24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
S
I actually have a question as well if you don't mind? I just loaded up some 40gr varmageddons behind 22 grains of imr 4198. When it came time to seat the bullets I realized there was no way I could seat the bullets to the recommended 2.260 because they would fall out. I settled for 2.150" oal. Which has the base of my bullet about 3/4 way down the neck. Is this acceptable? I have not shot any of them yet, I'm sure the accuracy will suffer being seated that far of the lands, that and fact my rifle is a 1/9 twist. But these bullets were $20 for 250 of them and really wanted more velocity than the 55-60 grainers. Is it a good idea to keep them seated down in the neck a ways or should I try seating them out further?

BP-B2

S
S
Originally Posted by Brett_Mc
bsa1917hunter:

Mine is a 1-12" twist. Like you I wish mine was a little tighter but what I have is good. I'm shooting a Vanguard Varmint Special. I wanna try a load with the 65 gr Gamekings but the recommended twist is tighter than 1-12" maybe I'll buy a box and if my gun doesn't like them I could always trade them. More and more I keep thinking I'd like a fast twist 22-250.

You guys are the lucky ones you can't even find a .223 with a 1 in 12 twist anymore. I would love to get that extra velocity using 50-52 grain bullets and still get clover leaf groups. If I was gonna hunt moose I'd take my 7mm08 I buy a .223 as a varmint rifle and have no desire for bullets over 55 grains. Lol

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Shawn2571

You guys are the lucky ones you can't even find a .223 with a 1 in 12 twist anymore. I would love to get that extra velocity using 50-52 grain bullets and still get clover leaf groups.l

What???

The world is full of 1 in 12 twist .223s....

And believe it or not you can shoot 50-52 grain bullets in a 1 in 9..or even a 1 in 8 twist! shocked

And they will shoot bug holes...

Wonders never cease...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Wow talk about an old thread. This thing started 10 years ago and keeps coming back.

ingwe is right about spinning small bullets fast - they sharpenlize even more !!

I didn’t notice anyone mention varget powder for the 223, many of the high power shooters use it, you can basically fill the case (it’s close) and be good with Varget.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My favorite fun load is 12 grains of Blue Dot pushing a 35 grain VMax. Not too loud, accurate in my 20 inch 9 twist LTR barreled 700, about 3200 FPS IIRC and it just vaporizes small varmints. Down at 8 grains it's 22 LR quiet and still accurate. For deer, 28 gr BLC-2 and a 53 gr TSX.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hmmm...don't have that much experience with the 223 as I grew up shooting a 222. Having said that I made up 500 .223 loads for some friends with a mix of 50 grain projectiles.

25.5 grains benchmark
Remington case
cci primer
50 grain vmax, ballistic tip, and ballistic tip lead free.

both 223s that I tried this load in went sub moa including my 8 twist ar 15

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm glad to hear that the 223rem isn't a fussy cartridge to reload. It will be me first rifle cartridge that I reload for! Any tips or suggestions? Will be using once fired lake city brass.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by leomort
I'm glad to hear that the 223rem isn't a fussy cartridge to reload. It will be me first rifle cartridge that I reload for! Any tips or suggestions? Will be using once fired lake city brass.

Yeah, to load up on Brass... contact John @ Brassman...
https://brassmanbrass.com/

John's got about any brand of 223, (once fired) you could desire..
real good pricing, fast shipment... in about any quantity you might desire also.

223s are finicky, especially if you are shooting a bolt action...

as I've said for a long time... its harder to find a bad load for a 223,
than it is to find one that is a lot better than all the others...

its a pretty non finicky cartridge.

all cartridges so be so non picky..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two of my favorites is 23.2 of RL10x with a 55 grain Hornady soft point and 24 grains of AA2015 with the same Hornady soft point. They are even accurate in my skinny barrel Mini 14.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to pass this one on.

