Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by VernAK
Driving the Alcan is much easier on the nerves.
If you're coming to Alaska to hunt and have the time, drive it! You'll thank me.

Done the drive a few times and much rather fly

BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by KFWA
if its less than 7 hours for business I'm driving, less than 13 for vacation.

mainly because I can pick when I leave and go, if I want to stop along the way to see the worlds biggest aluminum foil ball or get a chili cheese burger from some dive, I can

if you think about the drive to the airport, economy parking hassle, getting their an hour early, a connecting flight with a layover, getting baggage, rental car..etc, its adds alot of time to the flight. It might be a 3 hour flight but you still burn 6 or 7 hours dealing with it.

I wish we had a much better train system, I'd burn a day on a train, but travel now is so limited and they can't even guarantee when you will arrive due to freight trains getting right of way.

I'd also love for Americans to revolt against air travel and demand better service from airlines. Especially after 3 taxpayer bailouts in 20 years.

Is Greyhound out of business? My Mom used to occasionally ride the bus from Boise to Seattle and back when her parents were living in Wa.

Have you ridden greyhound lately? A few days ago could get flights to Costa Rica and Belize under $350. Anyone can afford that. Lifes too short to live and spend your entire life in a 25 mile radius.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

mainly because I can pick when I leave and go, if I want to stop along the way to see the worlds biggest aluminum foil ball or get a chili cheese burger from some dive, I can

if you think about the drive to the airport, economy parking hassle, getting their an hour early, a connecting flight with a layover, getting baggage, rental car..etc, its adds alot of time to the flight. It might be a 3 hour flight but you still burn 6 or 7 hours dealing with it.

I wish we had a much better train system, I'd burn a day on a train, but travel now is so limited and they can't even guarantee when you will arrive due to freight trains getting right of way.

I'd also love for Americans to revolt against air travel and demand better service from airlines. Especially after 3 taxpayer bailouts in 20 years.

Is Greyhound out of business? My Mom used to occasionally ride the bus from Boise to Seattle and back when her parents were living in Wa.

Have you ridden greyhound lately? A few days ago could get flights to Costa Rica and Belize under $350. Anyone can afford that. Lifes too short to live and spend your entire life in a 25 mile radius.

Bingo. But the majority due...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
in our area they have a busline called Megabus that is more or less direct bus routes between major cities. Ticket prices are stupid cheap like $18 round trip.

I doubt its a much better experience than Greyhound other than the limited stops and the prices, but its an alternative for some.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Lol.

He sounds like a New Englander, 😂. Always pizz Ed off. Take the train buddy. lol

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't mind the flying. It's the airports that I detest.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The only way to make flying better is to make it more expensive. This weeds out the rif-raff.

These round-trip $300 fares wont do that.

I'm not advocating for a return to the 1970's but I do remember a time when you put on your Sunday best to travel. There's no barefoot tattooed baby mama behind you yelling at her kids.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

if you think about the drive to the airport, economy parking hassle, getting there an hour early, a connecting flight with a layover, getting baggage, rental car..etc, its adds alot of time to the flight. It might be a 3 hour flight but you still burn 6 or 7 hours dealing with it.

Just FYI ,I am retired from the railroad and AMTRAK always had the right of way. The government pays to run on the tracks so they got preference, beside the fact that their top speed in the south is 79MPH, and for the railroad our speed were as follows general freight45 max, circus 45, coal or consist complete 50, and pigs 59.

Amtrak may play second fiddle in your neck of the woods but not here, I have lawned out several times waiting on AMTRAK to get in or out of single track. I have sat hours waiting on them to pass, not complaining, I was being paid, but sometimes frustrating.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There's only 1 Amtrak station in Idaho and it's in the far north, 500 miles from here. We could drive to Salt Lake, 200 miles, but that requires going to Salt Lake. I don't like Salt Lake.
Their routes and stations are very sparse in the west.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rrconductor

if you think about the drive to the airport, economy parking hassle, getting there an hour early, a connecting flight with a layover, getting baggage, rental car..etc, its adds alot of time to the flight. It might be a 3 hour flight but you still burn 6 or 7 hours dealing with it.

Just FYI ,I am retired from the railroad and AMTRAK always had the right of way. The government pays to run on the tracks so they got preference, beside the fact that their top speed in the south is 79MPH, and for the railroad our speed were as follows general freight45 max, circus 45, coal or consist complete 50, and pigs 59.

