Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Hey Paul—I was in the bush for a couple of days —gotta guy here trying to finish off his beaver quota—so I didn’t see this announcement until this morning. Evidently the Quarantine Act has an expiry date and had to be extended. As stated it was extended another 30 days. As I read it the border would open up on May 19 unless it is extended further—which is entirely possible depending on what happens with the Kung Flu. That would put the opening on Monday of Victoria Day weekend. Except for a few Rainbow fishermen along the North Shore we don’t see many tourists until Memorial Day anyway.
I honestly don’t know what is gonna happen in the next 30 days—on the medical front it ain’t bad here locally so it could get worse—it could get better also. One thing for sure on the economic front it is only going to get worse the longer this lockdown goes on.

Karl, my take away was;

Yes May 19th, but still + 14 days self isolation ??

Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Camps up here are going bat$hit crazy with worry & cash flow issues !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
BP-B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We may be lucky to make it up by Canada Day.

Paul, is the fishing contest called off?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Assuming that you mean the Dryden walleye masters Richard ?

Yes, I believe the Ontario MNR has requested all "fishing derbies" be cancelled for this season.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
That's not all bad, I've never entered one, and I think they kill of a lot of walleyes.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
No way the US/Can border will be closed for months. Not going to happen. There will be to much pressure from both sides of the line. People have to work in order to eat. The oil industry in Alberta is taking a huge hit, the lumber industry in BC is next. The damage that is being done by all these lockdowns wont be easy to turn around if we opened up tomorrow.....a few months from now it would be impossible and we would be in a depression that most economists say would take decades to get out of.

Science is proving that this virus is not as deadly as they first thought. In one prison in Ohio for example only 5% of inmates that tested positive even showed symptoms. The real mortality rate is falling every day. It killed a relative of mine so I know it can kill....but the reality is that its not as deadly as we were led to believe in the beginning.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I disagree, to large extent, the border closure will remain as long as you have NYC type scenes . A poll put wait until 2 weeks with no new cases at 71% , 17% for a vaccine. Of course if we had complete and accurate testing, it would be a game changer. The antibody teat they have now is good enough a population survey, but not on an individual basis.

Deadly is very age related. The UK was late in the lockdown, so you can get some good numbers on rates, an 80%, 20% split. with 20% getting seriously sick. That 20% spits down into hospitalized, ICU and death. Since I would fall into the 20%. I consider it serious.

As far as the oil patch, I don't think there is much the government can do .

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My sympathies to all the fishing camps that are going into their season with such uncertainty. We are all geared up to drive north if given the go ahead, but the Canadian decision makers don't have a choice but to be very careful. While the statistics of COVID-19 are looking more favorable, Canada has far less ICU beds and ventilators per capita than the United States. Thus, a flare up after re-opening business and the border would lead to more lost lives there. As rapidly as the testing is being rolled out, I would not be surprised if they were to do limited testing at the border depending on each individual's destination. For example, going camping and fishing in a provincial park is less likely to spread the virus than going to a mall in Winnipeg.

Last edited by blair903; 04/21/20.

It's more than just the trigger pull.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
The problem is that's not just the tourism businesses that are suffering....its the entire economy. They are going to have to make some serious decisions soon or there wont be anything left to open up....thats just the cold hard reality. The information I've seen doesn't show an 80-20 split, but whatever the numbers are maybe those at higher risk will have to isolate themselves while the country gets back to work.

The feds certainly could help the oil patch, how about fast track the pipelines they've been holding up since Justine got elected.......people seem to think the Govt can solve all their problems but the fact is all these social programs cost money. Money the Govt gets from taxpayers. Take taxpayers out of the equation and where is the money going to come from??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think they are looking at what FDR did during the Great Depression, not what Mackenzie King did , or more to point didn't. We will be paying for this for years to come there is no doubt. Oil patch: They had already bought a pipeline and were pushing it ahead as fast as the courts would allow. If they had refined the oil in Alberta, , they wouldn't have had that problem. But that is in the past.. Tar sands oil , WCS, was trading at - $3.81 when I checked this morning, Ouch. It costs over $20 to make it. WCS prices are complicated, but that still way below cost. TECK pulled out of a tar sands project. I worked for a contractor working for TECK, those old placer miners were hard nosed with very sharp pencils. If they thought there was no future in tar sands, I would question putting money into it. We have to as Canadians find ways to keep food on the table and roofs over the heads. Stay safe

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
I had two trips planned to Canada this summer. The first was near Sioux Lookout in early June. That was is already cancelled. The second is for northern Manitoba in late July. I'm still hopeful for that one. I know a lot of people have suffered greatly from the virus, so I feel a bit selfish worrying about big pike. Nonetheless, I do.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

It's more than just the trigger pull.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Border closed until at least June 21st to non-essential travel. What really suprised me was he number of my local aquaintces who are fine with this.

In all of Northwestern Ontario—79 cases—9 hospitalized—1 death. The death was a 41 year old man who had cancer. No new cases the last few days.

Meanwhile there is a ton of small businesses that have died.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm pretty sure the border closure will be extended further than June 21. Some articles indicate several months is likely. I guess I better not use my points on Wyoming antelope, too risky to gamble the border opens again.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.