Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Only have one 28 right now. AyA Matador. It's my go to gun!

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I only have one it's a Ruger Red label. Got it for a song at a shop in Redding Ca. It was a trade in from a guy that used it as his skeet gun and it was worn out. Took a chance that Ruger would work on it.

When I got it the lever at closed was at 6:45 and considerable play in the action and the rib rattled worse than any other Ruger and they're all bad.

I called Ruger customer service and asked the nice lady if they would give me an estimate for repairs if I sent it in. She said sure thing and emailed a shipping label and would call me back after they got the gun.

A couple of weeks later the rep from Ruger called and asked me if I would talk to the tech working on the gun. Sure thing I replied but had a sinking feeling the gun was toast. The service tech sounded like a nice young girl and said work was progressing well on the gun and chided me for complaining about the rib but she would fix it.

I thanked her and asked to direct me back to the cust service gal. Kinda freaked out because I wanted an estimate first before approving the work. Jaw dropped when she told me no charge and they were happy to do it. I reminded her that I bought it used and worn out and would compensate them for the work and parts. She wasn't having any of it.

Happy Ruger customer, must be why I have so many. Sorry so long winded here it is with completely new internals.

[Linked Image from oi723.photobucket.com]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JLimbo
I only have one it's a Ruger Red label. Got it for a song at a shop in Redding Ca. It was a trade in from a guy that used it as his skeet gun and it was worn out. Took a chance that Ruger would work on it.

When I got it the lever at closed was at 6:45 and considerable play in the action and the rib rattled worse than any other Ruger and they're all bad.

I called Ruger customer service and asked the nice lady if they would give me an estimate for repairs if I sent it in. She said sure thing and emailed a shipping label and would call me back after they got the gun.

A couple of weeks later the rep from Ruger called and asked me if I would talk to the tech working on the gun. Sure thing I replied but had a sinking feeling the gun was toast. The service tech sounded like a nice young girl and said work was progressing well on the gun and chided me for complaining about the rib but she would fix it.

I thanked her and asked to direct me back to the cust service gal. Kinda freaked out because I wanted an estimate first before approving the work. Jaw dropped when she told me no charge and they were happy to do it. I reminded her that I bought it used and worn out and would compensate them for the work and parts. She wasn't having any of it.

Happy Ruger customer, must be why I have so many. Sorry so long winded here it is with completely new internals.

[Linked Image from oi723.photobucket.com]

Hard to not like a company that’s takes good care of its customers.

Thanks for sharing. Nice shotgun.

DF

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Remington 1100 Sporting Clays Model. It’s deadly on dove and quail.

If I was to ever buy another 28 ga automatic, it would definitely be the Benelli Ultralight.

Exactly my thought.

The Benelli would be nice, but a Remington 1100 is still an 1100,. For a cheaper 28, I like my Turkish Mossberg. Heavy trigger, which can be fixed, but nice, light, properly-sized gun. A few steps or maybe half the track ahead of an 1100 in my opinion. I think I paid less than $500 for mine, which is an added bonus

Hunting bud got a 28 ga. Turkish “Benelli” and likes it. Forget what name brand they stamped on it. Light, handy gun. Deadly on doves, but he’s a pretty good shot. Gun does its part.

DF

I think the Mossberg is closer to a Beretta in design. Both Weatherby and Mossberg have marketed them under the SA designation

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Originally Posted by GF1
Perazzi MX28B, 30” bbls, choked .010”/.018”, POW grip, slight forward bias weight distribution. Love the thing, weighs 6# on the nose.

If my recollection is correct, that was Dick Cheney's favorite quail gun too.

That’s correct, except that his was an SCO. About $40k.

And if I remember correctly, the bottom barrel was choked Improved Lawyer.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I think that ruger red label is just what I am look for haha. That is really a beautiful shotgun.

And speaks a lot for ruger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If I was to ever buy another 28 ga automatic, it would definitely be the Benelli Ultralight.

Exactly my thought.

The Benelli would be nice, but a Remington 1100 is still an 1100,. For a cheaper 28, I like my Turkish Mossberg. Heavy trigger, which can be fixed, but nice, light, properly-sized gun. A few steps or maybe half the track ahead of an 1100 in my opinion. I think I paid less than $500 for mine, which is an added bonus

Never have had an 1100 and I like their looks, but in my dotage have become fairly dogmatic about the gauges and their approximate weights and scale for game guns. 6 1/2 lbs for a 28 is at least 3/4 lbs too heavy and arguably a whole lb or more.

