gorilla. Some of us still do.

When I was pretty young(!) I read a mag piece, probably in an Argosy in the barbershop, on gorilla hunting. The hero of that one used a 1911, supposely because he thought the ape might grab a rifle by the barrel and brain him with it.

Hey, I don't make 'em up, I just tell 'em!

Always wanted one of the little Rugers, but tried a 77/44, and now have a Contender carbine under construction. The 20" MGM 1-20 twist barrel is sitting in the hall. Not sure when my dealer will be taking deliveries yet, so the frame is in limbo. The .44 is a little hammer, and I have some Barnes XPBs waiting to be assembled into ammo. Figure they ought to expand AND punch two holes.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I bought my third year carbine in 2004 for $275 at a pawn shop in Houston. It has been dead reliable and shoots the 270 gr Gold Dot and 250 gr Partition pretty well. I had hoped to bear hunt with this year at my place in Idaho but that has been cancelled.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If they'd make the Mini-14 in 350 Legend, we'd have a respectable heir to the .44.

Politics is War by Other Means
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Tyrone
If they'd make the Mini-14 in 350 Legend, we'd have a respectable heir to the .44.

Lol!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
They are impossible to find in Alaska.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Great little rifle. I inherited one, tube fed, not sure what year...65-67, I think. Can't post picture - image too large.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dinny
I really wish I could find someone that can shorten the pre and over travel of these triggers. Lightening it would be icing on the cake.

Thanks, Dinny

I don’t know about the pre travel, but a decent smith or DIY’er should be able to add a set screw to the back of the trigger to adjust out excessive over travel.......

BT53

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[

I think that Clay Harvey was a good story teller, the catch being that is has been alleged that many of his stories were embellished and/or borrowed from other people.

Add to that the allegations that he sold firearms that had been provided to him by manufacturers for testing and as the basis for articles. I have a couple of rifles that were purchased from gun writers, assuming that they had purchased them from the manufacturers. One is a pre-production prototype that went into production in a different configuration.

It has also been alleged that Peter Capstick embellished and/or borrowed other peoples' experience and claimed them as his own. Capstick is generally held in high regard while Harvey is a pariah.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

431 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 2,013 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.