Print Thread
Hop To
T
tscott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
So, after almost 50 years, I have returned to traditional archery. It started 2 months ago, after all those years of compound and many deer kills. I shoot a 40lb recurve, and 50lb long bow. It seems like it is going well... 75 - 100 arrows a day. I am a hunter. 1st shot each day is in kill zone. And, I'd say 90% are there throughout each round. Sometimes I have a real flyer...way off! But of late, I always know why... the usual reasons..... I'm 73, 6'5", 210lbs, with 31" draw. Shoot cheapo Allen, Walmart arrows best so far....
My question / observation: Are all these instructional videos for real, with guys Robin Hooding arrows, shot after shot, real World.? Most of the time I feel I'm on track for Fall. But, realistically, I can't see bullseye every shot in my future! Kill zone yes!I am going to continue to develop my style, and tweek as I feel necessary. Oh, so far I am only shooting 15 and 20 yards. Never shot a deer further than this....

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To be sure, there ARE people who can shoot a gazillion (more or less) bullseyes in a row. But they are the exception and not the rule.

If you're in the kill zone on shot #1 and flinging 100 arrows a day you'll do very well this fall.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The new carbon arrows are a tube, with the nock pushed in.
They are much easier to robin hood (compared to the old swaged end aluminum arrows where the nock glued on).

Which reminds me, to get some Easton Supernocks this week (building new arrows for my 54# Blackwidow HS).

Deer can be jumpy and trad aint fast.
Consequently I limit myself to 25 yards.
Can shoot well farther, but won't on deer.

Did smoke a yote at 42 yards LOL.
I had a range in my back yard to 40.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I find beauty in simplicity. I still shoot my compound, but I love the recurve more and more as time goes by.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My question / observation: Are all these instructional videos for real, with guys Robin Hooding arrows, shot after shot, real World.?

Most Trad guys are not slamming shafts day in and day out, arrow after arrow. Are there a few that are? Yes I know of a few that are. But they are very much the minority.

I guess you can look at this a few different ways also. 1) If the arrow isn't dead center X and you have a robin hood we can pretty much call it luck. 2) shoot enough arrows into a target and sooner or later you are bound to happen upon a robin hood. 3) Robin hoods are easier now as already stated due to the hole in the end of the arrow verses the old cone. 4) we need to look at the distances these groups are being shot at. Pretty much anyone can stack up arrows at 5 to 10 yards. Unless it is 20 yards and beyond its a mute point in my opinion. 5) shooting style, controversial for sure but not all styles are created equal. Not a rabbit hole I want to go down here. If you are shooting archery any type of archery excluding crossbows, I don't personally care what your style is. Just have fun, shoot, and kill animals. But things like string walking is very much so aimimg and as far as I am concerned no different than having a sight on your riser. But it is still archery either ways and I won't knock it.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Geez, if you're watching it on film, they don't show the bad shots :-)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Biebs
Geez, if you're watching it on film, they don't show the bad shots :-)

True that is. Like fishing shows. 30-min show and all they is catch lunkers on the first cast of every new lure they're trying to sell.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Good film on trad archery.
Long but worth it

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I've had over 30 diff recruves, but my main rigs have been Blackwidow since '87 smile

Finally found a FF rated HS w 58" limbs. Took a few years.
I'd like a new PCH but am kinda banged up and don't do 3D anymore.
And I might be screwed with all trad archery soon, so dropping 1100 bucks or so for a possible "wall hanger" seems silly.

I might try ILF again, do a fixed crawl. Still want 58" max.
I draw 28.5 max.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/24/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have an Oneida compound.
So got some 300 spine.

Took my bare shaft test arrow for the Aeroforce, and tried it out of my recurve tonight. 125gr tip, reg alum insert. 30".
Wow, way stiff.
Added 100gr insert. Stiff.
Went 200gr point...........almost there.

But I stopped experimenting as that arrow was pathetically slow. Like the deer could eat an apple and smoke a cigarette and still walk out of the way slow..

Recurve did fine w 340's, 125 gr tip, reg alum insert w 50gr added. But they an inch shorter than the test 300 for the Oneida.

I am still screwed up in my back/shoulders but quit taking the dr recommended OTC arthritis crap.
Stuff I think worked for a while but then made things worse.

Only shot maybe two doz arrows from 54# recurve. Felt OK.

So I gotta refletch my 340's (to a better color combo- had to use what was avail last yr- ugh).
Get another backup tab, and some new 50 gr weights.

Gave some to a bud and am low.

Am back to my old anchor and it just feels better, comes off cleaner I think.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.