Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Agree about most Japanese optics but guess what? PRC these days for vortex...shifted to china

GOD Bless America
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BluMtn
I won't touch them with a 20' pole. I had one of their first Razor 12x50 razor bino's that I pre ordered when they were introduced.. I broke them, sent them in to see if they could be fixed. This was at the time they were coming out with the next generation of HD razors. I sent an Email asking if I could upgrade to the HD's and would be willing to pay for the upgrade. I was told that they would be sending me a replacement pair of original razors. I sent an email back to them reiterating that I would pay for an upgrade considering that Vortex was not making the original. I received a return email stating that they had some in the QA room that they used for testing. I had written the serial number of my binos down for my records. When I received my replacements I checked the serial number and it was an older serial number than I had sent in. At that point I put the binos up for sale, cancelled a order for several Vortex scopes that I had ordered, removed all my Vortex scopes that I had mounted on rifles, sold them, Sold my spotting scope. I no longer have anything that says Vortex on it. Bitter? you bet, I have no reason to do business with Vortex for any reason. Their life time warranty is nothing but a joke.

I had a somewhat similar experience with Leupold, except.....
When I offered to pay the difference for the upgrade they said "sure, no problem." I got the updated model at no charge.
Love Leupold's customer service.

Last edited by MickeyD; 04/30/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m pretty much in the same boat as everyone else I’ve sent one back no problem on the replacement. Own a cheap crossfire 4-12 on daughter’s target 243 & a viper on my 22-250 both are ok not great but perfectly functional.

I think that I have purchased my last Chinese optic - I think those 2 are all I’ve had & the viper might be Philippines anyway. In fact I’m going to go out of my way to avoid Chinese products.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There’s a lot better out there for the same price. Vortex is a marketing company that happens to sell optics. Primarily to flat brim hat wearing fanboys.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My 1st new rifle & scope in about 30 years, I got one of these Vortex 4-12x abominations on a rifle in a package deal. Really not impressed even a little. I realize it's a budget level scope but their coatings suck & it's just not very clear even on a good day. The eye relief window is really small & it's very unforgiving side to side as well even on 4x. Ancient Vari-X IIs were much nicer back in the '80s than this piece of junk. After seeing something this poor it's doubtful I would buy anything else they make. The rifle kinda sucks too, so methinks the whole mess is going DTFR. It'll shoot 1/2 MOdeer as long as the sun is behind me, so someone else may love it.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Poorly Made in China: An Insider's Account of the China Production Game

by Paul Midler

"An insider reveals what can—and does—go wrong when companies shift production to China

In this entertaining behind-the-scenes account, Paul Midler tells us all that is wrong with our effort to shift manufacturing to China. Now updated and expanded, Poorly Made in China reveals industry secrets, including the dangerous practice of quality fade—the deliberate and secret habit of Chinese manufacturers to widen profit margins through the reduction of quality inputs. U.S. importers don’t stand a chance,

Midler explains, against savvy Chinese suppliers who feel they have little to lose by placing consumer safety at risk for the sake of greater profit. This is a lively and impassioned personal account, a collection of true stories, told by an American who has worked in the country for close to two decades.

Poorly Made in China touches on a number of issues that affect us all."

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
"Made in China." That is the most nauseating, prideless, Anti-American statement you'll ever find on a product you paid good money for.

Some of these elite granola companies like Outdoor Research, sure are proud of their Chinese trash.

Suave marketing, inferior craftsmanship and materials, Made in China. It's everywhere.

If going for a budget model scope, it's hard to beat a Made in the USA Redfield.

$169 for a new Redfield 2-7. Take that China!

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 05/01/20.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by ErichTheRed
I'm thinking of getting a viper HD ED 8x42 binocular. $400-500 on Amazon

Why? For $429.99 we'll send you a Meopta Meopro

This! Why support communists?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ask Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Redfield, Sightron if there are any Chinese parts in their American-made scopes. I’m not justifying doing business with China, merely pointing out that it’s near impossible not to.

I don’t (currently) own any “made in China” scopes, but I do have Chinese red dot sights because you can’t get a red dot that doesn’t have Chinese electronics in it (maybe Aimpoint, but not likely). I’ll bet money there’s Chinese parts in the American made Trijicon MRO I own as well.

It would be great if Vortex didn’t make any optics in China but that doesn’t poison every other optic they touch.

"Pessimism never won any battle." - Dwight Eisenhower
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here’s what themadeinamericamovememt.com has to say about “Made in USA” labeling. Why don’t Reupold scopes say “Made in USA?” (I’ve attached a picture for reference.)

Made in USA
The product is assembled in the U.S. Most parts or materials are Made in USA. For a product to be called Made in USA, it must be “all or virtually all” made in the United States. This includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. territories. “All or virtually all” means that all significant parts and processing must be of U.S. origin. The product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.

Made in USA with Foreign & Domestic Components
Some materials or parts are Made in USA

Assembled in USA
Imported parts put together in the USA

Packaging displays U.S.A. Flag, U.S.A. Map, the words “U.S.A.” or “American” are part of the brand name
This is an implied statement of American origin. Look for the fine print to see where the product was actually made. Without such a statement it is questionable at best.

Attached Images
Last edited by SlimBlundt; 05/01/20.

"Pessimism never won any battle." - Dwight Eisenhower
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
I own one Vortex Viper scope that cost me around $450.

It has very poor optical quality, and I won't be buying any more of their scopes.

Fool me once......etc. etc.

What did Vortex offer to make it right with you?