Amtrak may play second fiddle in your neck of the woods but not here, I have lawned out several times waiting on AMTRAK to get in or out of single track. I have sat hours waiting on them to pass, not complaining, I was being paid, but sometimes frustrating.

yea, I'm pretty confident in saying they take a backseat in our area. That was one of the biggest complaints about taking the train to Washington. It could be 18 hours or it could be 40 hours depending on the rail traffic they had to allow thru

I read an article a few years back saying that passenger trains were never profitable in America, its always been cargo

Maybe someone could answer - outside the northeast corridor, why don't they combine freight and passenger trains?

Last edited by KFWA; 04/20/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
some people have a gift for ranting. this guy is one of them

and I am with him 100% on this one - 40 second video

https://i.imgur.com/va5AYJw.mp4

About as reasonable a take as can be managed.

Before 9/11 I traveled a lot more via plane and work still required travel after 9/11, though I work assiduously to try to avoid it.

I have a similar rule, but my hour limits are greater. Once a work buddy and I rented a car and drove 12 hours for work to the destination. There is something to be said for the larger seat, the capability to stop & get out of the seat, and dropping trou in a real restroom. How much that is worth in hours traveled probably depends on one's own preferences and suchlike. Also, one does not risk flight cancellation when driving. The knock-on effects of a hail storm in Dallas once left me hosed way back east. The airline system can be knocked for a whirl pretty easily.

I, too, would like a real passenger rail system. The last few recessions we spent trillions to right the economic ship with stimulus spending. Obama, once he learned that infrastructure stimulus would go to working men, switched his stimulus to go to state gov't to keep paying bureaucrats. Point being, we could have had a decent taxpayer/gov't built passenger rail system several times over. High-speed between major metro areas, conventional rail from/between smaller metro areas. Used to have a somewhat local "interurban" rail system around here. Musta been nice.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I rode Amtrak a lot when I lived in NYC and needed to travel eastern seaboard. Sure beats traffic. My Mom comes out to visit from WI to ID and loves Amtrak. Very scenic route and great service.

Originally Posted by rrconductor

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
New airports will solve everything. An old airport is like a bad soil line plumbing job. It relies on physics and fails every time. When it is patched you add more failure modes that fail every time. The repairs to an old system often cost more than a whole system and will not work as well as a new system. The sooner you realize that the old airport doesn't meet the requirements the closer you are to replacing it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
[quote=rrconductor][quote=KFWA]

I read an article a few years back saying that passenger trains were never profitable in America, its always been cargo

Maybe someone could answer - outside the northeast corridor, why don't they combine freight and passenger trains?

In years gone by, we used to do that. We called the passengers "Hobos".

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The airlines, as a condition of taking coro-19 money, cannot layoff employees through 30 Sept. After 30 Sept., we will probably see massive layoffs in the airline industry. Payroll is the biggest expense in the airline industry. Many carriers are refusing to issue refunds because their cash flow positions are very tenuous. Cash flow trumps profits when it comes to running a business.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just left Tampa International, dropped a guy off that is heading to Alaska.

Monday morning traffic, in Tampa as well as the airport is always hectic.

It's about an 80 mile drive one way for me so we busied ourselves talking as we descended south toward Tampa.

I was all but in Tampa before I realized there was like zero traffic, almost eerie, pulled into departing flights and we were the only car there. This place is normally 6 lanes each way of stop and go traffic.
I drop off my friend and head back north, not another car on the road.

After about 10 miles 6 FedX trucks went rippin' by me. My buddy calls from airside and tells me there is no one in the airport except employees, he was alone at airside no vendors open.
We talk up until boards and tells me three other people showed up for the Tampa to Seattle non-stop flight.

Sweet deal, no problem social distancing on that flight. Need to go somewhere now's the time if you want to travel like you own your own jet.

Making my way back to Ozello, I find myself in the middle of a mild disaster zone in Homosassa.
Tornado had touched down moments prior to my arrival and tore the place up pretty good.

Emergency vehicles were passing me along the road in route.

Now the sun is out and it's 80, I'm gonna go fishing........

[Linked Image from bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com]
[Linked Image from bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com]
[Linked Image from wfla.com]

[Linked Image from wfla.com]

Little blip popped up on YT right away, it's short but shows some formation..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Departure from the free market. What could possibly go wrong?

Airlines: Subsidized while screaming “Free market”.

Passengers: Feeling entitled to cheap air fare while getting pissed about airlines receiving subsidies.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Back in the 80s, we took AMTRAK from Springfield, Illinois to Austin, Texas. Somewhere in Texas (outside Longview?) the train came to a stop out in the country. As the air conditioning shut down and it got increasingly warmer, we wondered what was going on. Eventually, here came a tank truck along the dusty road next to the tracks.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.