Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Backroads
Rio makes a bass specific WF floating line for like 40 bucks. Get the 7wt and rock on.

That line, like most Rio lines (Gold for example) is a weight heavy. On a slow rod with big bass bugs I think the weight will work against you. I would suggest a 6wt in that line. Trying to keep a lot of line in the air with a slow rod and big bugs is much tougher with the slightest breeze. The Rio Bass has a short head and that makes a big difference.

Pay attention to this. It follows what I just posted.

As to the rest of the thread, I'll pass. Casting less than 40 feet is no big feat with about anything including a broom stick with fly line. Chuck a big fly 50-75 feet, I'd match line weight at distances cast to my rod. I'm not a fan of way under or overlining a fly rod.

I think I can pretty well tell what a fly rod will do without a scale. Have been seriously into fly-fishing most of my life and was a guide for a long time. I have also taught quite a few very good casters how to cast.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Start with a 7 wt if you find a place to try some lines.

Unless you are making long casts, at short & short-intermediate distances, being a tad overlined is not always a bad thing.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Line weight is a calculation of weight in grains that the first 30 feet of fly line weighs. When the line is a bit overweighted, it requires less of it out the tip of the rod to properly load said rod. If underlined, it will require more that the average 30 ft out the tip to load it.

So, If I don't have 30' of line out of the rod tip, then my rod is not going to load properly? I have a massive problem then as I use a 2wt line on a 2wt fiberglass rod, fishing pocket water at a grand total of 15' of distance from the fish. Doing the math, that means about 4' of line outside the rod tip. Yet it works a treat. The same rod/line combination works well fishing for bluegill at 30'. More math tells me there's less than 20' of line outside the tip. And yet I get nice happy loops with both dries and wets. Worse yet, the rod feels nicely loaded!!

Please tell me what am I doing wrong? I mean, your scales tell me I'm from significantly to impossibly underlined in these scenarios. Should I burn incense and leave an offering to Lefty, hoping that he will provide me with inspiration from the afterlife? My casting must be ultra fubared, if I can cast such an underlined rod. Too much slow, not enough fast? The inverse? Too wristy? Not sliding the hand on the shelf? I mean, what am I doing wrong?? Cuz I must be doing something wrong, if the load I have is so minimal, and yet it still works.

Awaiting your response eagerly,
Scott

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
probably limp wristing it and dropping your tip Maybe try a shooting head on it for more control. grin

Love my 2 wt Scott fiber touch rod. Ive even underweighted my fiberglass rods.

Is Rio finally making a decent line? I dropped rio lines about 10 years ago.

Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Line weight is a calculation of weight in grains that the first 30 feet of fly line weighs. When the line is a bit overweighted, it requires less of it out the tip of the rod to properly load said rod. If underlined, it will require more that the average 30 ft out the tip to load it.

So, If I don't have 30' of line out of the rod tip, then my rod is not going to load properly? I have a massive problem then as I use a 2wt line on a 2wt fiberglass rod, fishing pocket water at a grand total of 15' of distance from the fish. Doing the math, that means about 4' of line outside the rod tip. Yet it works a treat. The same rod/line combination works well fishing for bluegill at 30'. More math tells me there's less than 20' of line outside the tip. And yet I get nice happy loops with both dries and wets. Worse yet, the rod feels nicely loaded!!

Please tell me what am I doing wrong? I mean, your scales tell me I'm from significantly to impossibly underlined in these scenarios. Should I burn incense and leave an offering to Lefty, hoping that he will provide me with inspiration from the afterlife? My casting must be ultra fubared, if I can cast such an underlined rod. Too much slow, not enough fast? The inverse? Too wristy? Not sliding the hand on the shelf? I mean, what am I doing wrong?? Cuz I must be doing something wrong, if the load I have is so minimal, and yet it still works.

Scott

grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Scott

In a perfect World...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
RIO makes some great lines. I got jacked up on the fast rod hype and really like the RIO half weight heavier lines for Bass and Coastal fishing. Using big bugs for bass and on the Gulf a ten mile and hour wind is a good day. The heavier weight lines slow down the faster rods so they suite me better.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The heavy for weight lines work well for new, fast rods.............doesn't work so well for older, slower, softer rods.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

C
C
That sums it up!😄

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I always start with the same line weight as the rod suggests. Then I go from there. I have a 8wt G-Loomis Crosscurrent that is ok with several 8 wt lines I tried but is a great performer with a 9 wt line. My other rods all do great with the suggested line weight. For some reason I fought lining up on that rod but glad I did.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,376
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.