Hop To
Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Hey Guys,

Totally new to this so bare with me. I got into bird watching last year and have really been enjoying it. I’d like to start taking some pics with something other than my I phone.

I have no camera experience

What I’m looking for is a good quality, versatile camera that I won’t out grow. How much should I be prepared to spend? Again...really want something nice that I won’t outgrow. It’s going to about a year I’d imagine as I’m a working class stiff and I’ll be buying from camera land as I’ve had fantastic service with binos etc.

Any and all advice would be hugely appreciated

Again...jack of all trades for birding

GOD Bless America
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Just a DSLR camera that you can change lenses with. There are many used ones out there and many are not used very hard. I have a Nikon 3100 that I am happy with . The telephoto lens is not very good though but the camera is nothing to sneeze at. You can get them for just a few hundred dollars. I also have a Cannon 1DS MK 111. It is a professional camera. I got it for $1,000 and $200 for the lens. New, it was a $6,300 camera and the lens was $900 new. It takes better pictures than the Nikon. However, it is a heavy camera and harder to get good pictures cause it is not in any way a point and shoot camera . I mess up on a lot of pictures , but when I get it right, the picture is no doubt superior to the Nikon. If you want really good pictures, there are Nikon, Cannon that are common . My BIL loves his Panasonic Luminix too. Sony is also a very fine camera , not as popular though. A good lens is important.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Quak
...What I’m looking for is a good quality, versatile camera that I won’t out grow...

You're starting out with the wrong premise. What you really want is a camera system that you won't outgrow. Spend the real money on one great telephoto lens. Use that on a modest camera, if that's all you can afford.

Ken Rockwell recommends a Nikon D3500 camera and 70-300 VR AFP.
https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3500.htm
https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-300mm-vr-afp.ht

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Unless one is convinced they are hooked, I too would suggest starting with some used equipment. Cookie has used B&H and their condition ratings are right on. Some of their used gear looks like it's never been out of the box. As a starter lens, I suggest something in the 100- 400 zoom. One gets into cosigner land when going for prime 500+ and if one is serious, he will eventually get there.

Nikon or Canon are the big players with good equipment and service centers.

One might also invest in something like a smallish popup blind wherein one can often end up within just feet of his targets.

Don't know if the Cameraland folks that back this thread do used gear or not, but they're probably a good place to start. They have been good to us with a lot of the new equipment we've purchased.

The real marriage, money, and commitment is with lenses. That's were most of us get pretty well locked into one brand or another.

Here's a link to some of Cookie's recent pics.

Cookie's recent pics.

She is locked into Canon but several of her buddies do Nikon and also get excellent results. Lots of friendly banter when they get together.

Do put some stuff up when you get started.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/24/20.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tag

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Great advice thanks. Also just found the local-ish community college does photography lasses for beginners such as myself so once the covid does it’s thing I may take a course or two as I know nothing lol

GOD Bless America
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not just used, you might want to check refurbish camera's too!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A used canon 7d mk 2 with the canon 100 to 400 lens will get you in the game with good enough equipment to take pro quality photos. Either the version 1 or version 2 of that lens is top quality.
You not only want a good lens, you want a good auto focus system, and the Canon 7 d mk 2 has an excellent system.
Refurb and good used cameras are incredible bargains.
Also, a good place to see what other birders are using (many are using the set up I recommended) is Canon photography on the net. They also have a for sale forum where some decent buys can be had.

Good luck.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Cookie has both version one and version two of the Canon 100-400. I prefer the telescoping version one in that with its additional length I have an easier time with stability while hand holding. I see no difference in image quality between them, and suspect the version 1's can be had for half the price of a 2.

I'd have to go back and look at the originals, but about half the images I posted in the above link were taken with a 100-400.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/27/20.

1Minute
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You might consider a bridge camera like the Sony RX10,

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Considering bird in flight, look for a body with a fast and accurate autofocus/tracking system.
https://www.naturettl.com/best-camera-wildlife-photography/
https://www.birdwatchingdaily.com/p...h-birds/best-cameras-bird-photography/4/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 61 invisible), 3,006 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.