Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I think it will be interesting to learn what other Turkey hunters are packing in their vests, the reason I am curious is I was recently turkey hunting on a section of some my favorite public land and ran into a fellow turkey hunter that was wearing a vest that was bristling with Multiple box calls along with several striker type calls, he had At least 2 turkey decoys stuffed in the game pouch, he also had a lanyard around his neck that had probly a half dozen other calls attached ( locator calls i presume) , ive seen duck hunters with fewer calls around their neck....I thought he looked rather comical, almost like a clown 😂....I am a run and gun type hunter so over the last 33 years of Spring turkey hunting I have removed calls that I rarely used.......My vest content is now very minimal, I only carry 3 diaphragm calls, 2 locator calls (owl, crow) a pair of cotton camo gloves, a camo headnet, 3 extra shotgun shells, a couple Cliff bars and a 24oz bottle of water......What do you tote in your vest? Are you a minimalist like me or do you look more like the guy I ran across recently?.......Good hunting 👍.......Hb

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not shown are camo insulated or non-insulated gloves, head net, 16oz bottle of water, deer jerky, two packs Quaker cranberry/almond flat bars and couple Snicker bars. Late season I add Absorbine, Jr. for black gnats and mosquito repellent.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

3 mouth calls
2 friction calls, usually slate/glass and copper/slate
4-5 strikers
4 shells
Turkey tote
Tail fan
Gloves
wind proof lighter
Pruners
10oz water

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt big blocks of public ground. It's steep, heavily timbered and most often requires a whole bunch of boot leather to kill a gobbler. My vest will have several diaphragm calls, a box call, a couple pot calls and 3-4 strikers, a crow call, I owl hoot by voice, five extra shells (coyote and hogs), camo facemask, deer jerky, apple and 32 ounces of water, compass and topo map, cell phone for the camera as there is no cell service.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by MOGC
I hunt big blocks of public ground. It's steep, heavily timbered and most often requires a whole bunch of boot leather to kill a gobbler. My vest .

Ha! Sounds like you hunt country exactly like i do, you better have some good boots on or you will pay with blisters 😂...Yeah I forgot the cell phone, i hardly ever have service but I need it for the camera...Hb

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I don't have a vest, but thinking about getting one of the alps grand slams that has the removable kick stand seat.

I go out all day...4 AM to 8 PM sometimes so I take more

I carry a green nlyon brief case with a one box call and one push pull call.
Battery charge pack for my phone.
orange hat
extra gloves of weight for the day because early season MN starts out below freezing
camel back of water
energy drink
granola bars & lunch
survival kit items
toliet paper kit
Book / magazine to read in the blind
Land map
Pruner

On my back...
A dark green canoe #4 envelope pack
low height folding chair
chair pad
2 mesh fences
jake and hen decoy - bulky plastic primos ones
Rain gear if needed

On my neck - compass and owl / coyote howl / crow call (which I rarely use)

Yea.. I seem heavy, but I set up on one spot and usually get my bird mid-morning when the toms go quiet and I sit in funnels
.I'm fidgety so I find the blind helps me and I can read and sit for a long time.

My concern about getting the vest with the seat... my little bladder makes me get up more than I like so I would be resetting up the kick stand all the time.

I love the chair because a bum knee makes getting up off the ground harder.

But I am toying with getting a vest to consolidate. Just not sure on the chair part.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I don’t carry a vest.

Trumpet around my neck for a turkey call and owl hooting with my voice is the best locator I’ve found. I used to carry several different calls but what’s the point. If you locate one and get in close as possible without spooking it, they’re really not hard to call and you don’t need a bag of tricks. I too hunt large tracts of timber. No decoys either. Few extra shells in my packet, bug spray in pocket later in the season. Besides that just my normal every day carry pistol,light,knife.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Way too much, but I’ve used it all at one time or another to aid in killing a gobbler. Lets see, off the top of my head:
Toilet paper
Mesh bag for morels
Pair of gloves
Face mask
Compact binos
Slate, glass, crystal and copper pots
3 strikers
Gobble tube
Sand paper
Power bars
Bottle of water
Owl hooter
Crow call
3 or 4 diaphragms
Zip ties
An ink pen
3 extra shells
Flashlight
A fluorescent orange hat

I hike all over God’s green earth most days, I just try an lose 10 or 15lbs before the season to make up for the best weight! I’ve never in my life called in a bird with a box call, despite carrying one for over 10 years and using it repeatedly. I ditched it for the gobble tube 2 years ago, and it already paid off.

