Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Anyone between Lexington and Cincinnati getting any action on farm pond bluegill? Had grand daughter out with a cane pole for about an hour this afternoon. ZERO hits or bites. Bobber never moved unless she moved the pole...

Still too early? Water too cold? ???

GB2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Next week I'm trying to get out to Benjy Kinman Lake in Henry County with my canoe to see what's biting. I've been holding off 'cause of the rain and frosts. In any event it will be good exercise.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We have our own lake and it has a healthy population of bluegills. I think the water temperature has dropped pretty significantly the last few days as the fish seem very lethargic. This afternoon was the first they came up to eat fish food in the last 3 days and they were in slow motion mode while eating.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wish you were closer, we’d take you with us. Our water temps are up and it’s no problem to catch 10 or 15 in about as many minutes. We’ve been catching a bucket full for catfish bait in the evenings

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
WW, Good luck with your outing.

Snowwolfe, I did not check water temp. But was thinking the same thing. We have had several COLD rains past couple weeks, and while sunny, temps have barely made it to 60*F.

Kid, Appreciate the offer. We have our own pond here on the farm that is normally overrun with bluegill. How much further south from Lexington are you? At this point, I am thumbnailing at least another two weeks before the fish get active.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
FWIW, I was on Cave Run yesterday and the water was 55*. Idk anything about catching bluegill but I did expect warmer temps. There was not any baitfish in the backs of the creeks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m west and a little South of you. We’ve been catching quite a few crappie with a few nice bluegill mixed in for about three weeks. A fifty acre deep lake and mostly using jigs for crappie. Bluegill probably would be biting better on a different bait.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I will try to get out again when the rain stops and see what happens... Will report back !

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Going to be cold this weekend, might shut the bite down...

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I was out yesterday for a couple of hours. No luck for me. Several other boats told me the same thing. We shall see what next week brings.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I caught a Bluegill last nite around 7PM in the in-laws lake. Used a Crappie jig...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The bite finally has begun. All of these were caught inside 3 feet from the bank. Vacuum sealed and put in the freezer for rockfish/catfish trips.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some fatty’s there! I can smell the hot oil and cheap beer.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Great pictures woodson! That's what I'm after my next trip out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now that you mention it, the Mooselette and I were out at the pond on Saturday and got no bluegill action. I got a near-legal bass on the first cast, but the rest was a strict nogo. Normally that pond is really popping this time of year.

So yes! To answer your question, you're not alone in this.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Raining today. Gonna give it another try tomorrow afternoon. Supposed to be sunny, rising temp, rising barometer, and solunar tables say 3pm to 5pm... smile

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
An hour at the pond this evening. 4 small (2"-3" blue gill). A few rises. Still not much action. And COLD... Sun was out. Beautiful evening. But cool wind...

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Last nights freeze has hit my trees pretty hard, I hope they can rebud for a third time. The Oaks and Tulip trees are getting clobbered, the Maples are ok, the Ash well they are dead of course and nothing it seems can kill a Honey Locust. I'm going fishing again this coming week again if the evenings warm up.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I hear ya on the trees. I planted a bunch of persimmon, beech and maple this year. I’m hoping they survive this last cold snap. The maple is doing well, beech not so much, iffy on the persimmon.

I’m going to check out a few new to me boat ramps tomorrow, maybe throw a line in here or there. Might try to call up a late morning turkey as well if it warms up like they are saying.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not to derail the OP’s thread but I never invested in a nice “ultra lite” setup. I absolutely can not recommend anything more than the St.croix panfish rod 7’ lite, extra fast/Daiwa BG 1500.

Again sorry, but damn, that setup is super fun for “just” panfishing.

Last edited by woodson; 05/10/20.
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by woodson

Looking good! I'd be happy with that catch...

Not to derail the OP’s thread but I never invested in a nice “ultra lite” setup. I absolutely can not recommend anything more than the St.croix panfish rod 7’ lite, extra fast/Daiwa BG 1500.

In re: Ultralight 7' rod... I started the grand daughter off with a 12' or 13' fiberglass cane pole for basics. But no bites. Finally went with a 5' light/ultra light spinning set up to be able to cast a little further. Yes, a palm sized blue gill on light tackle is fun !

Fish still very sluggish here. Weather is supposed to warm up by the end of this week. Hopefully the fish will wake up in the next week or so...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have two of those St. Croix Panfish Series rods. Both have Pflueger President XT reels. One is the 6' 8" Ultralite and the other the 7 ' Lite. My favorite is the 7' Lite. It cast little jigs a mile if necessary, is sensitive for light bites and has a beautiful parabolic bend with backbone when fighting an oversize panfish or smallish sized rainbow trout or smallmouth bass in the current on a river.

Bluegill here in my part of the Ozark's haven't gotten going yet. My wife loves to bluegill fish and I keep a close eye on when the bedding activities begin. The grandkids are big enough to take in the boat with us now and they both love to fish. There's nothing better than a kid on a active bluegill bed!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
733 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 75 invisible), 2,972 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.