Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I’m taking my daughter on a week long backpacking trip in early June and wanting to carry my 1911 Commander. Wondering if there is a good holster y’all could suggest

I’m right handed and was thinking of a cross-draw arrangement that works with backpack straps.

Any suggestions would be welcome thanks so much!

BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have one of these that I use when carrying a backpack. Great product made by good people.
Patrick
https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hill People Gear Kit Bag chest rig.

Have two, love them and better than a cross draw in the woods, in my opinion.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If the above options don't work for you take a look at these: https://talonretention.com/Store/tabid/4232/Default.aspx#!/Delta-Series-Holster/p/90549660/category=24608544

I use this holster for my G20 set up in cross draw configuration. I added another hole in the blank space between the existing holes(centered) and drilled one of the loops in the appropriate spot which allowed the belt loops to be arranged in a cross draw. I use a standard belt on my pants/shorts while hiking and the back pack waste band fits below/under/behind? the holster when I pull my pants up a bit. It carries the G20 well and is still attached when I take the back pack off. I also modified it by cutting down the sweat/shirt guard to help with proper grip during pistol draw.

I have several other holsters by Talon and they all work well. I did have to heat up a couple just a bit to loosen them since they were a little too tight on the pistol for my liking but an easy fix with a hair dryer and a few minutes time.
Worth a look.

Last edited by SBTCO; 04/28/20.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I use the Gun Fighter with a Glock and works well. I am able to use it with a chest bino harness.

Saw this recently. No experience, but looking interesting
https://alpineproducts.com/product/pistol-slicker-chest-and-leg-harness-conceals-and-protects/

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm doing the same research right now. I am living in the east (PA) so I am leaning toward the Hill People sack rather than the Kenai so the gun is hidden from view. I am legally allowed to carry but don't see the need to draw attention to myself on the trail. I mostly hike sections of the AT and local trails, so I am passing a lot of people every day. I have a Chesty Puller from Simply Rugged for a Mountain Gun and like it pretty well, the Kenai seems like a better all-weather option.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Razco!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redleg172
I am legally allowed to carry but don't see the need to draw attention to myself on the trail.

The HPG chest rig allows me to have a Glock 45 nearby and ready, and does not give away any tactical advantage by showing I’m armed, and how.

I love me some tactical advantage and I’m not giving any away.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have been using an HPG recon for several years. Very comfortable under pack straps and fast access. I wear mine lower than they show in their vids and use a Raven trigger cover which attaches to the inside of the main compartment. in bear country I can unzip to the bottom of the left side and it remains closed and discrete.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The HPG Recon will fit a 5" N Frame, a 1911, G17, etc. Like Mike R, I tend to wear mine a bit lower when I have a gun in it for faster access, and position the zippers in a manner that allow rapid acquisition.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Depending on the location will depend on what I choose for a handgun, or even if I choose to carry a handgun in the pack, versus on my hip. The pack is quite handy, and I tend to use mine as a chest rig sometimes for other purposes. Great piece of gear.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not necessarily a backpacking rig, but for comfort in CCW Commander carry, I've never been able to beat Milt Sparks Versa-Max II.

https://www.miltsparks.com/products-versa-max-2.php

Murphy was a grunt.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Fremont: How do you get to the sidearm when the pack waist belt is fastened?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like the El Paso Saddlery 1942 Tanker but it is not concealable unless you wear a jacket or shirt over it.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Razco!

Was poking around on his site, and ended up grabbing one of his V1 IWB holsters. Great product, and delivered quickly. Not terribly applicable to this topic, but thanks for the recommendation.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Razco!

Was poking around on his site, and ended up grabbing one of his V1 IWB holsters. Great product, and delivered quickly. Not terribly applicable to this topic, but thanks for the recommendation.

Great guy and great products. You must of caught him while he was home! I know he has been backlogged because of the virus messing up his rotation.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Hill People Gear Kit Bag chest rig.

Have two, love them and better than a cross draw in the woods, in my opinion.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

I really like the design of these. I'm thinking of getting one for myself and one for my son. My son has a full size 1911, so for him the runner's kit bag, but I carry a commander. Will the commander fit the snubby kit bag OK, or do you think I should get the full size bag as well?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a runner's and heavy recon. Never seen a snubby, but I would guess a commander would fit. Shoot them an email, they can tell you for sure. I would probably end up with a runners in your shoes, just because I don't see the downside.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I ordered a snubby, so I'll see if the Commander fits. If it's too small for my needs, I'll give it to my daughter. She runs and hikes a lot and her Shield should fit it fine.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well, almost. The snubby will go to my daughter for the Shield.

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Orchemo
I use the Gun Fighter with a Glock and works well. I am able to use it with a chest bino harness.

Saw this recently. No experience, but looking interesting
https://alpineproducts.com/product/pistol-slicker-chest-and-leg-harness-conceals-and-protects/

I like the leg carry option on this one. With my pack rigging and bino chest harness, my torso is already quite busy.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
765 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 92 invisible), 3,028 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.