Last edited by borden811; 04/20/20.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by borden811
Way too much, but I’ve used it all at one time or another to aid in killing a gobbler. Lets see, off the top of my head:
Toilet paper
Mesh bag for morels
Pair of gloves
Face mask
Compact binos
Slate, glass, crystal and copper pots
3 strikers
Gobble tube
Sand paper
Power bars
Bottle of water
Owl hooter
Crow call
3 or 4 diaphragms
Zip ties
An ink pen
3 extra shells
Flashlight
A fluorescent orange hat

I hike all over God’s green earth most days, I just try an lose 10 or 15lbs before the season to make up for the best weight! I’ve never in my life called in a bird with a box call, despite carrying one for over 10 years and using it repeatedly. I ditched it for the gobble tube 2 years ago, and it already paid off.

Gobble tube?

Does it only make gobbler noises?
Got any pics? links?

I didn't have luck with my box call this year so I might be looking.
I cant run a diaphragm call to save my life.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Alps grand slam vest. Get rid of the kick stand cause it sucked to wear

1 or 2 bottles water, couple snacks, TP, 3 extra shells, 4/5 mouth calls, owl tube, peacock call, predator call

One slate and 2 strikers

Multi tool

The little plastic umbrella bags they have at front entrance of stores for putting wet umbrella in and a couple hair ties from my wife. Put this on the turkeys head after you shoot and rubber band in place. Keeps blood off your pack and the back of your legs. Thank me later for that one!!

Rarely carry decoys, but typically only take the avian x hen if I do

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a three pocket belt bag.
box call
slate call
easy yelper
3 mouth calls
face mask
gloves
3 extra shells
Nalgene bottle
flash light
license and tags
orange tape

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A big ole boy about 6'3" x 250#

http:/www.canadianriverhilton.com
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by bubbaokie

Nailed it!

lol

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by bubbaokie

Lmao!...good post 👍.....Hb

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I got a new vest about five years ago. Off the top of my head:

TP, water, 6 shot shells (I use a sxs 20 ga.), mouth calls, box call, slate call, binoculars (small 8x32) gloves, face mask, chalk, sandpaper, leatherman tool, small folding saw, license, pen, solunar table, spare batteries for my hearing aids, a flashlight, two pair of rubber gloves, and tube of chapstick.

If it looks like it might rain I carry a lightweight rain coat. I hunt private land, some of it mine and some of it my neighbors. Sometimes I use a 20 ga. smoothbore flintlock and carry supplies for that in a small leather pouch and leave the shotshells at home.

Last edited by stantdm; 04/21/20. Reason: Forgot to mention the flintlock
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ditched the vest several years ago. Too hot and I end up with a wheelbarrow load of junk I don’t need. I have a leafy hooded poncho with a kangaroo pouch that holds plenty...
But here’s my every day carry-
Gun with three shells in it and two extry in the shell holder that a buddy made for me.
Lanyard my son made me with crow and woodpecker call.
I usually eat a bacon or sausage biscuit on the way.
Seat
TP
Water
Gloves
Mask
Couple mouth calls. If it’s gonna be windy I’ll grab a box or slate.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunnut308
I ditched the vest several years ago. Too hot and I end up with a wheelbarrow load of junk I don’t need. I have a leafy hooded poncho with a kangaroo pouch that holds plenty...
But here’s my every day carry-
Gun with three shells in it and two extry in the shell holder that a buddy made for me.
Lanyard my son made me with crow and woodpecker call.
I usually eat a bacon or sausage biscuit on the way.
Seat
TP
Water
Gloves
Mask
Couple mouth calls. If it’s gonna be windy I’ll grab a box or slate.

LOL, how did you manage to loose the grip cap from your stock?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn good question. I know it’s layin’ in the gravel pit where I verified my sights. I guess Benelli was running low on TP, sanitizer and gorilla glue.
smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never seen one come off like that. I have two M1's that I have hunted the hell out of for 20+ years and never even knew that was put together like that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They supposed to be sending me another one. If not I reckon it’ll be a good place for extra TP..

