-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 20 21
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think a lot of people forget who the "experts" were in the late 80's.

I've never seen a more detailed or well articulated argument for why the FBI has opted to use 9mm chambered guns at this point in time. You'd have to be a subjective person to argue any of their points.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Jorge, I not 100% certain but I think that even the Secret Service has transitioned to the Glock 19 in 9mm.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
I^^^^THIS 100% The Beretta 92, Sig 226, Glock 17, S&W 5906, etc. were all designed around the 9mm Parabellum. When the 40 S&W was shoe horned into those pistols, Beretta 96, Glock 22, S&W4006 etc and things started to break sooner. Most of the newer polymer striker fired pistols that were designed after the 40 S&W came out and designed specifically for the 40 S&W cartridge and then adapted to the 9mm hold up much better. The cartridge that is probably the toughest on pistol frames is the 10mm Auto, Glock designed their Model 20 around that cartridge and from what I here there are no breakage issues with it. From what I hear it runs like a sewing machine.

I don't disagree that some 9mm pistols were insufficiently modified to accept .40 S&W, but the S&W 4006 should not be on your list. The slide and frame were beefed up, and the frame rails and recoil timing were changed.

Also, the Glock 20 gets my vote for the most kB!'d pistol. There have been a half dozen kB!'d here on the Campfire.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
JOG, my mistake about the S&W 4006, I wasn't aware of how extensive the modifications were to that platform. And I learned something new about the Glock 20, I was not aware of the Kaboom issues with it. I thought most of the kaboom issueswere with the 40 S&W in the 22 & 23.

Last edited by ar15a292f; 04/30/20.
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Jorge, this is just my opinion, but I think that half the known world transitioned to the 40 S&W because the FBI did. They were following the FBI's lead.

exactly! Here's another curve ball; the Secret Service uses the 357 SIG....

Why do they use the .357 SIG?

No idea, but I'm sure some government bureaucrat came up with the TOE>

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not out to convince anybody of anything, mostly because I don't GAS.

But if somebody wants to see what people mean when they discuss the longevity of 40's stuffed into 9mm frames, put 10K through a Beretta 96 and 10K through a Beretta 92.

Let me know what happens.

I^^^^THIS 100% The Beretta 92, Sig 226, Glock 17, S&W 5906, etc. were all designed around the 9mm Parabellum. When the 40 S&W was shoe horned into those pistols, Beretta 96, Glock 22, S&W4006 etc and things started to break sooner. Most of the newer polymer striker fired pistols that were designed after the 40 S&W came out and designed specifically for the 40 S&W cartridge and then adapted to the 9mm hold up much better. The cartridge that is probably the toughest on pistol frames is the 10mm Auto, Glock designed their Model 20 around that cartridge and from what I here there are no breakage issues with it. From what I hear it runs like a sewing machine.

I can relate to the Beretta. We use them here in 9mm and I've had to send back a BUNCH for rework because of the cracked block...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
So can we have the CLiff Notes as to why the FBI transitioned (other than less recoil and weapon service life?

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Jorge, I not 100% certain but I think that even the Secret Service has transitioned to the Glock 19 in 9mm.

That would make sense overall.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I can relate to the Beretta. We use them here in 9mm and I've had to send back a BUNCH for rework because of the cracked block...

How many had cracked frames?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
So can we have the CLiff Notes as to why the FBI transitioned (other than less recoil and weapon service life?

The Cliff notes version, less recoil, better accuracy by the agents, service life of the pistol more effective ammunition and lower cost for ammunition. I have seen the paper Quantico wrote explaining the reasons for the switch but I don't have a copy of it at the moment.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Normally I would make a smart ass comment about watching a Paul Harrell video before reading the actual report, but because I love pilots I will make an exception.

The high points:

-Penetration standards are met.

-More bullets are better than less bullets.

-Data indicates the "one shot stop" theory is bullschit. Barring CNS.

-Cost.

-Deflection theories ended up being myth.

-Most barriers in vehicles can't be penetrated by a .40 or .45 any better than a 9mm.

-Overall marksmanship/scores/hit factors increase regardless of shooter skill level.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I believe that the latter versions, 3rd gen of the locking block are much more durable. I also think that in the 92 design, the locking block is a wearable/consumable item. It is easier and cheaper to replace a cracked locking block than it is to replace a cracked frame.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I don't know how many times you've been to Quantico but I don't think that's the word I'd use to describe a lot of the people involved in this type of testing in the past decade.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I believe that the latter versions, 3rd gen of the locking block are much more durable. I also think that in the 92 design, the locking block is a wearable/consumable item. It is easier and cheaper to replace a cracked locking block than it is to replace a cracked frame.

I'm not talking about the locking blocks.

I'm talking about the frames.

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

We've had them since January of 2015, give or take. We have an inventory of 90. So far, I've sent nine back and have three more to send. They do turn them around pretty fast.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JOG

I don't disagree that some 9mm pistols were insufficiently modified to accept .40 S&W, but the S&W 4006 should not be on your list. The slide and frame were beefed up, and the frame rails and recoil timing were changed.

Also, the Glock 20 gets my vote for the most kB!'d pistol. There have been a half dozen kB!'d here on the Campfire.

Agreed that you probably aren't going to wear a 4006 down.

Probably.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

We've had them since January of 2015, give or take. We have an inventory of 90. So far, I've sent nine back and have three more to send. They do turn them around pretty fast.

Nine cracked 92 frames in five years seems a wee bit high.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

There is a lot of truth in this I believe. 40 got stuffed into guns/frames that were not originally designed to handle it long term. Later designs, say such as the M&P seem to handle 40 easily. It’s entirely likely that earlier designs may hold the pressure enough to be safe to fire, but show wear faster on some parts.

Mark in GA

Last edited by MarkinGA; 04/30/20.
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I don't know how many times you've been to Quantico but I don't think that's the word I'd use to describe a lot of the people involved in this type of testing in the past decade.

I lived in Quantico for a while at the Marine Air Station barracks ( I was commuting to the Pentagon) Good friend of mine was at the Amphib warfare school and also a Scout Sniper. Taught me a LOT about long range shooting as well as side arms. And yes we also got to play over on the FBI side. I'm no pistolero, but I did shoot with them and the NYPD Swat folks and of course here. While I am SURE you and many others here have FAR more trigger time than me, I know enough to make informed decisions and form opinions.

As to the videos, have/did you watch it or any of his other videos? I think he is extremely credible. Thanks for the Cliff notes, but basically the video's point was the 9mm with modern stuff was, for all practical purposes, the equal of the 40, so why change? Blue provided the missing factors in the equation of cost and recoil (wimmins). Number of rounds was to me a wash (15 v 17)?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think his videos suck.

Page 4 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,901
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.