I brought the scope back to the retailer, and let them know my thoughts.

The retailer said (essentially) that "nothing is broken", and sending it back to Vortex would not likely fix anything for me, other than to waste my time.

I wrote-that-one-off as a poor decision on my part to purchase it, and simply won't be buying more.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SlimBlundt
Ask Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Redfield, Sightron if there are any Chinese parts in their American-made scopes. I’m not justifying doing business with China, merely pointing out that it’s near impossible not to.

I don’t (currently) own any “made in China” scopes, but I do have Chinese red dot sights because you can’t get a red dot that doesn’t have Chinese electronics in it (maybe Aimpoint, but not likely). I’ll bet money there’s Chinese parts in the American made Trijicon MRO I own as well.

It would be great if Vortex didn’t make any optics in China but that doesn’t poison every other optic they touch.

True, a lot of items have components from China. Buying a product from China means you have no quality control of the components. Buying components from China, then inspecting and assembling in the USA gives greater control of the finished product. I’ll guarantee those Chinese scopes don’t use Japanese or German glass.

I own several mid level Vortex scopes. They are a good value on their half price sales. Vortex scopes are not worth their full sticker price, there is always a better optic at that price point.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have never owned or used a Vortex optic. That said, I believe we are being a little too hard on Vortex.

As long as they make a product that you are happy with and are willing to repair or replace it, then the guys who can't afford better may be happy with them.

I personally rather buy American first and German second if I can find the item I want.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I currently have eight, I think, Vortex products here: one from US, three from Japan, one from the Phillipines and three from China. I think they do really well against their competition in their price ranges.

ILya

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by koshkin
I've been to the factory and while they have significant warehouse space, but they have allocated a really substantial portion of it to manufacturing and keep on growing it. Also keep in mind that they are going for some really interesting military projects and if they win the production will be mostly done in the US.

A fairly significant portion of the campus is R&D and other labs. They do a lot of design there in WIsconsin and test a lot of OEM'ed scopes there as well.

In a nutshell, anything that says "AMG" is made in the US. For now, that is two products: 6-24x50 precision crossover scope and UH-1 holographic sight. Both are excellent.

The rest of the Razor riflescopes are made in Japan with final assembly on some of the models done in the US.

Golden Eagle scopes are also made in Japan.

Razor spotters are Chinese, but they take them apart and realign them in the US.

Razor UHD and Kaibab HD binos are made in Japan. The rest are, I think, made in China.

Anything riflescopes that say Viper or PST are made in Phillipines.

Diamondback riflescopes are also from the Philliipines.

Diamondback Tactical, Strike Eagle, etc are all from China.

If you do not like that they make a significant portion of their products in China, buy their US/Japanese/Phillipine products. It is nice to theorize that you do not want Chinese made products, but Vortex lives in a very competitive world. If they stop making products in China, other companies who do will simply take over their market share.

Plenty of companies simply lie about where their products are from. Vortex does not. They are very clear where different things are made.

Like any other company, they respond to market demand. If people buy more of their non-Chinese products, they will do more of their manufacturing outside of China.

Average Joe consumer is all anti-China until it is time to open up their wallet. Then, things change really quickly.

ILya

Good info, ILya. Thanks for the summary.

I'm not a big fan of Vortex, but have owned a few of their riflescopes and a Stokes Sandpiper.

I'm usually not interested in Vortex products, but am really impressed with the UHD binos, based on a quick look. Have you had a chance to try them?

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 05/01/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Quak
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Originally Posted by srwshooter

Originally Posted by cdb
When I was selling firearms part-time from 2014-2016 we could buy six Vortex optics a year for 60% off MSRP. Dealing with Vortex from a retailer perspective was a pleasure. They do have a great warranty, as so many Vortex owners state. The warranty has to be used way too often, as so many Vortex detractors state but it is true. I admire Vortex’ marketing strategy from the standpoint that it has been very successful for them.

At least one Razor model is assembled in Wisconsin. I have a Razor Mini Red Dot I’m happy with. The Crossfire II, Diamondback, Strike Eagle and Viper scope lines leave me singularly underwhelmed.

Actually there warranty SUCKS

*their*

Don’t be “that guy”

"that guy".

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Originally Posted by Quak
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Originally Posted by srwshooter

Originally Posted by cdb
When I was selling firearms part-time from 2014-2016 we could buy six Vortex optics a year for 60% off MSRP. Dealing with Vortex from a retailer perspective was a pleasure. They do have a great warranty, as so many Vortex owners state. The warranty has to be used way too often, as so many Vortex detractors state but it is true. I admire Vortex’ marketing strategy from the standpoint that it has been very successful for them.

At least one Razor model is assembled in Wisconsin. I have a Razor Mini Red Dot I’m happy with. The Crossfire II, Diamondback, Strike Eagle and Viper scope lines leave me singularly underwhelmed.

Actually there warranty SUCKS

*their*

Don’t be “that guy”

"that guy".

"that guy."

Do commas and periods go inside or outside quotation marks?

Commas and periods always go inside the quotation marks in American English; dashes, colons, and semicolons almost always go outside the quotation marks; question marks and exclamation marks sometimes go inside, sometimes stay outside.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/quotation-marks/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dammit!

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Like all companies certain models are great and some are not whether it is outboards or optics.

I like the Vortex Viper 2 x 7 which has been discontinued & the 3 X 9 Viper. Have a set of Razor 10 X binocs have been great so far.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
what’s the correct way to call someone a douchebag?

GOD Bless America
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 19 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 893 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.