Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Same here, chests work for me.
Top baskets are key, use out of the sorted baskets and restock them from below....
They burn up more space due to larger foot print but they don't let all the cold out every time you open them.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 9 CU ft Kenmore which I bought in 1985 - still running. Only time down was the trip from San Diego to CO, about 5 days. Also have Kenmore 14 CU ft which I bought about 8 years ago which has run with no problems.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BamBam
Originally Posted by mbhunt
Chest freezers are a pain in the a$$. Get an upright, you'll be glad you did.

This, I have both, and I highly recommend a standup freezer. Even if it’s a smaller upright, get two.I am sick of digging deep into my chest freezer!

Yes, this. I can't fault my chest freezer's longevity (made in Australia 20-odd years ago) but it is a PITA to dig down into it to find stuff. Even more of a pain to reassemble the 3D jigsaw puzzle to put everything back when it is full. An upright is just so much more convenient.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by persiandog
went to home depot to buy a chest freezer , the GE 7.0 CU ft looks good and reasonable price ($289) , but the reviews are terrible.
do you have a recommendation?

What are the complaints on the reviews? Was it too deep to reach the bottom? Not enough baskets? Or was that it didn't work? People complain about their own decisions. Getting a bad freezer is a rarity. Liking the way it works is subjective.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Check out Costco....or costco online !

A im Far !
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given the move from Freon freezer/refrigerators are not what they used to be. Have both, but prefer the huge chest freezer for volume, and nothing falls out.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by persiandog
went to home depot to buy a chest freezer , the GE 7.0 CU ft looks good and reasonable price ($289) , but the reviews are terrible.
do you have a recommendation?

What are the complaints on the reviews? Was it too deep to reach the bottom? Not enough baskets? Or was that it didn't work? People complain about their own decisions. Getting a bad freezer is a rarity. Liking the way it works is subjective.

Most of the complains are similar to :

This product works great for 15 months! Then you wake up to a puddle with a smell that redefines what a bad smell is. Thankfully I had gotten scammed by purchasing the 5 year Home Depot Protection Plan.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mbhunt
Chest freezers are a pain in the a$$. Get an upright, you'll be glad you did.

+ 10, ABSOFREAKINLUTELY

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Upright for the WIN!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have had a chest type Kenmore for more than 40 years. 24 cu ft. Still running fine.If you are serous about storing food and a lot of it, the uprights are the pits. Mine typically has at least one elk, a deer and pronghorn, plus fresh vegetables . It got crowded one year when I added a moose and an extra pronghorn.

We also have a small 7 cu ft one beside it for incidentals. If you get a non frost free, you will have less freeze burn and can store food longer.One secret to longevity is not to keep opening hem all the time.Take what you need for a week and put it in your refrigerator freezer. We keep things divided by type in the large Zip Lock bags after it is wrapped in freezer paper.It is easy to move around like that. One end is for steaks,then a column of ground meat.Next a column of chicken and pork, then vegetables. If a person is half way organized, you never go digging thru everything to find one item. Once a year when I have fresh meat, I take everything out and repack it with the fresh on the bottom.

If you get an up right and really pack it things have a habit of falling out when you open the door.I have had a few up rights when I had my big chest type filled and needed more. I found they don't last as long as a chest

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I just search the classifieds and such for vintage. Find one from a little old lady that she's had for decades and it will do you fine. Our current upright is a Kelvinator and it does amazingly well. I am on the search for a decent chest to compliment it.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My answer isn't going to help the OP, but we have one that we got from my parents that they bought in the late 60's, early 70's. The brand on it is Gambles, which was a regional chain that went defunct in 1984. I know that we had that freezer when we moved from Rochester, MN to Fargo in 72. That freezer has been moved several times and resided in unheated garages and basements. Since we are in North Dakota, I am hoping that if and when it dies, it does so sometime between November and March. Will be less inconveient that way.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
One of each works well move from the chest to the upright as needed plus you have the top layer/baskets in the chest.One thing you can get a lot more in a chest compared to a upright.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
They make canvas freezer bags (similar to the plastic ones sold in stores, but half again as big) that have two heavy handles on top that will hold 50 pounds, or about 1-1/2 cu. ft. to keep items sorted. Handles are large strips of folded canvas that run all the way down the side under the bottom and up the other side and sewn on. Usually sold by the dozen. They work great, and makes it easy to pick items out of the bottom of chest type freezers. I have 10 of them along the bottom level of mine.

Phil

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Greyghost
They make canvas freezer bags (similar to the plastic ones sold in stores, but half again as big) that have two heavy handles on top that will hold 50 pounds, or about 1-1/2 cu. ft. to keep items sorted. Handles are large strips of folded canvas that run all the way down the side under the bottom and up the other side and sewn on. Usually sold by the dozen. They work great, and makes it easy to pick items out of the bottom of chest type freezers. I have 10 of them along the bottom level of mine.

Phil

I do the same thing.It really helps keeping the like items all together in separate bags.Sure beats the hell out of having a bunch of loose stuff scattered all over.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two chest freezers in my unattached garage full of meat. One is as old as me and the other is 4-5 years old. I will say the little LED light on the new one is a nice feature to make sure things are running. I've had two meltdowns over the years because of power issues. I glance at the little green light every night as I walk by on my way to the house in the evening.

Stuff does get lost in the bottom of the chest freezers but I eat well over 1# of meat every single day myself so we turn it over frequently. One was getting some free space so I just added an entire processed hog to it last week. No meat shortages for us.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (1OntarioJim, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 25 invisible), 1,734 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.