R
RNF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Interesting video on knife sharpening systems

Last edited by RNF; 04/22/20.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Tag for later

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good stuff - thanks RNF ..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This video is worth watching although I don't totally agree with his testing proceedures. The micrographs are enlightening and show poor edge quality prior to the test which may have been addressed prior to testing. Also, most can look at the magnified edge and judge which will have better endurance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I like my Lansky.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Wicked Edge for me...

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use the Spyderco system with the V Block and the triangular shaped sticks. Easy to use and produces a razor sharp edge even on serrated blades.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Bump

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I liked it and found it interesting. I've used at least 4 of them.

What I've learned over the years is: that I'm not capable of holding the knife at exactly the same angle for hundreds or even thousands of strokes, so the whetstone is out for me.

I can see that the Spyderco Sharpmaker is dependent on the user holding a consistent angle on every stroke, and I don't trust myself to be that consistent.

Through use of my current one, (down below) I've learned that I didn't spend nearly enough strokes on the Lanksy to get a burr through all the stone progressions and therefore didn't get a proper edge. After watching this video, I realized that mine didn't come with the detailed directions about setting up the rod to be perfectly parallel with the stone, etc. But that was many years ago, so it's possible that my memory is faulty.

With the Edgepro, I'd have a great edge going and then the blade would rock on the table changing the angle and in one stroke I'd undo what I'd just spent 15 or 20 minutes getting. I also wasn't crazy about the mess with the water stones.

I finally got frustrated enough that I bought the Wicked Edge Pro Pack I for $500, and added a 1200/1600 stone for another $100- $600 total. I sharpened every knife I own, sheath knives, pocket knives, and kitchen knives over a few week period of time. Other than a wicked cut on my finger when I put it where I shouldn't have, I'm the happiest I've ever been on knife sharpness. In my opinion, it eliminates about as much of the human error as possible, short of a machine doing everything for you.

Last edited by bhemry; 04/26/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A $900 sharpener????

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I can get all of mine shaving sharp free hand with a stone. Don't need anything else.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a stone to get my knives sharp and a leather honing belt on my small belt sander to polish the edge. Honing with the belt sander seems to produce a longer lasting edge and my knives get shaving sharp.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Judman
A $900 sharpener????

Yah,

This is specious and disingenuous...

$900 for a WEPS entails buying the model designed for professional sharpening businesses. It's nowhere near that much for a user model of the best sharpener available today...

and ever.

They are truly in a league of their own...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bhemry
I liked it and found it interesting. I've used at least 4 of them.

What I've learned over the years is: that I'm not capable of holding the knife at exactly the same angle for hundreds or even thousands of strokes, so the whetstone is out for me.

I can see that the Spyderco Sharpmaker is dependent on the user holding a consistent angle on every stroke, and I don't trust myself to be that consistent.

Through use of my current one, (down below) I've learned that I didn't spend nearly enough strokes on the Lanksy to get a burr through all the stone progressions and therefore didn't get a proper edge. After watching this video, I realized that mine didn't come with the detailed directions about setting up the rod to be perfectly parallel with the stone, etc. But that was many years ago, so it's possible that my memory is faulty.

With the Edgepro, I'd have a great edge going and then the blade would rock on the table changing the angle and in one stroke I'd undo what I'd just spent 15 or 20 minutes getting. I also wasn't crazy about the mess with the water stones.

I finally got frustrated enough that I bought the Wicked Edge Pro Pack I for $500, and added a 1200/1600 stone for another $100- $600 total. I sharpened every knife I own, sheath knives, pocket knives, and kitchen knives over a few week period of time. Other than a wicked cut on my finger when I put it where I shouldn't have, I'm the happiest I've ever been on knife sharpness. In my opinion, it eliminates about as much of the human error as possible, short of a machine doing everything for you.

Great Post!!!

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm halfway competent at sharpening knives and tools freehand.
Different knives are best sharpened in different ways.
Do you want a polished edge or a bit of "tooth" (for slicing tomatoes, etc.)
A diamond hone can make the job much easier on some blades.

Last edited by night_owl; 05/02/20.

abusus non tollit usum

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

455 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 44 invisible), 2,105 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.