Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

What is the best option for getting them recovered? An auto upholstery shop? Can you purchase new skins like you can for some autos?

I'd imagine an auto upholstery shop could do it if you tell them to make sure to use marine materials. As someone else mentioned, you're probably in a bad area to find marine upholsterers, they're every couple of miles along the Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida Gulf Coast around me. Marine upholstery, especially in the south, takes a beating unless the boat lives indoors most of the time.

I would opt for having it recovered instead of trying to buy new replacements. Most upholsterers will do a better job than came from the factory and use better materials. Boat manufacturers don't do their own, they farm it out to the cheapest bidder. I've had some done on my boat by a local guy and it's better than came from the factory. Hardly anyone down here tries to find new cushions, they have the old ones recovered.

If you can't find someone local I'd consider getting on the internet and find some shops in the Pensacola FL, Orange Beach or Mobile AL, Ocean Springs or Gulfport MS area that gets good reviews and call them for some quotes. The UPS shipping wouldn't be that much and they'd likely charge you half as much while doing a better job than someone in a high rent area like Seattle. Like anything else, high volume shops will usually do a better job at a lower price because of economies of scale. Boat upholstery shops down here get a lot of practice.

That fixes upholstery, but the guts are old...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Find a marine upholstery shop. If the boat is popular there may be skins ( I just bought a set for my Ski boat) but a good marine upholstery shop will be able to repair the frames replace, foam as needed as well as install new skins or fabricate from scratch. Cheap it ain't but I figure the first set lasted 20+ years, so one more run should about do it for me.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

That fixes upholstery, but the guts are old...

The first thing an upholstery shop does is replace the guts, all they need is the frame and that can be fixed too.

It ain't rocket surgery

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He said he had air ride bases which means there are bucket seats bolted on to them.
Those bases might not even be original equipment let alone the seats.
Probably already been replaced at least once or twice in the 32 years this boat has been in use.

The bases are pretty spendy and the sky is the limit on what you want to spend on a 4 bolt bucket to perch on top of them.

It's not some custom wrap around bow rider type of interior, it's a bad azzed river jet boat with buckets so you don't get tossed out of them while pounding through rollers and rapids....

You can get decent buckets for a couple hundred each or even less, but then you could buy seats at a grand a pop if that's what turns your crank. Those bases will run you close to a grand each.

I wouldn't have them rebuilt unless I was after custom colors....I'd just pick up a couple fresh seats that fit my azz well.

[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
The seats are "Trail Boss", and are the same seats equipped in tractor trailer rigs. They appear to be original equipment, further evidence is the dash clock says the boat has less than 1000 hours on it.

The seats are actually in pretty good shape except for the skins. They were originally stitched with a three inch quilted diamond pattern. The vinyl has ripped out along the stitch lines. But the foam is sound underneath.

I asked at the boat shop about cost for replacement of the seats, well over four grand.

But the boat shop recommended a local upholstery shop which they use all the time. I went over and talked to the shop owner. He has good heavy marine grade vinyl which is better than OEM. He can do both seats for $650, and is only two weeks out before he has an opening. And he has the color to match the boat, which is nice, if not critical.

So I think the issue is taken care of. I appreciate all the suggestions. I am headed out with four of the grandkids tomorrow to slay some crappie.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (19rabbit52, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.