I have a 70HV that has frustrated me for several years. I kept trying to use 50-grain V-Maxs and Benchmark because that combination had worked very well for me in other .223s. I was getting to the point that I was thinking of replacing it with another rifle and let someone else figure it out. As a last resort, I decided to try a new-to-me combination: 50-grain Ballistic Tips and X-Terminator. The first trial loads showed promise, and it looked as though 25.6 grains had the most potential so I loaded up 50 and went to the range. I had three different seating depths, and all three shot well. I was 15, 20, and 25 thousandths off the lands. The 0.015" loads seemed to be the best and that's what I'm going with. I haven't chronographed the load, but I'm guessing it's going to clock around 3350 out of my 26-inch barrel. Images of my groups and a more detailed description can be found in the AR and Tactical Rifles forum, "24HC MOA All Day Long" thread, posted on April 26, 2020. I'd supply the link to the thread but I'm using my phone to post this, and I find such maneuvers to be a supreme PITA!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020
Two of my favorites is 23.2 of RL10x with a 55 grain Hornady soft point and 24 grains of AA2015 with the same Hornady soft point. They are even accurate in my skinny barrel Mini 14.

kwg

I have tweaked this load and bullet. I now use 23.4 of RL10x in gas guns and 23.2 in bolt actions. My next challenge is the AA2015. Same 55 grain Hornady but I will probably go down to a similar load with the AA2015. Others have mentioned the 63 grain SMP. I have loaded some with 24 grains of AA2460 for my bolt guns and 24.6 for the gas guns. They were already accurate but now that I have some time due to the social distancing it's time to play with this bullet and load. I typically use my Mini14 to test my loads. If I can make them shoot in that gun they will shoot well in anything.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I have to pass this one on.

I have a 70HV that has frustrated me for several years. I kept trying to use 50-grain V-Maxs and Benchmark because that combination had worked very well for me in other .223s. I was getting to the point that I was thinking of replacing it with another rifle and let someone else figure it out. As a last resort, I decided to try a new-to-me combination: 50-grain Ballistic Tips and X-Terminator. The first trial loads showed promise, and it looked as though 25.6 grains had the most potential so I loaded up 50 and went to the range. I had three different seating depths, and all three shot well. I was 15, 20, and 25 thousandths off the lands. The 0.015" loads seemed to be the best and that's what I'm going with. I haven't chronographed the load, but I'm guessing it's going to clock around 3350 out of my 26-inch barrel. Images of my groups and a more detailed description can be found in the AR and Tactical Rifles forum, "24HC MOA All Day Long" thread, posted on April 26, 2020. I'd supply the link to the thread but I'm using my phone to post this, and I find such maneuvers to be a supreme PITA!

Andrew,

I have found in ALL of my 223s ( and I have a couple )that Benchmark, H 322 and a couple more in that burn rate range.. seem to
shoot tighter groups when they are run hotter...With 50 grainers and Benchmark, the tightest groups I get are running 27 grains of Benchmark.... with 53, 55 and 60 grainers, I am running 265. grains of Benchmark... with 40 grainers, I run 28 grains of Benchmark...pressures ( at least at the reload bench) don't seem to think the pressures are too high...when I resize the brass...

H 322, is another good powder.. I also run that one with 27 grains with 50 grainers on down.. and 26.5 with over 50 grainers.. up to 60 grain bullets...my 223s are ALL bolt actions...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Even tho this thread is ANCIENT... browsed thru and didn't see this one for me, on a powder I'm well known advocate of..

223... 14 grains of Blue Dot...40 to 55 grain bullets, small rifle primers... no fillers...

work up in your rifles if you try any of them... with 52, 53 and 55 grain bullets if shooting in temps in the 90s or above..
back your max load off, half a grain to 13.5....

don't exceed these max loads listed here...

10 grains of Unique, and a small rifle primer and 40 to 50 grain bullet, makes the 223 be a hot 223 mag or up to a 22K Hornet
equivalent....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My favorite load:

50 grain Nosler BT or BT varmint
Rem 7-1/2
25.0 grains IMR 3031
Starline brass

This is for my CZ 527 American with a 1/12 twist. My AR with 1/9 loves the 75 gr. Speer Gold Dot.

[Linked Image]

I've shot smaller 10 shot groups with this load, but don't have any pics of it.

