Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Who saves and eats the legs and thighs? Lot’s of my friends toss them. I feel you should keep and eat the “reasonable parts. I’m not eating the gizzards or lips. Just asking. If you do eat them what is your favorite recipe using the dark meat?

Last edited by bamagun01; 04/20/20.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I save them every year. Usually I kill 2 birds and a few friends will donate theirs. I make a big pot of wild turkey and wild rice soup with them. I simmer them on medium low heat for a several hours until theybget somewhat tender. Then pull the meat off the bones, separate any tendons and cartilage, cut the meat into 1/4”-1/2” cubes, and simmer diced celery, carrots, and onions with a few cloves of garlic until tender. Then add in the turkey cubes, and the wild rice that was cooked in a separate pot. Add spices to flavor, i.e. chicken bouillon, black pepper, bay leaves, parsley, oregano, etc. I skipped making it for our camp meeting one year and about got banned from the joint!

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Crockpot with broth for 6-8hrs
Separate meat from bones and tendons
Shred the meat and season with salt, pepper, garlic, cayenne
Cover in bbq sauce and mix
Sammiches

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I do as well. Similar process as Borden. It’s actually very good that way. Just don’t try to smoke them. Tougher than a Michelin tire. Lol

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Sammiches

Bingo! It's a total waste to throw them away, lots of good eating and not that much more work.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use turkey legs/thighs the same as I do pheasants, slow cooked until they'll pull/shred easily. Then can go into noodles/dumplings/pot pie/enchiladas, etc.

Not using them is a total waste.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Throw them away?! He77 no, best part of the bird.
Simmer til meat falls away from tendons and bone. Fry the spiced meat as carnitas and make tacos, or use the meat in soups, mole' enchiladas, or etc etc.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Sammiches

I do this same thing for the legs.

For the thighs, I layer the bottom of a crockpot with carrots cut in 1/2 long ways. Put a layer of celery perpendicular to that. Lay 4-6 thighs on top. One can Cream of Mushroom, one can Cream of Chicken, splash of white wine, 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms and whatever spices you like. In 4-6 hours, when meat is tender, spoon over rice, noodles or mashed potatoes.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use them for Gumbo's or Stews. Hank Shaw had a good recipe for wings. It is a great addition for sausage and Rytek Kutas In "Sausage Making" had a good heart healthy turkey sausage recipe. They make good tacos too, anything that calls for shredded chicken will be better with the slow cooked turkey.

I have made jerky but decided it isn't worth it unless you like the ground type which I don't. Also have made turkey tettrazini when I had left over ham and turkey.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
My thoughts exactly!!

I slow cooked 4 legs & thighs and now I’m using them in different recipes. Tacos tonight burritos tomorrow. I froze some for later. I can’t believe how many people do not use the legs and thighs. I’ve asked my friends to give me ALL of their unwanted turkey meat.

Last edited by bamagun01; 04/21/20.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Consomme made of everything and anything other than the breast meat. Boneless turkey thigh meat in coconut milk and curry.

Spent enough time in Japan and the Indian sub-continent to appreciate the more flavoursome parts of game animals. smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We make soup out of them as others note. That recipe that Borden811 mentions sounds really good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I fry the thighs and the legs are soup. Tried smoking legs, like eatting a rock.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'd rather eat the gizzard, heart and nuts than wild turkey legs. Actually the nuts are the best part!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Put them in an InstaPot for 64 minutes and then pull the meat off the bones. Makes great soup and turkey pot pie

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I save the thighs but not the drum sticks.

Go ahead and pop the heart, gizzard and liver out. Those 3 beat the hell out of any turkey drummie.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have used the crockpot for such in the past, but the instapot has relegated that to the dustbin.

For a long, long time I've made turkey soup with the legs and thighs of domestic or wild birds, celery, onion, carrots, broth, and Uncle Bens Long Grain and Wild Rice mix. Works well with chicken too. Good stuff, and very filling.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I save the breasts and thighs. Grind them up together and freeze in 1 lb packages. Used for tacos, chili, enchiladas.....

Brian

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have tried them in crock pot and smoking them. I have never been able to get them tender.
Buddy has a instapot and I’ve been giving them to him. He says they are good cooking it in

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Like eating a bowl of rubber bands as far as I'm concerned! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

67 members (160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 9 invisible), 1,056 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,488
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.