Print Thread
Hop To
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I have been thinking about shipping my 7" barrel Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt off to Bowen for the Perfected Bisley treatment. Cutting the barrel back to 5 1/2 inches and the improved sights may be the major reasons here. Also thinking of the freewheel ratchet conversion. Of course, all of this is not cheap. Has anyone had this work done and if so, did it make a big improvement in the gun? What would you say about the work, i.e. are you a happy camper? Thanks!

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never heard a person complain about Bowen or his work. Or saw what they received wasn't worth the cheque they wrote.

Steve NO has had Bowen do work IIRC and he always struck me as the type not to accept mediocrity.

Me

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you don't get a lot of response here...try the Single Action Forums....lots of Bowen owners over there..

https://singleactions.proboards.com/

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thanks for the tip!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only thing I’ve had that Bowen worked on was a Redhawk. Impeccable!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had Bowen tune up a Blackhawk in 44 magnum. Very happy with the results but this was about 25 years ago. Regrettably sold the darn thing when my eyes starting going downhill.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Back about '03, I took a 5-1/2" Stainless Bisley to him.
Action and trigger tune, oversize base pin, target rear sight, partridge front sight, and a freewheel pawl.

Yes. Yes. You need to do this............

FWIW, I had cylinder and slide open the throats up on mine a smidge, but he is perfectly capable if your gun needs it. Only other thing I wish I would have had him do is work over the forcing cone (not that the gun doesn't shoot great as it is, so I've never bothered sending it to him or anyone else over it), and there's been a few times, playing at longer ranges, that I wish I would have had him put a couple gold bars in the front sight.

I don't know that he's any better than Dave Clements or Alan Harton or any of those guys, but I certainly like what he did to my pistol. He's also a very nice guy.

For years I've tried to justify another project for him, and will someday. Just by looking at his website it is pretty obvious that if you want to go from mild to wild with a Ruger, he will gladly take your money and leave you smiling.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You will not regret it one bit. If you do it and plan on keeping the gun I would suggest having him remove the "engraving" on the cylinder and have him deck the grip frame so you can have a nice set of custom grips added as well. I had the same thing done to an early 41 bisley with the fluted cylinder then alter had John Gallagher fit a long rebored 357 mac cylinder simply so I could shoot the longer heavy cast bullets. I not longer have this gun as a buddy ended up with it but here is what it looks like with the Roy Fishpaw exhibition walnut grips.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
His work as well as a few others is a good as it gets.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Definitely in the master class of revolver 'smiths . Im firmly in the camp saying go for it!

Last edited by marktheshark; 04/24/20.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by EdM

Oh, man! This post is going to cost me a bunch of $$$. See, i've got the super nice custom rifle and the super nice Cooper 22LR and a super nice English 2-1/2" 12 ga.....and now.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

AMERICA !

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of Hamilton's "shop guns". Nothing fancy, just really nice work. When I saw it on his website I had to have it. Had him make an extra cylinder in .256 WinMag. It gets hunted, therefor the red dot. And it has been blooded:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I cannot think of a nicer person to deal with, extremely pleasant, personable, and professional in all conversations I had with him. Helpful to the extreme.

And, as everyone else has said, his shop does excellent, even exquisite, work.

You'll not be disappointed I think.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by EdM

The front sight and muzzle on the Linebaugh is very well done! What are the specifics there? Thanks for posting.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Robb10238
You will not regret it one bit. If you do it and plan on keeping the gun I would suggest having him remove the "engraving" on the cylinder and have him deck the grip frame so you can have a nice set of custom grips added as well. I had the same thing done to an early 41 bisley with the fluted cylinder then alter had John Gallagher fit a long rebored 357 mac cylinder simply so I could shoot the longer heavy cast bullets. I not longer have this gun as a buddy ended up with it but here is what it looks like with the Roy Fishpaw exhibition walnut grips.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Very nice!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have enjoyed six revolvers that Mr. Bowen perfected. These two remain with me as the others were gifted or sold. A .41 and .45 perfected 20 or so years ago.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 40 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.