Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Since we are talking about the 7-300.

I've had her for a couple weeks now, playing around with load development. Looks like she is going to shoot very well!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Gunsmith: Kevin Weaver
Remington 700
Echols Shrike stock, edge shell, regular fill
Lilja barrel, 9-twist
TriggerTech trigger
Sunny Hill bottom metal
Talley standard steel mounts (Signature Bases and Screw Lock Rings)
All metal Nitride coated

Kevin did all the Shrike stock fitting, put in the nice sling studs, replaced the barrel. He did an excellent job!

She's the one on the right...the other Mashburn is the one on the left. Also a Kevin Weaver.

Last edited by joelkdouglas; 04/23/20.
GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Details on the wood stocked Mashburn?

That's a beauty!

“Factio democratica delenda est"
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks!

Wood stocked Mashburn

Rifle details:
Gunsmith Kevin Weaver
Wood from Roger Vardy in Australia
Stock and metal work done by Kevin (I think he sent the bolt out for bolt checkering)
Borden Timberline Magnum action (SS steel)
#2 Krieger, 8-twist (CM steel)
Dakota bottom metal
Nitride coating by H&M (Kevin sent it out for coating)
Talley Signature bases and Screw Lock rings
Leupold 6x42 LRD

More pictures of her here. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14295738/1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The one on the left is gorgeous !

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Nice!

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Nice rifles. What are the barrel lengths?

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
25 on the wood stocked rifle and 24 on the Shrike

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Joel,
Great pics and good looking rifles!
Any idea what the shrike with edge shell and standard fill weights? And what is the advantage of this combination (weight savings - anything else?)
Have read that you can do edge shell/standard fill or regular glass/edge fill, just curious as to the why. Any change in recoil perception that you notice from your other legends?
Really appreciate it - and love your write ups and pics!

Last edited by AKwolverine; 04/23/20.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn nice rifles Joel, you should christen this the 7mm Mashburn thread and have everyone put up pics of their rifles.

Trump Won!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Gunner - great idea!

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by gunner500
Damn nice rifles Joel, you should christen this the 7mm Mashburn thread and have everyone put up pics of their rifles.

Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Gunner - great idea!

I’m in!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

Gunner - great idea!

I’m in!

Change the thread title to something like "Here's my 7mm Mashburn, show us yours!

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Joel,
Great pics and good looking rifles!
Any idea what the shrike with edge shell and standard fill weights? And what is the advantage of this combination (weight savings - anything else?)
Have read that you can do edge shell/standard fill or regular glass/edge fill, just curious as to the why. Any change in recoil perception that you notice from your other legends?
Really appreciate it - and love your write ups and pics!

Thanks!

I haven’t taken it off finished to weigh it but I would guess around the 32 oz mark based off weighing it before it was finished. I think it was around 25 oz before finishing/without recoil pad.

As for the advantage of the edge shell, I like it because it’s a very stiff shell. The standard shell is good but pretty easy to flex in my opinion. The edge shell you just can’t bend.

D’Arcy Echols is the brains behind the standard fill. He explained to me that he has noted the Edge shell/Edge fill to result in rifles that are “finicky”. He said he has seen more reliable performance shooting wise with the edge shell/standard fill than the edge shell/edge fill. Anecdotally I noted I have a 30-06 with edge/edge combination that is finicky—what it likes it will shoot lights out, what it doesn’t like it will not shoot no matter what you do.

I can’t speak to the recoil reduction compared to the Legend. I’ve not shot a Legend, though I’ve handled a bunch of friends’ Legends. I can say the Shrike definitely handles recoil nicely and the geometry of the stock makes handling the rifle through the recoil pulse very well. My buddies with Legends say the same. Echols really has some great stocks and I wouldn’t hesitate to get either. It did take me quite a while to get the Shrike.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Count me in as another Mashburn user. Mine is basically a duplicate of Farese's gun, built by same builder using pretty much the same parts with the exception of the barrel.Mine has a Bartlien and his a Krieger, both in 9 twist. I had another one but eventually rebarreled it to 7mm Rem mag. Having 2 wildcat chambers cut from different reamers is something to avoid, trust me on that!
Mine is like Beretz's gun in that it has a long throat, the reamer was ground specifically for 175 Noslers and like his, it shoots very well with them but not so good with lighter/shorter bullets. I've had another reamer made to the same body spec's but with a shorter throat and it will be used this year on a new barrel to be installed on the gun.
This rifle has taught me a lot about cases and how they match up with sizing dies. My original Redding sizer was apparently made to a smaller case dimension in several critical areas and it over worked the brass a lot. This caused excess pressure even with moderate loads and I trashed many cases before finally having a custom Whidden sizer made to match my chamber. Since then life has been much better and I'm finally getting the speeds I'd hoped for, all with good case life. If I were to give any prospective Mashburn owner a bit of advice it'd be to have a custom die made from your brass, it's just a crap shoot to buy a standard die and expect it to fit your chamber correctly.
From talking to various folks, it's reasonable to expect 50-75fps more velocity than a Rem mag will offer from same barrel lengths. Sometimes you get a "fast" barrel and can see more than that, but in general I've found that to be close. My 25" Rem mag pretty much equals my 24" Mashburn, so if case forming, then fire forming, then reaming donuts and buying custom dies doesn't appeal to you, just put a 25" or 26" barrel on a Rem mag and be happy! No elk, deer or moose will ever know the difference. But if you're a gun nut and like a bit of nostalgia to go along with having a very well balanced cartridge, the Mashburn is definitely worth having.

Edit. Mine has a Legend stock with Edge shell/fill and it is a bit finicky as to loads. I also have a 300 Win mag with same stock and it exhibits the same tendencies.

Last edited by John55; 04/23/20. Reason: added info.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
The one on the right is GORGEOUS!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great post Joel. Looks great. I’ve got Matt’s Masher at my house and think I have a picture of Bobs as well. I’ll get some pictures posted.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Mine is cut with the same reamer as John’s. I also have custom Whidden dies and echo what he has said.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Gunner - great idea!

I’m in!

Hell of a deal, I'm afraid if I send anymore pics for beretzs to post the next time he's driving out West to elk hunt he's going to stop in here and kick me in the balls ; ]

Trump Won!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Pathfinder, who was the smith?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Gunner - great idea!

I’m in!

Hell of a deal, I'm afraid if I send anymore pics for beretzs to post the next time he's driving out West to elk hunt he's going to stop in here and kick me in the balls ; ]

Send em Gunner...

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 53 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.