Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That's what I am thinking.

I know Dober has some 180's but I haven't seen him break them out on the range yet through his Masher.

Semper Fi
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here are a couple shots of Page's Ol Betsy that was for sale a few years ago.. I was hoping Bob would snag this old devil, but it went to another home.

[Linked Image from i723.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i723.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by haazrob
8 lbs or less scoped is my goal as well.

Deciding between a big 7 or a 300 Win Mag.

I know Bob always preferred the big 7.

I still have a pile of 7mm Dakota brass onhand, but that would involve work on the bolt face, etc.

Mashburn or Nosler if I go with a 7mm.

I do have a 7mm Rem Mag I built on a M70 classic edge. Sub 8lbs with a Swaro Z5 3.5-18 in Talley Lightweights. One of my "core 4".

Shoots the 160 Accubond VERY well at 3100, so maybe what I'm looking for is already in the safe.

What load do you use to get 3100?

It's either 66.0 or 68.0 7828SSC, I'd need to check my notes. Shot over my LabRadar chrono.

I'm going to load some 175 Partitions over Retumbo and RL26. Should get 2900+ I would think.

If anyone has a good load, chime in!

If the 175 shoots well with acceptable velocity, the decision may be made for me.

I'd bet if you get 3100 with 160 Accubonds you'll get near 3000 with the 175's. I love my Mashburn but a good 7 Rem Mag sure is easy and alot less money!

I loaded some 175s up over RL26. Waiting for the range to reopen.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I loaded some 175s up over RL26. Waiting for the range to reopen.

Excellent, I am looking forward to seeing that work. I haven't ever found the 175 Partition to be hard to get shooting. I used to use RL22 and the 175 Partition in my old 7mm Rem before it became a Mashburn for around 2950 and it was accurate, but Bob got in my head and told me if I like that, I'd like the same bullet moving a 100 FPS faster! whistle

He weren't wrong!

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
If RL26 doesn't perk I'll give Retumbo a go.

I'll be happy with 2950 or better.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd bet money that 7828, H1000, Retumbo, 26 or a few others, and maybe RL23 if you can find that will get you there.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Roger that, a lot of good choices to stretch it out with, i'll be plenty happy to hunt with these 160 AB's till they're shot up, may look at something different then, LOL, Ol Betsy looks like a cool piece too.

Damn Fed-X truck ran while ago, just got through planting three rows of beans, my damn back is killing me, each bean seed one inch deep, three inches apart with rows two feet apart, AYFKM? crazy grin, the things we do for our women!

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
As a rifle looney issue I understand the appeal of the 7mm Mashburn, but if I needed more than a 7mm Remington magnum in a Remington 700, I would go get a 7mm Weatherby in a Weatherby MK V. Let the flaming begin.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
As a rifle looney issue I understand the appeal of the 7mm Mashburn, but if I needed more than a 7mm Remington magnum in a Remington 700, I would go get a 7mm Weatherby in a Weatherby MK V. Let the flaming begin.

That is the easy way if you like Weatherbys and freebore! Matter of fact, I have used a bunch of 7mm Wby data to get started with the Mashburn.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I am not that familiar with the 7mm Mashburn ballistics, what does it actually gain over the 7mm Weatherby? I'm not trying to be argumentative I'm just not that familiar with the round.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
The Mashburn has no performance advantage over the 7 Weatherby, or 7 Dakota for that matter. The case sizes for all three are just a touch bigger than the 7 Rem Mag. I consider 7 Weatherby data as a max velocity for the Mashburn. Amazingly 7 Rem Mag max charge loads in my Mashburns usually outperform 7 Weatherby book velocities.

The advantage of the 7 Mashburn over the 7 Weatherby is brass availability. There are several sources of high quality 300 Win Mag brass and less availability, at higher cost, of 7 Weatherby brass.

But if you are willing to get the 7 Weatherby brass it’s a darn good round. Same as the 7 STW (brass availability), 28 Nosler (one source of brass, availability), 7 RUM (availability), 7 Dakota (one source). They are all good rounds.

Then there’s the wildcat thing. Advantage or disadvantage depending on the person.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I understand the brass availability issue, but in the age of ordering brass on line I don't think that it's as big an issues as it may have been in the past. Another point in favor of the Weatherby is while it doesn't matter when hunting in the United States, when hunting overseas, other countries customs people may want the ammunition head stamps to match the markings on the rifle barrel. No I agree that the cost issue between 7mm Weatherby brass and 300 Winchester brass is real, but considering the cost of assembling a custom chambered wildcat rifle it's a bit of a reach for my sense of logic but it is a rifle looney thing.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I understand the brass availability issue, but in the age of ordering brass on line I don't think that it's as big an issues as it may have been in the past. Another point in favor of the Weatherby is while it doesn't matter when hunting in the United States, when hunting overseas, other countries customs people may want the ammunition head stamps to match the markings on the rifle barrel. No I agree that the cost issue between 7mm Weatherby brass and 300 Winchester brass is real, but considering the cost of assembling a custom chambered wildcat rifle it's a bit of a reach for my sense of logic but it is a rifle looney thing.

You aren't wrong at all with any of your points and if you are concerned with any of them a standard Wby is pretty much your man.

Some of the best Mashburns out there are rechambered 7 Rem Mag's to be honest. For a 100 bucks (to rechamber) and a set of dies you are into a Mashburn. The Mashburn gets speed from maximized case space while the Weatherby dotes off of freebore. It's a pick your poison sorta deal. No wrong answers just different ways for getting up the hill.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Beretzs, you are correct, I was thinking of having the rifle built from scratch, I didn't consider rechambering an existing 7mm Remington. In that case it's just the cost of rechambering ($100) because the cost of the dies is a wash, Mashburn or Weatherby.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Beretzs, you are correct, I was thinking of having the rifle built from scratch, I didn't consider rechambering an existing 7mm Remington. In that case it's just the cost of rechambering ($100) because the cost of the dies is a wash, Mashburn or Weatherby.

I recommend that to anyone that just wants to try one out. A quick rechamber on a 700 is really good since you can seat bullets where you want them. A 70 needs a 3.6 magazine and a shortened bolt stop.

A reamer like Matt Hoffman’s or Dober’s would work well in a short magazine though.

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I recommend that to anyone that just wants to try one out. A quick rechamber on a 700 is really good since you can seat bullets where you want them. A 70 needs a 3.6 magazine and a shortened bolt stop.

A reamer like Matt Hoffman’s or Dober’s would work well in a short magazine though.

I have a 700 CDL SF in 7 rem mag. THe reamer will clean up the chamber on that gun? If so I am interested.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I have a 700 CDL SF in 7 rem mag. THe reamer will clean up the chamber on that gun? If so I am interested.

Oh yeah, easy peasy. My old one I pictured on this thread has ALOT of teenager hand loading learning shots with H870 through it and 18 years extra on the barrel. Once the smith took it back and thread and rechambered it, it was like a new barrel. I was blown away how well it shot as a rechamber.

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks for that info. It has flutes so they probably have to index those as well.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They will put it back right OEH, since they take a thread off it seems like it goes right back to where it belongs.

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Methinks Beretzs has had the Mashurn standard passed to him from Bob smile

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,233
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.