Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Some of the older generation seems to want it. The younger generation doesn't, as far as I have seen. One asked me " How do you re-patriot brain-washed zombies?"

THAT, my friend, is a GREAT question for THIS country.

Indeed...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
AussieLad: That is a great question - I do not have a solid opinion but would tend to lean towards "re-unification" even if other countries had to "chip-in" huge amounts of cash to keep the North Koreans from immediately "leaving home" and heading south to an immediate taste of freedom and capitalism.
Hungry people are VERY motivated.
I still want to know if kim jong un is alive or dead - media blackout on this topic - I don't know why?
Hope all is well "down-under".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The olderest generation still has friends and family across the DMZ. The younger ones don't know their northern families and have no friends up there. All they know is that they will likely be taxed out of existence trying to pay for them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
All is going well here in Oz, thanks VarmintGuy.

I can see a lot of desire to reunify, and appreciate the magnitude of a moment like that, SHOULD it occur, given the historical context of the peninsula.

I also could see a global financial support being a likely consideration, again IF reunification was to miraculously occur given all likely barriers that would just as assuredly prevent it.

Part of me wonders though, that with the COVID19 outbreak, lots of countries econonies have taken a pounding, and even foreign aid might be hard to come by as countries are busy propping up their own damaged industries.

Perhaps the timing of the possible loss of NK's leadership isn't conducive to it happening, but ironically, the viral outbreak that is creating global financial pressures, MAY also be a contributing factor to the demise of said leadership.

I watch with great interest.

Thanks all for the responses, certainly food for thought from both sides of the coin.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Would you double the size of your country if you could?

Keep in mind the expansion will be covered by other countries.

Yes, South Korea will absorb North Korea. There would be no reason not to.

I question that...China won't allow it...

Doubt if they want South Korean freedoms right on their border...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Simple....cheap labor...
Walmart will be full of made in North Korea crap...bank on it...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think the south would want to reunify. It's the chinese and the entrenched corrupt communist upper class of the north that would oppose it. Corrupt communist know that life would be much harder for them in a free and open society. China wouldn't want South Korea having the ability to grow their industrial base the way they could and would need to.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Norks will do whatever China wants or allows them to do

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How could SK afford to integrate 25 million impoverished, uneducated people? It would bankrupt them. NK people have lived under a long string of tyrants. They have no idea what freedom means.

Just like the West Germans did with the East Germans. Within 20 years most people would forget they were ever separate nations.

I have some Zeiss Classic 8x30 Binocs that say, "Made in West Germany". Every once and a while when I pick them up I'm reminded of the "West" part of that country of origin labeling.

I had some minor dealings with a young east German fellow last year at work...he was a full blown commie piece of fucking filth. One of a very few people I would gladly watch being shot in the back of the head.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The key to power is the military. To rule N Korea you need the backing of the military wether by compromising the military leaders or purging your supporters to the top. What was it Mao said? Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. That's what to watch, could be interesting.

North Korea is one big pain in the ass to China. Reunification would relieve them of the burden of supporting the North, both economically and politically. And possibly give them entree to the South through their sympathizers in the North.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How could SK afford to integrate 25 million impoverished, uneducated people? It would bankrupt them. NK people have lived under a long string of tyrants. They have no idea what freedom means.

Just like the West Germans did with the East Germans. Within 20 years most people would forget they were ever separate nations.

And they elect a Communist like Angela Merkel to lead their unified country.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I would say that under any other circumstances reunification would save SK a huge amount on defense, but in this case I think it would just move the heavily defended border north by a few hundred miles. I will say it would change the game for China, they would loose there buffer and have the ROK army on their border. My experience is somewhat dated (1980s) but the ROK army was a serious force in those days.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (6mmbrfan, 2500HD, 14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.