Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello all,

So I have been reading here and elsewhere from people in the know (or having been told by their gunsmiths etc) that the new Remington 700 actions made in the Huntsville, Alabama plant are made on new CNC machinery. Consequently they are a lot more true than their NY counterparts were.

Is there an easy way to know if one is buying the newer rifles? Serial number, date on the box, etc? I had seen on Google that the place opened in 2017 or so, forgot exactly which.

In the market for a 700 and would if at all possible like to have one of these.

Thanks!

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
BP-B6

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't know how to tell, but I can tell you that the last several 700 rifles I have worked with (over the last 4 years or so) have been way better than some of the so called "good ones" from the 80's.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pullit
Don't know how to tell, but I can tell you that the last several 700 rifles I have worked with (over the last 4 years or so) have been way better than some of the so called "good ones" from the 80's.

That bodes well at least! Thank you. Happy to hear it.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I bought one of the 700 Package Rifles (https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-adl-stainless-synthetic-scope) last February. I haven't shot it much, but a couple of cheap 150-grain factory loads are sub-MOA with velocities over 2,800 fps, so I'm happy with it thus far.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by okie john
I bought one of the 700 Package Rifles (https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-adl-stainless-synthetic-scope) last February. I haven't shot it much, but a couple of cheap 150-grain factory loads are sub-MOA with velocities over 2,800 fps, so I'm happy with it thus far.

Okie John

Very cool and again, good to hear!

May pick up the same package in blued and have it cerakoted. They're a slim, trim little rifle!

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If I were interested in a Remington I'd look hard at Bergara. They are a Remington clone made in Lawrenceville GA. They even use the same scope mounts, but with several improvements over the 700. Remington has certainly had their ups and downs, but I think the Bergara is a better rifle than the 700 at its best.

If you want walnut/blue I think this is a much better looking rifle than any 700.

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/b14/woodsman-rifle/

Or if you want a more practical synthetic stock. This is their lighter weight version with a #4 barrel contour

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/b14/hunter-rifle/

Or basically the same thing with a heavier #5 barrel contour that is threaded for a suppressor.

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/b14/ridge-rifle/

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
JMR40,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've had a Bergara actually. A Hunter. If they are made over there in Georgia now though, that is pretty cool.

They sure do have good barrels and they shot great. Smooth action and the triggers spoiled me. But the cheap MIM/cast or what have you bolt shrouds breaking and the threads shearing off on the 6.5CM models kinda gave me pause.

On a rifle that costs double what the 700 does up here in crazy Canuckistani prices, I wasn't too sold on that.

I know...talkin about buying a rifle with a handle thats brazed on here too...But otherwise I hear you. It was like a boutique, small batch, single malt Rem 700.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Igloo; 04/28/20.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take it to a restaurant. If it orders sweet tea it was made in the south. If it bitches and complains, it’s a Yankee rifle.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by 16bore
Take it to a restaurant. If it orders sweet tea it was made in the south. If it bitches and complains, it’s a Yankee rifle.

Good to me.........

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wrong. If from the South it would just order tea, as "sweet tea" is all there is.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since they are now being made in a plant in Alabama are we going to have to start calling them roffles instead of rifles?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Igloo
JMR40,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've had a Bergara actually. A Hunter. If they are made over there in Georgia now though, that is pretty cool.

They sure do have good barrels and they shot great. Smooth action and the triggers spoiled me. But the cheap MIM/cast or what have you bolt shrouds breaking and the threads shearing off on the 6.5CM models kinda gave me pause.

On a rifle that costs double what the 700 does up here in crazy Canuckistani prices, I wasn't too sold on that.

I know...talkin about buying a rifle with a handle thats brazed on here too...But otherwise I hear you. It was like a boutique, small batch, single malt Rem 700.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Don't think these rifles (Bergara) are made in Georgia..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ll know some of their line is now produced in Huntsville, but I did not know that 700 production moved. Does anyone have a Huntsville, AL stamped 700?

-JW
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The CNC receivers have the RR serial number. The ones that I've had in the lathe are very straight. A lot of them had the bolt handle mistimed and hard extraction. I've had to send the bolts to Dans40X to be located correctly, timed, and tig welded. I'm starting a 308 with an Obermeyer 11.25 twist barrel. Believe it or not, this is my first 308.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What chamber will you use Butch? A SAAMI 308 has a lot of slop.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My Remington 1911 has Alabama markings. I don’t know about rifles.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Bergara makes their production rifles in Spain and their limited production/custom rifles in Georgia- I’ve toured that facility. They also make barrels for a surprising number of manufacturers. Great rifles as are the recent production Remingtons I’ve used.

Last edited by Woodhits; 04/29/20. Reason: Spelling
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Phenotypically - missing and/or buck teeth, a ratty hat with a cursed red “A”, and an absent minded expression. If you poke one of them with a stick, they shout “Roll Tide” without any prompting other than the initial poke.

Wait, were you asking what an Alabaman looks like?

😆

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Waiting on JCMCUBIC for response.....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
That's not an accurate picture. Some versions may be seen wearing Navy/Orange and yellin' "War Chicken".

Either version is quite unconcerned with anything Big Aurenge related to the only college sport there is...no idjet, nascar ain't college....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
737 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 85 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.