A 28 SA doesn’t need a recoil mitigating gas system. In the game fields, IMO, a gas-operated 28 is an anachronism. Fo me, same goes for the 20 mostly.

Clay target competitions are a different story.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 05/04/20.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Exactly my thought.

Never have had an 1100 and I like their looks, but in my dotage have become fairly dogmatic about the gauges and their approximate weights and scale for game guns. 6 1/2 lbs for a 28 is at least 3/4 lbs too heavy and arguably a whole lb or more.

A 28 SA doesn’t need a recoil mitigating gas system. In the game fields, IMO, a gas-operated 28 is an anachronism. Fo me, same goes for the 20 mostly.

Clay target competitions are a different story.

I like my 28 ga. 1100. It handles well, kills above its weight class...

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don’t tempt me. 🙂 As I said I like their looks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

DF, I’m a lefty and learned to not buy “left hand” shotguns because I’m a trader and a re-seller. So I pay attention to safeties on SA’s and if they are the plunger type, they must be fairly easily reversible.

Remingtons were until I think maybe 15 years ago. Now you have replace them with an aftermarket safety — at least that’s the case with the 1100’s.

I’m sure our litigious culture has a lot to do with it but Benelli still makes it easy-peasy. I applaud them for that among a lot of other things.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
George, Benelli is a great design, hard to beat.

I just don't have one in 28 ga. I do have a 12 ga....

Those who have them really seem to like them, me included.

DF

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The 28 G. does not get the respect it deserves. It is hard hitting often very light, and fast.

I have several , Including a Merkel , Al 48 Deluxe with a straight stock, simliar to one posted earlier , couple older Berettas . The Berettas trigger

guard jams my hand when firing. A couple Berettas in 20 G. do this also..

Pic is a Merkel 280 EL in a true 28 G. frame. I try to be careful dragging it through the brush Grouse hunting. I will use it and enjoy . My heirs can deal

with any history the scatter gun accumulates.

Attached Images
wm_4159683.jpg (48.75 KB, 437 downloads)
wm_4159677.jpg (49.59 KB, 435 downloads)
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Very nice double gun there, cisco.

I like it. Bet it shoots as good as it looks.

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by battue
One shooting TSS shot, because it turns it into LW 12Gauge.....

That's what I shot a gobbler with 28 ga 1 3/8 9s Apex TSS. They weren't working well, so had to do a 200 yard sneak across open pasture to get a long shot, but it worked. It was far enough my brother thought I was nuts, but he's dead!

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
How on earth do you get 1 3/8 oz in a 28 gauge shell?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by GF1

It's tungsten super shot, it's about 70% heavier than lead if I remember correctly. You shoot 9's on turkeys, they weigh almost the same as lead 5's except there's a lot more of them! A 2 oz load of lead 5's has 340 pellets, a 28 ga load of 9's TSS has I think almost 500. They weigh the same so penetration and energy are pretty much identical. Unfortunately they aren't cheap, but you don't fire several hundred a year at gobblers.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
By the way, I currently hunt mostly with a Ugartechea 28 sxs, and have another Beretta A400 28 ga.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jstevens
Originally Posted by GF1

It's tungsten super shot, it's about 70% heavier than lead if I remember correctly. You shoot 9's on turkeys, they weigh almost the same as lead 5's except there's a lot more of them! A 2 oz load of lead 5's has 340 pellets, a 28 ga load of 9's TSS has I think almost 500. They weigh the same so penetration and energy are pretty much identical. Unfortunately they aren't cheap, but you don't fire several hundred a year at gobblers.

Can you load TSS rounds, or do you have to buy'em?

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by jstevens
Originally Posted by GF1

Can you load TSS rounds, or do you have to buy'em?

DF

You can load them, but it doesn't save much money. the 28's are about 7 bucks a pop, but the shot costs $220 for 5 pounds. You have about $4 a round just in shot, no wads, no powder, no primers, and assuming you never mess up one. I shot a 24 pound gobbler with the 28 ga and factory full barrel at exactly 80 yards. I know it sounds nuts, but keep in mine the energy per pellet is the same as a 5 and there are 150 more pellets than a 2 oz load of 5 lead.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Have you broken a tooth yet, biting down on one of those small, very hard pieces of shot...?

That would be my concern, using TSS on game that I'm going to eat.

DF

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.