Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I degreased last evening, then used blue painters tape to run length wise down the barrel.
As you said, pressed hard, and used a razor blade. I'm sure it won't be perfect edges, but close.
Taping my fluted bolt next.
Prep, and more prep. No stocks to do.
Bottom metal all degreased, and degreased again.

Last edited by splattermatic; 04/29/20.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I find a few spots that aren't perfect, but its my first !
Still should turn out okay.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Masking is a bitch, good job!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Prep work is 90% of the project, actual painting will take a few minutes. Looking forward to see how it turns out.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to prep another, just in case I have extra.
Since I'm only doing flutes, and not the whole barrel, I think I will.
Just not wanting to waste any.
Might prep another stainless fluted barrel ?

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Four ounces should be wayyy enough for a few barrels and a stock, IIRC. You simply don't need to mix it all. Two table spoons color and a half teaspoon hardener will more than cover what you've mentioned, the two barrel's worth of flutes and the bolt.... Let us know.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's a 2 part aerosol can. A can in a can. You activate the one inside from the bottom of the outside can, then shake.
I can get another prepped just like this one, and another I want to do, just in case.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tstorm1
Prep work is 90% of the project, actual painting will take a few minutes.

Indeed, that's all painting. Most people think "painting" is applying paint to a surface... that's the least of it.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

About any compressor will work for an air brush, and it takes just a little more for the small Iwata gun. Dry clean air.. Fairly low pressures, like 15-30 and it looks wet, not too much air where it's dry instantly, or is powdery looking...

Thanks. I have several compressors, but they're for nail guns. Any should work I guess.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Brad

Thanks. I have several compressors, but they're for nail guns. Any should work I guess.

I typically use a 30 gallon compressor when spraying and I'm using a small hvlp gun or airbrush. I can run the airbrush for hours without needing to refill the tank, the hvlp gun uses a lot of air for its size. Just turn the outlet pressure down and make sure to have an inline filter in place. The smaller the airbrush needle the less water and crud it takes to make it have issues. I typically work in the 15 to 22 psi range depending on the size of the project and detail needed.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tstorm1
Originally Posted by Brad

I typically use a 30 gallon compressor when spraying and I'm using a small hvlp gun or airbrush. I can run the airbrush for hours without needing to refill the tank, the hvlp gun uses a lot of air for its size. Just turn the outlet pressure down and make sure to have an inline filter in place. The smaller the airbrush needle the less water and crud it takes to make it have issues. I typically work in the 15 to 22 psi range depending on the size of the project and detail needed.

Thanks for the info. It’s much appreciated.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by splattermatic
It's a 2 part aerosol can. A can in a can. You activate the one inside from the bottom of the outside can, then shake.
I can get another prepped just like this one, and another I want to do, just in case.

Missed your second posted kit. That aerosol kit.... Good luck, but, I'd send it back and get the first kit pictured so you have control over your mixture quantity and ratio....

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm gonna try it and see.
Watch videos on this one, and it looks easy enough.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sprayed yesterday.
Receiver turned out beautiful, flutes.....
Well, I'm going to tape again, and only do 1 at a time, same on the bolt.
I do like the semi gloss HK black.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Can you kote the whole bolt and then sand/scotch brite it back down to leave just the flutes covered?
If you look at the thread under custom rifles that is what Aalf did on his barrel except he used spray paint
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14560029/shazam-2#Post14560029

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not knowing how fast, or well, duracoate stuck, I wasn't sure if I could do that.
Next go around, I'll try that.
Thank you for the link.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Receiver looks great. Before too many days pass you might try various stuff on the bolt, aircraft stripper, acetone, lacquer thinner....

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm all done !
My 7 mag turned out ok....
A few little bumps in the flutes, I think from small pieces of trimmed coating ?
Bolt came out ok. Will let dry, tape off the the ending edges of the flutes, and make the flutes blend into the bolt body coating.
Receiver, bottom metal, and trigger, all came out beautiful.
I also did the same stainless barrel, except in 30-06. Did just the flutes.
Taped off 1 valley at a time, let dry a bit, removed tape, and cleaned up the top edges with a razor blade.
Pics later...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've never tried using scotch brite or sanding away duracoat but I imagine it is possible, especially on flutes. Being a 2 part paint and hardener it takes a couple weeks to fully cure although it is hard enough after a couple of hours to be handled gently. From dry enough to handle onward you should be able to sand it off and leave it in the flutes and if you did it in the first day or 2 it should be soft enough to do with little pressure. Once fully cured it will take longer to sand off, when removing it from fully cured rifles I use a sandblasted as it's much more efficient than sandpaper.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
+1 on the couple of weeks.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,311
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.