Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
How did those Sierras hold up for you ...

I killed 7 of my first 10 elk with 180 grain Sierra GameKing bullets from my .30-06. Hits broadside right behind the shoulder dropped the elk quickly. Poorer hits took longer. All of those bullets opened up extensively and some cores separated from the jackets.

I killed one of my best 6x6 bulls with a 117 grain Sierra GameKing bullet from my .257 Ackley. It was about a 70 yard broadside shot right behind his shoulder. The bullet hit a rib going in, shredded his lungs, and didn't cut the rib cage on the off side. He dropped dead without taking a step.

Originally Posted by mannyspd1
I used the 180 grain Nosler partitions, and they worked well. About half would exit, the other half would be found under the hide on the opposite side, usually weighing around 65%, give or take. Most of the front would be gone, the mushroomed rear is what penetrated...

From 1980 through 2003 I used 180 grain Nosler Partitions at 2920 fps from my .30 Gibbs on another 20 elk and 2 Shiras bull moose. Most of them performed like mannyspd1 described, and were one shot kills, including the 2 moose.

Since 2003 I've killed elk with my 7mm RM shooting 160 grain Accubonds, and my .300 Weatherby shooting 168 grain Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets. My primary elk load now is 180 grain TTSX bullets in my .300 Wby.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member