Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In recent years I've been using a bunch of different brands of rifle brass, because so much of the stuff from "traditional" manufacturers isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

The new brands I've used have included such commonly known brands as Hornady, Lapua, Norma, Nosler, and not-so-common brands including Jagemann, Jamison, Peterson, Prvi Partizan, Quality Cartridge, RWS, Sellier & Bellot and Starline. All have beaten the traditional stuff in consistent dimensions, and often in toughness. Some of them, however, don't make .270 Winchester brass, but most do. Others must be ordered, and you can easily find prices on-line--but quite often I buy Hornady locally, because a couple of stores stock it, and have found it consistently good, and relatively inexpensive compared to others.

Hornady is golden in my .270.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I'm a cheap azz.... I stocked up on the Winchester flavor of Crod1972's 1x brass with the "scribe mark" long ago. Nothing has refused to die because of the brass I'm shooting.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I forgot Lapua, I like it too.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Orion,

Long ago Winchester .270 brass tended to be very good. I bought some of the same pressure-test brass from him, and it worked very well. But the last batch I bought wasn't so good, and neither was new Winchester brass purchased at a local store.

In fact, the last time I was more than satisfied with Winchester brass was 2014, when I bought some .222 Remingtons that turned out to be very good. After that about half the new Winchester cases I bought in various cartridges were rejects, for various reasons.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight

I like Lapua also, but they don't make 270 brass. it's not worth necking down or up what they make to fit a 270 !!!!!!
I will stay with Federal in this chambering

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did my 270 brass search about 6 months ago I checked everything on the market and decided on the Hornaday 250 pc bag. If Starline had been available during my search I would have bought that stuff off the reputation of their handgun brass but I didn't see any for sale, they must have just started cranking it out in 270 Winchester.

Looking over the prices now it would have cost me about $10-15 bucks more to get the Starline.

But then I had real good results with 100 pc of Hornaday brass in my HB target .243 Winchester, originally bought 5 boxes of the Hornaday factory load they make in 70/75 grain loading when I put the Winchester Model_70 Heavy Varmint together. Shot that to break in the water piped sized stainless steel barrel & kept the 100 pc of brass to work up my own load.

I shot that stuff relentlessly till it needed to be annealed then did that & shot another 5x. Was running a Sierra 75 grainer at 3200 fps so it was no powder-puff target load. Surprisingly the primer pockets stayed decent all the way thru. Don't know if you can ask more from a piece of brass than that, must have trimmed them back down to minimum length 3-4×....lol

We deal in lead, friend.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Norma.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Orion,

Long ago Winchester .270 brass tended to be very good. I bought some of the same pressure-test brass from him, and it worked very well. But the last batch I bought wasn't so good, and neither was new Winchester brass purchased at a local store.

In fact, the last time I was more than satisfied with Winchester brass was 2014, when I bought some .222 Remington's that turned out to be very good. After that about half the new Winchester cases I bought in various cartridges were rejects, for various reasons.

Sir,

Understood. For my casual shooting, my primary goal is accuracy. As long as I am MOA or better, accuracy wise, I am good. My load development typically starts at a mid-range book load and ends with the first sub MOA load that I find. I do not typically chase FPS (high pressure), nor work to shave thousandths off a sub-MOA load. O.K., I am lazy in addition to cheap. grin I shoot to have fun.

I have not checked recent batches of Winchester brass. However, in a previous life when I was weighing a representative sample of all cases, Winchester was the better than most. Maybe that has changed in recent times and I just haven't noticed it. However, at the moment, what I have on hand seems to be working acceptably such that it is not a concern for me.

Take care !

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight

I like Lapua also, but they don't make 270 brass. it's not worth necking down or up what they make to fit a 270 !!!!!!
I will stay with Federal in this chambering

Yep, I had a Sr moment there! ha

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As much 270 and 30-06 brass as Ive picked up at the range in the last 25 years I tend to prefer the Remington brass. Not a fan of WW or Federal at all.

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
What issues have people been seeing with the current Winchester brass? I just picked up my first few bags for a .270win, also a Fieldcraft.

I'm surprised to see so many people liking the Hornady brass. I've had nothing good come from them lately. I had a batch of new unfired 7mm-08 brass that wouldn't chamber, turned out the web/base was out of spec. Had a batch of new unfired .358win brass that wouldn't fit the proper size bolt face/extractor or shell holders. Had a batch of something else blow primers out of the pockets no matter what the charge was right from the first firing. Now I have a batch of new unfired .280AI that is getting split necks after only 1 to 3 firings. I've tried to anneal a bunch to see if that helps but I shouldn't need to anneal virgin brass. I only set shoulder back the minimum .001" to .002" based on my once fired brass measurements. Never any issues with any of these rifles with other brass.

FWIW, I stick with Lapua when I can, but have had good results with Remington and Starline in a couple chamberings I couldn't get Lapua for.

Last edited by russm86; 04/20/20.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by John55
Another vote for Hornady brass. Been using some in my 270 and 300 Win mag and it's been fine.

I’m using Hornady in most things now and have found it very good.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 47 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,499
Posts18,452,455
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.