Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Where is a good source for revolver chamber throat gauges? I need a set to measure .357 and .44 cylinder throats. Tried Brownell's, but no luck. I don't want reamers, just the gauges to check. If reaming needs doing, I'll take it to a real gunsmith. I also took a quick look at e-bay, but I don't need a set with a bazillian different sized gauges. Thanks for the help!

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Pin Gauges are what you're looking for, I believe. Here's a thread with some sources that are probably still good.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...hecking-revolver-cylinder-throats-Source

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have a full set and would be happy to send whatever sizes you want. I am in Boerne Texas. Use them and send them back with a $10 bill to cover shipping. PM me if interested.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great gesture by EdM! Pin gages are definitely the way to go. I have Starret small hole gages, but they are a little more finicky/slower to use.

An old coworker uses a different method. He drives soft lead though each chamber, then measures with a micrometer.

And you may already know this, but if the throats are undersized, you'll want them honed and not reamed.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Search "Pin Gage" on Amazon and you'll likely find what you're looking for.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think I would take EdM up on his generous offer. There's some good people on the campfire.
If you were measuring 44 and 45 cylinder throats you can get a general idea using a .30-06 case. Insert it in the cylinder mouth, give it a gentle turn, then measure the shiny ring with calipers. not as accurate as pin gauges, but but will give you a general idea.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Great gesture by EdM! Pin gages are definitely the way to go. I have Starret small hole gages, but they are a little more finicky/slower to use.

An old coworker uses a different method. He drives soft lead though each chamber, then measures with a micrometer.

And you may already know this, but if the throats are undersized, you'll want them honed and not reamed.

You can simply measure the throats with the calipers fir a good ball park number

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I tried the caliper test and also the bullet test with both jacketed and cast bullets. That led me to believe that further and more accurate testing is desired. My initial concern is I am having some leading issues with my .44 using coated cast bullets. I think most of my problem was due to not belling the cases quite enough and maybe scratching the coating when seating the bullets. I increased the bell and this helped, but still have some issue. Running .44 mag coated cast at 1130 FPS and .44 spl at 950 FPS. I also have three .38s and a .357 that I have been running coated cast .38s through. No apparent leading issues with them, but very curious about the chamber throats as well since this has come up with my .44. I have taken EdM up on his very generous offer.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,308
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.