Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by MOGC
Permethrin is applied to the clothing before venturing forth into tick territory. Not to the tick itself. DEET isn't a great repellent, but properly applied Permethrin works very well.

There is an apocryphal tale where the safari client didn't read the directions and applied the Permethrin directly to his skin upon arrival in camp instead of to his clothing. Spent the next few days in his bunk bemoaning his fate instead of hunting.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by longarm
No one is safe...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That'll teach you to skip flossing.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
Here in Central NYS ticks and Lyme are way too common.

The interesting thing is now we know Lyme goes way back clear to the Colonial era, there’s a theory that a classic Lyme circular rash was taken as a mark of a witch during the Salem witch trials.

Four years back I when I was there I was surprised to find that Lyme disease is now a big concern in the UK.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i carry clear finger nail polish with me . one of the little bassterds put me in the hosp. for 5 days .when i pulled it off i mashed its guts in my thigh .had to get cut open to get the infection out . it sucked . i hate TICKS

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What I have read, is the greatest purveyor of ticks is mice. So, you save the cardboard tubes from you toilet paper and paper towels. Then you go to the craft store and get a bag of pillow stuffing. Treat the pillow stuffing with Permethrin. Put a small bunch in the tube and leave them outside so mice will grab some and take it to their dens.

“Lighten up Francis”
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Found my first one of the year on me yesterday. It was still mobile tho.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took a short walk to the pond yesterday, pulled two mobile ticks off while there and then found another one crawling on my leg when I got back. This morning I found one crawling up my leg before jumping in the shower. Thankfully Lyme disease is extremely rare here.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The farm use concentrate is NOT designed for application to clothing.

Contains ingredients to make it more effective in stables, barns, chicken coops and outhouses and on livestock, etc.

Any error in mixing CAN end up poisoning you!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 44mc
i carry clear finger nail polish with me . one of the little bassterds put me in the hosp. for 5 days .when i pulled it off i mashed its guts in my thigh .had to get cut open to get the infection out . it sucked . i hate TICKS

Wouldn't recommend "smashing" any tick...especially on your body or clothing. Those guts and the tick's feces can be highly infective.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Met with a trim carpenter at job site this morning, while talking with him I felt something crawling on the back of my neck. Yep, another dam tick.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by micky
What I have read, is the greatest purveyor of ticks is mice. So, you save the cardboard tubes from you toilet paper and paper towels. Then you go to the craft store and get a bag of pillow stuffing. Treat the pillow stuffing with Permethrin. Put a small bunch in the tube and leave them outside so mice will grab some and take it to their dens.

+1. We do this on property we hunt but we use cotton balls instead of pillow stuffing. Treats nice, squirrels, birds...anything that will make a nest with it. Order the permethrin in concentrate (permethrin sfr) and mix it yourself it will save a bunch over premixed. Good results as tick numbers have dropped!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Deerstalker: I do NOT know what makes some years worse for ticks than others.
I went on my first Spring Bear Hunt yesterday and had my tick "spray" along and sprayed my pant legs - I don't like ticks and don't care if I give a Bear something extra to smell!
I have had many ticks embed themselves into me on Rock Chuck Hunts, spring fishing trips, Spring Bear Hunts and a couple of fall Hunts as well.
One Thnaksgiving dinner I had to excuse myself from a large family get together at my Mothers home because a Tick had embedded itself in my ass crack and I noticed it literally at the dinner table!
It gets worse - I had just returned home from a Deer and Elk Hunt in Montana and I was living in Bellevue, Washington at the time. I went to the Bellevue Hospital (Overlake) and thought it would be simple for them to remove said Tick so I could get back to my family function?
Nope I became the "hit" of the Emergency Room as no one there had every seen (let alone removed!) a swollen Tick from a person.
E.R. Doctor did ask for permission to "give a lesson" in Tick removal and at least 8 "helpers" nurses and other Doctors came and watched the Doctor remove said Tick from my ass crack!
I was "sweating" from embarrassment!
Anyway after a couple of hours I was let go and NO aftereffects from that Tick embedment.
Sadly I had previously incurred both Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Lyme's Disease from bites.
I was nearly blinded in one eye due to the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever - Tick and Flea bites are nothing to be sneezed at!
Both Lyme's Disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever can have long lasting or later in life effects - especially on "joints".
On a spring overnight fishing and Canoe trip down eastern Washingtons Winchester Wasteway I removed 24 (twenty four!) Ticks from my clothing and crawling on my skin at the campfire that late afternoon.
For "freshly" embedded Ticks (into the skin and having been done that day!) I use gun oil slowly dripped onto the Ticks anus (once their head is embedded into you they breath through their anus!) and after about two minutes of oil dripping slowly onto them they "back out".
It seems to me after a couple days embedded in human flesh they don't respond (back out) to the gun oil (3 in 1 Oil, Break-Free etc) treatment.
The VarmintWife is exceptionally disgusted by, and wary of, Ticks and has reactions similar to yours - I view them as a nuisance that can be VERY harmful!
Use Flea and Tick spray on your lower garments - it works.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Checking each other for ticks is also known as redneck foreplay. Try it next time you and your honey have spent the day outdoors. It works.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Quak
You boys wouldn’t make it up here. Betcha I pulled 60+ off myself last year alone

We just lost the snow but we will be thick with them soon

Yep I really hate them too; especially when I take my little princess (12 yo) backpacking. She and I are doing the Pictured Rocks Nat’l Lakeshore Trail in early June I’m sure the ticks will be out in force plus maybe the black flies.

That red bullseye is the kiss of death to me. I know it’s treatable but we had a lovely lady in our church who died of Lyme and it was UGLY.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Buddy pulled a tick off his dog and put it under the microscope..
Coitus Interruptus!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The one i found crawling up my leg almost got a 45 cal 185 bullet . The wife convinced me that might not be the way to take care of it. So i told her to get me the 45-70.
It actually got the fiery furnace treatment. Even smiled when it squeaked and popped!
Filthy things

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I put out about3 dollars worth of tick granules today. Will finish the rest of the yard tomorrow. I won't get a tick on me this summer in my yard. Gets rid of ants coming in the house too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife checked our dog tonight, 24 ticks.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 19rabbit52, 72 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.