Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I got this rifle from the classifieds just about a year ago. And I ordered the XS sights probably 10 months ago, but just got around to working with them today.

FWIW the factory irons were ok and the little carbine seemed just fine with them but I didn't much care for the sight picture.

First thing after lunch I drove the front dovetail factory sight out, and pulled the rear scope mount filler screws. Put the receiver sight in place and snugged it down, and then pushed what XS calls a "trial sight" into the front dovetail.
XS sends a machined front sight, but suggests starting with the plastic trial sight to determine best front sight height. The trial sight is segmented and could easily be nipped shorter with side cutters to shorten it. As long as the permanent sight they send is unused/unmarred they will make whatever height sight you need and exchange it if you want to.

With the approx. 3/4" tall (bottom of dove tail to top of sight) trial sight in place I took a shot at a plastic bucket with a half dollar size marker dot on the side. This was offhand at about 25 yards, and I was close enough to dead on that I'd be happy. Except that this trial sight looks to be ridiculously tall.
The permanent sight they sent is approximately 3/16" shorter and would be OK but I wouldn't care to have any taller front sight.

Is there enough adjustment in the rear to use the shorter permanent front sight?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Best way to find out is screw the rear all the way down and take another shot.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tmitch
Best way to find out is screw the rear all the way down and take another shot.

Good advice.

I bottomed the rear sight which took 3 full turns. Lowered the rear sight maybe 1/8" which dropped my POI maybe 1-1.5". Then clipped 2 segments off the trial sight which took POI up 3" or about 1.5" above POA

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Seems that if I had only clipped one segment from the trial sight elevation might have been good, but the sight would still have been much too tall. Ideally the trial sight needs a couple more segments clipped to;
A) Look right
And
B) Not be so long as to be fragile

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Talked to Gary at XS sights this week and he told me that if the little carbine shot best at the highest front sight height then that was the only option for me with their stuff.

With regrets, I uninstalled the XS stuff and re-installed the factory front dovetail. Was concerned that the factory front may be loose after being driven out and back in but it seems solid.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't think you have to worry about fragility of even the tallest XS front sight compared to the shorter factory bead, they're quite a bit heavier. However there's no way around using a taller front sight with the rather high XS peep. You'd have to use a low profile rear like the Ranger Point or Skinner LO-Pro to stay with factory height front.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I have the XS Ghost ring on my 1895 and 1894s and love 'em!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nebraska

How tall is the XS front on your 1894?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Just saw this....haven't measured but its the factory sight (guessing 1/2") from XS and I didn't to shave it

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Skinner sights. Bear buster front sight

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 44 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,463,991
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.