S
Anyone use one ?

BP-B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
battle, on here, knows a lot about them. You may want to give him a shout.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I used a Super-X in the duck blind when shooting lead was still legal and used the same shotgun for pheasants out west with a 26 inch improved cylinder choked barrel. I used
the Super-X for about anything as i didn't mind carrying the "heavy" shotgun around. The Sup-X cycles a shell faster than any shotgun I am aware of due to it's short stroke gas system.

Nuline Guns offered a service of converting the Super-X to 3 inch guns for goose hunters.

Not sure what info you are looking for regarding the Super-X for waterfowl.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks Tim,

However as much as I like the SuperX Model1 and think it would make a good Waterfowl shotgun....today there are probably better options for most. When it comes to SemiAutos, the original Super X requires more maintenance than the offerings of today... The most reliable, maintenance free, SemiAutos for down and dirty Waterfowl hunting are being made right now....

If I was a serious Waterfowl hunter, I would be using either a Model 12 or 870....for what that is worth when it comes to Waterfowl, which for most is little.....

Last edited by battue; 05/01/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I used one for a bit when lead was legal, shot steel through others later on. The 2 3/4" chamber is a bit limiting in shot capacity for geese with steel but it will work if one lets them get close. #2 or #3 steel shot in 1 1/8 oz loads for ducks were pretty dependable though they were a little light for divers from shore.

The SX-1 does require more care than the current guns to keep running but it is not unreasonable. The biggest problem is that of parts as it has been out of production for so long. My first one was factory original, the next two were upgraded by Boomer Baumgart and Steve Fischer. The first one saw the most use in the field where it faired no better or worse than most other semiautos of the 1990s.

If an SX-1 were one's primary gun, then I would look hard at the non-toxics other than steel. The shorter chamber limits charge weights and/or velocity to less than my preference. This would be especially true if using a fixed Full choke.

IC B2

S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Oh I got a benelli m2 as my main waterfowl gun. I just thought the x1 were old school. I'll break it out when gunning over the corkers gonna look into the Boss shells they have non toxic alternatives for the older non steel compatible gun. My x1 is choked mod which is closer to light mod

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
best semi auto ever made........

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I wish they were still made and the quirks addressed.....

Triggers had a hitch and drag on their release..there were I think 3 different modifications to try and correct the issue....

Triggers collected carbon waste like a garbage can with high volume use. Much more than any modern SA....

A large trigger pin was prone to breaking with high volume use....one of the issues Boomer addressed..

Magazine tube was prone to rusting and developing a burn ring....another issue he fixed with a stainless tube....

I’ve had 2 that had ribs come loose and with one the rib came off...

More than once I've put 3-4 thousand thru an A400 with nothing other than wiping down the outside and with none or only a couple malfunctions....Something I wouldn't suggest with the Super X Model1....All that being said, with the possible exception of the Beretta A400 with the kick-off system, they were perhaps the softest shooting SA I’ve used....along with being well balanced as they came out of the box....

Last edited by battue; 05/02/20.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
agree with Battue. I had one when they first came out; it was fussy, prone to cycling hangups, heavy... but dang, it LOOKED good! smile I traded it for something, might have been an Ithaca 51. too long ago to remember. but from my view, I either got a lemon or they were just over-hyped in the first run.
Kid out

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve shot my son’s Super X1 at the trap range after I cleaned it up and replaced the buffer. Shot my light 1oz. Trap reloads as well as AA super pigeon loads fine. Heavy gun but it’s a beautiful, soft shooting son of a gun.
I wouldn’t mind moving it to my safe. cool

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I had two - one a skeet model that digested thousands of rounds with no issues; and a field model that I later had Nu-Line convert to 3-inch. The field model was used exclusively for duck hunting in the worst of conditions about 90% being in the coastal salt marshes and tidal creeks. This was 1970's technologies and the main alternatives as the time were the Rem 1100 and the Browning A5. It's real easy to compare unfavorably with later-day technology guns; however, if I still hunted waterfow, I would not hesitate to continue with my SX-1 as it never failed me.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My uncle has 3 of them, if you have one i would check and see if the recoil buffer behind the bolt is still in there..we took his apart last year and in all 3 they were disintegrated and the bolt was pinging bare metal back there

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought an original (4 digit serial number) new from a hardware store in the fall of 1976 (first new gun I ever bought) and hunted with it exclusively for a good ten years before buying another shotgun as my primary (a used Model 12). My Dad shot a SX-M1 Trap model in competition for years; the bolt buffer recommendations above is a very valid point - if it is original it needs to be replaced, I bought several from Stu Wright several years ago - his do a nice job and are not as hard or brittle. I also replaced the metal recoil buffer (if that is the correct term) with a Stu Wright replacement - mine was all chewed up from years of shooting. Ours were both very reliable shotguns (Dad was an avid trap shooter, he wouldn't have kept it if it ever balked on him). Dads was a later generation and he had the trigger worked on by a smith at the Trap Nationals in Ohio years ago (not sure who did the work) - his trigger was very clean. Mine is the original first generation and never gave me a problem, but not as smooth as the one in Dad's trap gun. I still have mine, Dad sold his via Shotgun World a decade back - there is an avid SX-M1 fan base that hangs out there in the Winchester sub-forum. Buy it, great gun if you don't mind the quirks.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got 895,000 rounds thru mine. 40,000 series. looks like it was dragged thru combat but still working after 2 buffers, and a bolt assy failure.
I owned dozens of them.
yet...I never sold my 1st one. and there it sits in the cabinet...waiting for me to use it again for another 100 rounds of skeet.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I have a Beretta 303 that was my sons earlier clays gun and now my winter heavy dove gun that about 700,000 rounds. Been a work horse as well..

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by fuzzytail
I have a Beretta 303 that was my sons earlier clays gun and now my winter heavy dove gun that about 700,000 rounds. Been a work horse as well..

The Beretta 303's have a cult like following much like the Winchester Super-X's.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And like the SuperX Model1, the cult following of the 303 is slowly dying out.....Most of the new crowd goes....303????

Did run across a guy shooting a Super XModel1 at sporting the other day....so the flame still flickers grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First year gun, I bought it in 1976, 28" MOD plain barrel.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought one when it was introduced, 26” improved cylinder. Great dove gun, shot thousands of WW Upland shells without a problem. I had my “best day” of dove shooting with it, 12 for 12 late one afternoon in less than an hour.

It had style for sure.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
When I hunted ducks that's all I used. Hey JB, what part of SC are you? I'm in Walterboro.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
And like the SuperX Model1, the cult following of the 303 is slowly dying out.....Most of the new crowd goes....303????

Did run across a guy shooting a Super X Model1 at sporting the other day....so the flame still flickers grin

303? Heck yeah! Oh, you mean that OTHER 303! Theoldies are still loved by some.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Archibald Rutledge

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Upstate near the Ga line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.