Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Ringman
You need a stun gun ready when you live where they live. You get bit use the stun gun on the bite. It is like a Jesus Christ miracle. I read the stun gun breaks down the protean of the poison.
I know they sure work on other spider and mosquito bites.

Ok, Dick Dastardly.

Do some google search.

Oh, you were serious. Sorry.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
We have them here. Always shake out my shoes and.boots that are in the garage.before I put them on. Another reason I apply tick granules around the base of my house is that it seems to keep the spiders away too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got bit by a Brown Recluse about 8 years ago. Got real sick (like a bad flu) for about 2 days before I noticed the bite. I had just talked to a guy a week or so earlier about how to identify and treat a BR bite, should I ever get one. He referred me to the website below.

https://www.badspiderbites.com/spider-bite-treatment/

I followed the procedure he outlined and within 2 hours, the symptoms had diminished substantially and were gone before bedtime. The guy was Gerald (first write-up on the website) and he was in our gun club. I was fortunate enough to know a vet who helped me out, too.

Sounds crazy, but it worked for me.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by rj308
I never personally have had an encounter with a Brown Recluse, but a friend of mine did. He was a motorcycle rider. One day when he went to work, riding down the Interstate on his sport bike, he had a sharp burning sensation on the side of his head, just behind the left ear. The damn thing was in his helmet. He found the spider when he took the helmet off as soon as he got to work. The next morning he went to the emergency room and went through a living hell for the next few months, almost losing his ear. He showed me the gory pictures of the rotting flesh on the side of his head. It really left an impression on me. I want NOTHING to do with a Brown Recluse. RJ

I had a story similar to that. I was riding my Harley home from work on the freeway when something black hit my face. I didn't pay any attention to it until I exited and was waiting at a red light. Then I heard buzzing by my ear. Without thinking (What I normally do), I stuck my hand inside my helmet and got stung in my earlobe. Right then, I'm whipping off my helmet, my bike dies because it needed to be switched onto Reserve, and the light turned green. I'm sure all the motorists around me got a good laugh out of it. After that, once or twice a year, I'd get a swelling in my earlobe. It felt like I had a BB in there. Several years later, I'm looking in my bathroom mirror and saw a black spot on my earlobe, just under the skin. I dug it out and it was the bee's stinger, which had finally worked its way to the surface. Never had any swelling after that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My son was bitten by one while moving lumber. The characteristic blister formed over the bite site. An internet search found reference to using nitroglycerin patches on the wound to increase blood flow and prevent rot. I showed it to the doctor, and she said, "Sure, why not? It can't hurt anything." and wrote the script.

Bite healed up in a few days. No rot, no swabbing out a big wound crater twice a day. By comparison, one coworker had a nickel-sized scar on her ankle, and another wore a bandage over his bite for months. The rot happens because of poor blood flow caused by the venom. The nitro helps prevent that.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Got bit by one working on deer stands a few summers ago. Thought my knee was going to rot off. Took several courses of different anti biotics to get it healed. Got bit on a Sunday and didn’t know it. Had an itch that night. By Tuesday it was pussing and oozing blood. Was traveling on business and it ruined a pair of dress pants on a flight from Boston to Houston. The Houston Urgent care and then pharmacy in the bad part of town in the middle of the night was a lot of fun

Once the anti biotics got it under control skin was sloughing off my knee for a month.

I had a bite that wouldn't heal for weeks so finally took a hot iron and burned off all the red inflamed tissue and it started healing almost immediately and was just a small scab after a few days.

The heat seems to neutralize the poison so the faster you can slap a hot iron on it the smaller will be the injury...then keep on fighting.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Say what you will about Pa.
I have never seen a Black Widow, and we are out of the Brown Recluse
zone. Ticks and our few skeeters and biting flies are enough for me.

You all can have you bugs and reptiles.
Our Timber rattlers and Copperheads are bad enough

Don’t get too comfortable. My bear camp is 38 miles south of the Canadian border, I was down helping a friend 40 miles south of here who was nailed by a recluse there. Wicked damage to his leg.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having recently replied to a similar OP and noting an experience with a Brown Recluse bite on my forehead right above and between my eyebrows, I will not repeat the painful details other than to say it was fortunate that it was not an area with deep flesh tissue (the venom did try to travel in the bloodstream) and even more fortunate that a lady ER doc in Los Alamos made a quick and specific diagnosis and used the Dexamethasone injection technique. Potential big trouble avoided.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 54 invisible), 2,931 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.