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Ha! I knew they just pop off for removal but i have never seen one come off on its own...What you got? M2 or SBE? ....I have both but I like the M2 best as the two piece receiver on the SBE 2 has never really grown on me......Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s a M2 12ga. 2015 model I believe.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by gunnut308
It’s a M2 12ga. 2015 model I believe.

Yep, an excellent choice, those are My favorite 👍..What barrel length? I have m2's with 21" and 24" barrels but for turkey give me a 21" barrel any day......Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I also have the 21” and 24”.... the 21” is my absolute favorite.
Both are rigged out the same.
Indian Creek .665
I added Truglo Gobble Dot sights.
It’s money with 3” Win Long Beard 5’s and 6’s.

24” that my son has laid claim to..

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Excellent pics! Those 21" M2's are awesome shooters, I also shoot Winchester LB #5 1 7/8 oz @1050 fps and with the factory full choke tube installed mine will kill 100% out to 55yds...I tried several aftermarket extended choke tubes ( spent a pile of money) from Kick's, Truglo and Carlsons but none really pattered any better than my factory full tube so My gun is really short, I love it! I have owned at least a couple dozen different turkey shotguns over My 34 years of Spring gobbler hunting and a Benelli M2 with a 21" barrel is my all time favorite turkey shotgun 👍......Good hunting....Hb

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My old double 12 is giving way to my Dad's 1929 Western Arms (Ithaca). Everybody always said it shot close (meaning tight pattern).
equipment is a field bag (OD Samsinite) stuffed with binoculars, water bottle, cough drops, a diaphram call, a box call, and a slate call. Also an owl call. A Old timer skinning folder, short piece of rope, toilet paper, seat cushion. This year, hand sanitizer. 4 shotgun shells, a folding brush saw, gloves and headnet. Bout all I can think of.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Item #1 is sanitary wipes. TP just doesn't cut it when you are hiking a lot and you are sweaty. I voice call owl and crow, so no calls needed there. A couple of slate calls and strikers, a hen decoy and fold up gobbler fan, shells, rain gear, something to drink and some crackers. Then I'm ready to kick some a$$.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I run and gun and carry as little as possible. Tag, 1 or 2 bottles of water, couple granola bars, knife, folding saw, clippers, wipes, 1 Feather Flex hen decoy (named Henrietta), mouth calls (all I use), a blaze orange netted shoulder bag for carry out and some extra shells for just in case. Vest has a fold down cushion on it if needed. Last bird I shot, I was standing next to a tree, they were coming in hot, and there was no place to sit with all the thistle and thorny things I was stuck in!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A slate, a glass, a scour pad to rough em up, 1 striker, TP, 2 extra shells, water, thermacell.

I wear face paint on face and backs of hands. Don't need a mask or gloves to have to keep track of.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Ahh! Face paint? Very nice, this would cut down my vest contents even more as I would have no need for a headnet and gloves 👍.....Excellent!....Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Ahh! Face paint? Very nice, this would cut down my vest contents even more as I would have no need for a headnet and gloves 👍.....Excellent!....Hb

My favorite is the Carbomask paint. Washes of very easily with plain water, really don't even need a rag but i carry one in a baggie bag at the truck so I can wipe off when done hunting.

A paint I would like to try is the camo FX. It comes in a little container like twist up deodorant, it would be super easy to pack in the vest.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quit the vest about 10 years ago.

I just wear a small waist pack:

1 box call
1 slate w/striker
License
2 shotgun shells
TP & wet wipes
A pen
Lens wipes
Chalk/scuff pad/sandpaper

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish I could find a camo shirt jac like my dad used to wear. He could pack about all he needed in the 2 front pockets of that and in front pockets of his camo pants.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I wish I could find a camo shirt jac like my dad used to wear. He could pack about all he needed in the 2 front pockets of that and in front pockets of his camo pants.

Check out Bemidji Woolen Mills. Im thinking a cruiser jacket or similar products.

F
F
Hmm...1 box call, 1 slate, 1 crystal, 3 strikers, 4 or 5 diaphragm calls, crow, owl, woodpecker calls, gloves, face mask, 7 shells, turkey tote, chalk, surface conditioning kit, typically my cell phone, bottle of water and usually a granola bar, and a small camo covered bible.

Last edited by Fullback; 05/19/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright Š 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.