Print Thread
Hop To
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Well. I can answer my own question. Because of better ergos and the old price was just tolerable, to me. I have one and really like it. I will be ordering a .308, T3X stainless Superlight, but may have to settle for a Stainless Fluted Hunter. If I get the Hunter, it will probably go into the McMillan Hunters Edge that my T3 stainless Lite 243 is in now and the 243 will go back into it's original stock, which I have given a facelift, and is shown here in the pictures.
For a better grip on the old T3 stock, I stippled the grip areas with a soldering iron. I replaced the old recoil pad with one I made from a high density exercise mat after a slight trim and squaring up of the butt stock for my preferred LOP. After replacing the factory plated sling studs with real stainless ones, I did a sponge camo paint job with satin clear coat on it. It now weighs 26 ounces on the dot. My McEdge weighs 26 .5 ounces. At $636 plus (for me) international shipping, I think I'll pass on another McMillan Hunters Edge and sacrifice a bit on the ergos. RJ
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]photohost free
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]chevronwithtechron com

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice! My edge is 2 oz. lighter than the factory T3x. Definitely not worth the price if all you seek is lighter weight. I actually don’t mind the T3x stock. I just add a limbsaver and have it cerakoted.

[Linked Image from uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com]

You ain't about that life.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I was going to say that replacing the Tupperware stock on a T3 makes is real rifle... but you figured it out. So... yeah.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've come to the conclusion that the best way to get a high end stock is to buy rifles that already have one. Got a couple like that, and one more is on the way. Hate waiting and hate spending a bunch of extra money and really hate trying to unload extra crap after replacing it with something else.

Don't mind watching others go through all that though.😛

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have replaced all of my Tikka stocks with EDGE fill stocks. Not for the weight saving but the ergos of them fit me much better at 14 1/8 LOP and feel much better to me while shooting. The Tikka is a great rifle as it comes but no factory built rifle really suits me in LOP so McM fills the gap.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I've come to the conclusion that the best way to get a high end stock is to buy rifles that already have one. Got a couple like that, and one more is on the way. Hate waiting and hate spending a bunch of extra money and really hate trying to unload extra crap after replacing it with something else.

Don't mind watching others go through all that though.😛

You and me both. 😁

You ain't about that life.
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
You got that right Pappy. I suppose that is a big factor in the popularity of the Barret Fieldcraft and Kinder Montana. It is too bad the Fieldcrafts are on hold. I cannot buy either of those rifles here in E. Europe. If I want to import one, it's the price of the rifle, plus around $1500 in importers fees and another 20 percent import tax. Ouch!!! And a Tikka T3X Superlite will cost me $1400. I know what you guys in the states get them for. But, I cannot complain. I brought most of my rifles over here in one shipment so buying a rifle or shotgun here is an occasional thing. I am able to hunt all I want here for very little expense. Life is good (except for corona virus pandemic). RJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rj308,
If you don’t mind me asking, where did you get your stainless sling studs. I can’t even find nickel plated ones for a couple of my rifles. All I get is “no longer available”!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got my FC pretty early. I often think I "need" another, but that would really be an excess for me. The featherweight rifle concept really appeals to me after decades of toting 9-10 pounders around. Just ordered another lightweight ML to replace the one I gave away. 7 pounds all-up is a great weight, properly balanced.

Your sponge job looks great. Ought to disappear in the evergreens, and Honeysuckle, if you have that over there in Yurrup.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I don't like Projects. I would rather buy the complete package then spend $$$ on a project gun. Winchester ,Remington and Ruger come to mind when I want a project gun as all three have at least one or two items that need to be switched out or modified at minimum.

Spending almost 700 on a 750 dollar rifle for a stock for 3 oz net loss is not for everyone.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The ergo argument against T3 stocks is always a winner.

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks Pappy. To me roughly 7 pounds seems to be my magic number too. Any heavier and a long day in the mountains just tires this old man out. Too much lighter and it starts compromising my shooting skills.

Last round, About 2 years ago I bought the stainless studs off of Ebay. At that time, I bought enough to put on all of my stainless rifles If I remember correctly, some small business in Montana or Idaho made and sold them. When I search the order, Ebay says the item is no longer available.

16bore, I agree, The difference in ergos, I'll have to tip to the Mc as far as feeling best to me. But, we are talking about a small margin here. The factory Tikka T3 stock handles just fine to me. RJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m one of the few fools that has no issue with them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have no problem with the Tikka stocks either. I'm also in the minority of folks that believe Mickey stocks are waaaay overpriced and not worth the money. I still have one, but have never had a rifle shoot better just because it rode in a Mickey.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Classics on Rem 700’s are nice, but I got over Remingtons a long time ago.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I have no problem with the Tikka stocks either. I'm also in the minority of folks that believe Mickey stocks are waaaay overpriced and not worth the money. I still have one, but have never had a rifle shoot better just because it rode in a Mickey.

JG is right on. I like the new t3x stock a little better that the t3, heck even the new pad is acceptable. My gun shots just over .6 inch 3 shot groups with my hunting load out of the box so why spend that much cash for something that at best may make it shoot as good as the factory stock.

I like the feel of a McM but ith their new pricing schedule I can just buy another T3x instead.

Be well all. Spence

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Way overpriced and my 2 had wait times of 6 months plus .

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,131 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,485
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.