Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14822974 04/26/20
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Various references to this non toxic shot have caught my interest in how well it patterns as well as possibly extending the effective range (not sure if this is the best or proper way to express this feature).
I looked online at MidwayUSA and see a 25 count box averages $1.30 / each +/- (per shot shell) or ~ $33-35/box.
I would appreciate hearing more about actual field hunting experiences using these loads, any and all gauges/bores.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Expensive, but it works better than any other shot material I am aware of. My experience is with coyote hunting. Using #2 TSS puts about 92 pellets in the pattern which is far better than the old standby Number Four Buck 3" load of 41 pellets. And the TSS patterns tighter, penetrates better and breaks bone better than lead shot. It is a big win, other than cost.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it is really $1.30/25 that sounds like a real deal. Usually it Is $30+/5. Other than coyote hunting where a pelt is worth $50.+ I can't see the value in it. An ounce of Bismuth #5's, Lead 6's or steel 4's kill just about all the game I can eat.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Turkey loads were about $40 for a box of 5. I'll have to check the cost again.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The advantage of TSS is how heavy the shot is...TSS 9's penetrate like lead 5 ' or 6s.....Then you up the pellet count....

1oz TSS 9's have approximately 360 pellets

1 1/8 8ounce of lead 5's and 6's will be approx 190 and 250

TSS shines most in the smaller gauges....You go down in shot charge and still have as many or more pellets as 1 1/8oz of 12 gauge 5's and 6's along with equal penetration....Turns a lightweight 28 gauge into the equivalent of a 12Gauge....

Last edited by battue; 04/26/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Better have a good dentist running 9’s. Just sayin

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by passport
Better have a good dentist running 9’s. Just sayin

Duly noted and worth repeating.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
At $8 per shell, I'll keep shooting my 1 7/8oz. reloads of Nickle plated 5.5's at turkeys. Every turkey I've killed out to 55yds has been DRT and it costs me less than $1 to load myself.

I get that it's heavier than lead and you can up your pellet count, but I like to get them as close as I can, that's most of the fun of turkey callin! I just don't think the price is worth it!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I 'll stay with using Winchester "long Beard" turkey loads. I guess I was mainly inquiring about TSS hunting loads for upland hunting. As already mentioned, I did check at Midway USA and saw a box of 25 TSS loads for around $34-35 or about $1.35 ea.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shotgun shells are one of the cheapest things about turkey hunting, I've never understood why people get so hung up on a nice box of shells.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GuideGun
Shotgun shells are one of the cheapest things about turkey hunting, I've never understood why people get so hung up on a nice box of shells.

Yes... and no. Unless you plan on using a micro gauge or trying for a distance record you simply don't need $5 a pop TSS shells for turkey hunting.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven’t done much turkey hunting. Nothing against it, just not a lot of opportunity I guess.

But with Cali going lead-free, I thought I’d try options besides steel for my upland hunting, especially our local %|*|*|€~*}, I mean valley quail.

I found a niche for a 5-pound 28 ga real fast using handloaded TSS for these little b@$trds.

Yep, they are much more expensive, even handloaded, but I get to carry a much lighter AND more lethal gun as a welcome side benefit, so ...

This fall will be my second season, so I am still making adjustments, but I have no intention of going to steel.

Last edited by RickBin; 04/28/20.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Figure $8/shell and figure 2 spring gobbler tags a year. A box of 5 shells will last 2.5 years assuming no misses at birds. So $16/yr for shells is probably much cheaper than tags, fuel, camo, calls, vests, etc. At a $5/shell pricing it becomes even more insignificant to the overall hunt.

I'd rather shoot a $150 single shot with a $100 choke and TSS than a $1000 shotgun with a $20 choke and lead/HTL.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GuideGun,
The real cost there would be the patterning the gun with various chokes and at various ranges. Been there with my Benelli M1 turkey/coyote gun. Once you get over that hump, it's not too bad for turkey hunting. I shoot quite a few shells while predator hunting over a long winter. Rick shooting at those #1@√¥¶£ quail probably shoots quite a bit (nothing implied about your wingshooting prowess Rick). Turkey hunting would be very inexpensive compared to those two situations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never carried a shotgun for predators, but have always wanted to try. I have read that a 3" copper plated BB load is about perfect. I picked up a box of Winchester Super XX 3" copper plated BB a long time ago. I have been cleaning up the gun room and found i must have shot 7-8 of thd shells. I don't remember ever firing them.

I thought I would look for another box, but they must not be made anymore. I have not found a manufacturer that makes an equivalent load. So I had reconciled myself to using copper or nickel plated #4 buck when I run out of the BB.

I'll try to locate #2 TSS that MOGC uses. Other than price, seems like a good thing.

Last edited by AB2506; 04/29/20.
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
So. Where are some good online sources for various shotgun ammunition, especially TSS shells ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
APEX...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
CAC associates is close by me, has good pricing and they will ship for a reasonable price on larger orders...

https://cacassociatesinc.com/collections/shotgun-shells

Bought TSS from the above mentioned Apex....

https://apex-ammunition.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage

I go thru 25 to 40 flats a year of 12 Gauge for Sporting Clays and perhaps 40 TSS shells for the uplands....As a friend says about hunting and shooting costs: shooting, rifles, shotguns, ammo, clothing, travel, and all the other expenses... . those 40 TSS shells amount to little more than another bag on the Queen Mary....good chance it won't cause her to sink....

Patterning is for POI....After that the pattern has little to do with missing.....however, most will not buy into the fact....I will add the people I know who shoot more than a little, pattern only for impact and worry not about how many pellets are in the circle......

Last edited by battue; 04/29/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by erich
If it is really $1.30/25 that sounds like a real deal. Usually it Is $30+/5. Other than coyote hunting where a pelt is worth $50.+ I can't see the value in it. An ounce of Bismuth #5's, Lead 6's or steel 4's kill just about all the game I can eat.

This... i have no interest in shooting a turkey further than 45 yards, even though my setup will stone them at 60. The name of the game is get them close.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Battue, do you turkey or predator hunt with shotguns?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
514 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 51 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.