Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
arky65 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Any tips or caveats selling on Gunbroker.
I have never sold anything on Gunbroker, so any help is greatly appreciated.
My, dad has decided to sell 90% of his firearms, so I was thinking of selling them here and/ or Gunbroker. Most or just run of the mill he picked up through the years. He has a few really nice new in the box Colt and Ruger handguns.

Thanks in advance.

There is a war on America and America is losing
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Take good detailed pictures

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a real good choice.
It's free and fast. Price your item fairly, have quality photos available, and follow all the laws.
On Gunbroker, I would start with selling 8-10 inexpensive items since you have -0- feedback. build up your reputation some with extras like extra magazines, books, scopes, slings, holsters, inexpensive items etc........Whatever you decide, Good luck to you!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I generally like to post here first. If no interest, then go to gunbroker.com. As long as items are fairly priced and you are patient, 80-90% of items sell here. Good pictures are critical.

Last edited by cjkostic; 04/29/20.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Get yourself a great background cloth and take pictures alots of them. Get lots of light during a overcast day for no Pay the extra three dollars to list it with the the option that makes it show up first ahead of other searches. I would put the starting bid what you think you could get out of it and wait. You never know when your going to get two people fight over it. Feel free to pm/call if you need any other help.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Around me we have a number of auction houses and things always go way high and is easy to do as you just drop off your guns and they do the selling and processing.

Good luck with whatever method you choose.

Frank

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I use gunbroker as a last resort, or for very high priced items. Although they do take their cut.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Depending on the volume of firearms, I’d consider an auction house like: Cowan’s, GunRunner, or even Amoskeag.

These outfits do an admirable job, especially with higher end sporting arms.

Go Bearcats
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GrahamVT
I use gunbroker as a last resort, or for very high priced items. Although they do take their cut.
Gunbroker will hack you for 6% of the first $250 of your final sale price and 3.5% of any amount greater than $250 as well as a fee of 2% of the reserve price should you opt for a reserve-style auction. If you sold something under a reserve auction for $800 and the reserve was $750, your final tally would be $49.25 in fees.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’d just try and sell them on here. I’ve bought and sold a lot on here. There’s lots of good guys. It’s not a huge deal to ship them. USPS seems to be the cheapest. Be prepared for all sorts of questions. You can tell really quick if someone is actually interested or not and move on. I’d list some rifle/shotguns first and see how it goes.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JerradPelzer
Be prepared for all sorts of questions. You can tell really quick if someone is actually interested or not and move on.
"What is the serial number? Oh, it's 12345? I wanted 123456 or higher."

"How much does it weigh? Oh, I wanted one that's 7 lbs. 6 oz., 7 lbs. 9 oz. is too heavy."

"Can I get pictures of the box?"

"What's the twist rate?"

"Would you take $X? I know where I can buy one for $X+ $1."

"Has this had the recall work done? Oh, I wanted one with/without the recall work done."

"Do you have an FFL? My dealer will only receive from an FFL holder."

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The Campfire crowd appreciates an opportunity to purchase - but, most are looking for bargains, so be prepared for it.

What's the terminal objective of the sell-down? No need to answer in public - you just need to define to yourself (or Dad) what you want to achieve with the sale - before going forward with it.

Just passing on the firearm? Listing here is good, and quality "users" will sell - sooner or later.

Money in the bank for emergencies? May want to look at Gunbroker - more traffic on the auction, no need to bump every few hours, and can be found by search - paying the extras in the listing will bump it.

Financing a move, life changing events, or unforeseen bills - need to make a certain level of cash, or the firearm is truly a collectible? Gunbroker at least, or the auction house if you have a good one close by.

The actual sale mechanism will be the same - an FFL is needed in most cases, and you are covered on the transfer of ownership by using one.

The hardest thing on here will be dealing with the questions - the rounds count, the weight, the groups, the "fill-in-the-blank" who-zey-whattisit questions - I'm guilty of it as well.

Figure out what the dividing mark will be for who gets it - PM or public ITT, any "pending pictures" limits, etc.

