Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The 1100 does throw the hulls 8-10" but doesn't scatter them that bad. Dove hunting I find most of them. Squirrel hunting, only a few; generally I don't worry about it. This one has a field type finish, not the highly polished Sporting Clays finish. I kinda like the dull finish.

The Ithaca throws them straight down and forward. Both handle very well.

DF

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

The 1100 does throw the hulls 8-10" but doesn't scatter them that bad. Dove hunting I find most of them. Squirrel hunting, only a few; generally I don't worry about it. This one has a field type finish, not the highly polished Sporting Clays finish. I kinda like the dull finish.

DF

Nice Ithaca!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

DF

Nice Ithaca!!!

Thanks, It has some nice wood for a std. gun. I fitted a thinner pad, seems to handle better at least for me. I'm not too crazy about the big pistol grip, but it handles better than it looks.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
They did a nice job, overall. Checkered forearm was well done. I think the Ohio guns are about as good as any Ithaca, better than some.

DF

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Dirtfarmer......how would the Ithaca handle with a straight English stock instead of the pistol grip ?

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Only own one but surely one of my favorites. A Savage Milano that I picked up off GB for a pretty reasonable price. Dave

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by mudstud

Beretta 687 Gold Pigeon II Sporting two barrel set 30" bbls in 28 and 410. Love that gun!

I'm shocked to see someone else with one of these. I don't think they made many. The most expensive gun I've ever bought (though that doesn't add or subtract from my enjoyment), and not only my favorite 28 gauge but one of my favorite firearms ever. I bought it after a windfall and even then, it was painful at the time, but I haven't regretted it, which I can't say for many other firearm purchases.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TraderVic
Dirtfarmer......how would the Ithaca handle with a straight English stock instead of the pistol grip ?

I had considered getting the English, straight grip. It would for sure look better. But, this one handles a lot better than it looks.

DF

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Interesting, you and Battue have said the same thing about your Ithaca 28's regarding the more pronounced pistol grip.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It handles fine, however it would handle just as well with a better looking Prince of Wales grip. Why they went with this style remains odd.

I am considering having an acquaintance carve me out another with a POW and a nicer piece of wood. Normally I wouldn’t even consider changing it, but I have come to really like this 37.

Last edited by battue; 04/27/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by battue
It handles fine, however it would handle just as well with a better looking Prince of Wales grip. Why they went with this style remains odd.

I am considering having an acquaintance carve me out another with a POW and a nicer piece of wood. Normally I wouldn’t even consider changing it, but I have come to really like this 37.

A nice POW grip would be about perfect, IMO. That big ole grip is pretty ugly, no doubt.

Ohio gun quality is really good. Lots of CNC machinery. Seem I remember something about their wood being manufactured by an outside contractor. Not sure of the details on that.

DF

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Agreed, a POW grip seems to more naturally fit the lines of this small frame shotgun. This is why I asked about an English stock as they do offer this option.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agreed, a POW grip seems to more naturally fit the lines of this small frame shotgun. This is why I asked about an English stock as they do offer this option.

They did offer it at one time, but I don't see it now.

Seems like when I ordered mine, it was offered but not as readily available. I'm trying to remember, because the English stock would have looked better.

Had to have been a compelling reason.

DF

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

They did offer it at one time, but I don't see it now.

Seems like when I ordered mine, it was offered but not as readily available. I'm trying to remember, because the English stock would have looked better.

Had to have been a compelling reason.

DF

Yep, actually talked to a sales guy at Ithaca several months ago about an English stock on the Model 37, 28 ga. I stated I had noticed this option in their shotgun specs that one can download from their website. The guy acted like it was a PIA and maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't. Since I wasn't serious about ordering I didn't push him on it.

They are closed at this time and msybe they will open again as Ohio is supposed to start opening again May 1st.
If they do open, I will call them again or perhaps work through a dealer......and press them on ordering an English stock on the 28.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That sounds familiar.

Let me know what you find out.

DF

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
That sounds familiar.

Let me know what you find out.

DF

I will do that.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Those are some really nice scatterguns. I enjoy the pictures and all the knowledge without a doubt. I think something with the straight stock is in order once I sell thos beretta!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remington 1100 Sporting Clays Model. It’s deadly on dove and quail.

If I was to ever buy another 28 ga automatic, it would definitely be the Benelli Ultralight.

Exactly my thought.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

If I was to ever buy another 28 ga automatic, it would definitely be the Benelli Ultralight.

Exactly my thought.

The Benelli would be nice, but a Remington 1100 is still an 1100,. For a cheaper 28, I like my Turkish Mossberg. Heavy trigger, which can be fixed, but nice, light, properly-sized gun. A few steps or maybe half the track ahead of an 1100 in my opinion. I think I paid less than $500 for mine, which is an added bonus

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Exactly my thought.

The Benelli would be nice, but a Remington 1100 is still an 1100,. For a cheaper 28, I like my Turkish Mossberg. Heavy trigger, which can be fixed, but nice, light, properly-sized gun. A few steps or maybe half the track ahead of an 1100 in my opinion. I think I paid less than $500 for mine, which is an added bonus

Hunting bud got a 28 ga. Turkish “Benelli” and likes it. Forget what name brand they stamped on it. Light, handy gun. Deadly on doves, but he’s a pretty good shot. Gun does its part.

DF

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (257 roberts, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.