Last edited by DubThomas; 04/29/20.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've been reloading 223's since about 1968. Still have my original 223 (along with a few more). Varget just don't get it done with 55 gr or lighter bullets. But it is my go-to load for heavier bullets. My other go-to powder is 2015 for lighter bullets. Like others have said the 223 is very reloader friendly. I've had good results with 335, 3031, and numerous other powders. Back in the early 70's, I had a friend who had access to "lots" of GI 5.62 ammo. When we got ready to go prairie dog shooting, he would bring by about a thousand rounds. I would spend a couple of nights pulling those FMJ bullets and reseating Sierra 50 gr SX's on top of the military powder and primers. Hey when you're young and broke, you do what you gotta do....LOL (AND they shot minute of prairie dog and coyote...lots of hits out to 300 yards.)

http:/www.canadianriverhilton.com
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Geez, this is an old thread. My latest 223 endeavor consisted of shooting 3 ar's and 1 savage predator bolt action to try and dial in 1 good load for the lot of them... One interesting thing that you guys might like is the 1 in 9 twist barrel on the 22 savage predator, stabilized the heavy 77gr Sierra TMK bullet very well. Actually surprisingly well. .... Check out these holes. Nice and round with no signs of tumbling:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That's 10 shots, as what is per usual with my varmint rifle testing.... Here are my 223 rem rifles from that day's outing:

And the loaded ammo:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What’s that load BSA? I use a lot of LVR and the 77 TMKs. Also what did you record for speed with that load? Nice shooting man!

Semper Fi
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
RockyRaab: I have been using H 335 in 223 Remington Varmint Rifles for several decades now and I find it to consistently produce good to great accuracy in a multitude of my Rifles in caliber 223.
For instance (from my loading log) the most accurate (smallest) group I have ever produced (5 shots at 100 yards) with an all factory stock Varmint Rifle - I made using H 335 powder.
Information/particulars on that Rifle/loading: Remington XR-100 in 223 with Leupold 8.5x25 scope shooting 52 grain Berger bullets in LaPua cases using Federal 205 Match primers and the aforementioned H 335 Powder = group size .121"!
Example #2: Remington Model 700 PSS (Police Sniper Special) in 223 with Leupold 6.5x20 scope shooting Sierra 50 gr. Blitz (not Blitz-King!) bullets in Federal cases using Federal 205 Match primers and the aforementioned H 335 powder.
The average of the last THREE sight-in verification groups (each 5 shots at 100 yards - each fired in different years) is .292"!
Again checking through my loading log I simply can not find a load work up for any 223 Remington Rifle I have owned and tested where H 335 powder "shot poorly" - that is saying something because I still have in my possession 16 (sixteen) Varmint Rifles and pistols in caliber 223 Remington.
For accuracy intentions please try H 335 and Berger 52 grain bullets along with the wonderful and affordable Sierra 50 grain Blitz bullets.
Long live the wonderful 223 Remington cartridge.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
What’s that load BSA? I use a lot of LVR and the 77 TMKs. Also what did you record for speed with that load? Nice shooting man!

Thanks buddy. That load runs around 2690 fps avg with 22.3gr of ar comp. Not a screamer, but pretty consistent. I want to shoot some steel at at least 400 yards with that load, just to be sure its stabilizing. But looking at the 100 yard target, im thinking it will be just fine. Have you found the 77TMK to be oal sensitive? I dont know if i should play around with seating depth, or just run it at ar mag length and call it good?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by beretzs

Thanks buddy. That load runs around 2690 fps avg with 22.3gr of ar comp. Not a screamer, but pretty consistent. I want to shoot some steel at at least 400 yards with that load, just to be sure its stabilizing. But looking at the 100 yard target, im thinking it will be just fine. Have you found the 77TMK to be oal sensitive? I dont know if i should play around with seating depth, or just run it at ar mag length and call it good?

I have found those 77 TMK's will seem to shoot well if you could stuff horse manure under them and get them down the barrel. They are easy and have been in a few rifles. I like them so much I have gone to buying them in bricks of 500 since I tend to use them if they shoot in a given 22 centerfire. I run mine at 2.260 in HK steel magazines like the way they work.

Semper Fi
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
411 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 42 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.