Last edited by AH64guy; 04/29/20.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Last year I sold about 50 guns from my collection, I started off selling to friends, then moved up to a local web sight, then moved to here. With my friend, Nick, we sold about 25 rifles here. I did the pricing/descriptions & Nick did the picture taking as well as shipping. We priced every thing fairly & only failed to sell 2 rifles. It cost about $100.00 to package, ship & insure a rifle, we didn't sell anything under $750.00 here. WE used 415.00 Walmart cases & had the UPS store make boxes. Everything was shipped USPS. Net Net Nick & I had fun selling here.

Last edited by gahuntertom; 04/29/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
550 views in 3 hours just about possibly having a gun to sell. I'd give it a go here first!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Gunbroker does fees but if you have desirable firearms you might try a few on their. Do the penny auction with no reserve and when bidding stops you will know what you gun was worth.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This...

Originally Posted by cjkostic
I generally like to post here first. If no interest, then go to gunbroker.com. As long as items are fairly priced and you are patient, 80-90% of items sell here. Good pictures are critical.

I've sold some here and a few on gunbroker. If they don't sell here you can always try gunbroker, before your first feedback you will have a NR rating and a warning '" that if you see this item on another website it may be a scam", so it makes the first few hard to sell. Rimfires I may try here or at rimfirecentral's classifieds. On gunbroker, I generally list it for the minimum I want out of the gun, you can always change the listing price if you do not get any bids... But I never use the "Reserve" feature, because I never bid on them or even look at them, anymore as they are a waste of time (usually).

Yes, no fees here (or other forums), gunbroker has as noted above fees, an auction house is generally much higher than gunbroker. And I never sell (except for consignment) at any of the local gunshops as they will offer you a pittance, at least in my area. Gunbrokers listing fees are only a few bucks, and you can easily set it up to automatically re-list until sold (you are not charged for the re-list when you use this), you are only charged the fees noted above if the guns sells.

Good pictures will help a lot. Crappy pictures will make the gun harder to sell or it will sell for less than it is worth. Conversely, try to picture all of the blems or describe them.

$100 a rifle for shipping is way high. Actual shipping (I'm on the west coast) will run up to $55 maybe $60 max. insured (weight and distance dependent of course). Boxes can be had for free at local gunshops, start getting them now, don't wait for your first gun to sell to start looking for boxes. Pack it well, insurance claims are a bother and may not be honored if it was not packed worth a damn. I like to use bubble wrap and extra cardboard at the muzzle and butt. Handguns can only be shipped through the postal service by an FFL, NOT an individual. Handguns can be shipped by an individual at the private carriers, for to much, it costs me the same to have a dealer ship a handgun priority mail as it does for me to take it to a private carrier (UPS or Fedex), it all depends on what your FFL dealer charges.

Know your product... some firearms that may not seem all that nice or a famous name brand may be highly desired by collectors or shooters. Trying to think of examples... Remington Nylon 66's, 'some' Savage 99's, oddball rimfires, etc.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
A
arky65 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks, for the input guys, I'm not looking forward to this for many varied reasons.

There is a war on America and America is losing
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Arky65: I would not even consider posting on or buying from "gunbreaker"!
I have had wonderful luck over the last 17 years buying and selling here in the free classified section though.
Most "gunshows" have been put on hold for the near future anyway and I would use them secondly once they do re-open.
Best of luck in your sales and I hope the "chore" doesn't hurt or harm to much.
I'd also buy any and all items you can afford or like!
A few family guns have "evaded" me (including some I bought as gifts for family members and they slipped away!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Pm sent

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
Here is a real good choice.
It's free and fast. Price your item fairly, have quality photos available, and follow all the laws.
On Gunbroker, I would start with selling 8-10 inexpensive items since you have -0- feedback. build up your reputation some with extras like extra magazines, books, scopes, slings, holsters, inexpensive items etc........Whatever you decide, Good luck to you!

Good advice...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

364 members (160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 34 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,226
Posts18,447,692
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.