24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6.5MM Creedmoor is proven on elk to over 500 yds.

How far are you planning on shooting?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Well, don't hold out John. What bullet did you use, and I'm wondering if you copied S&W performance center or did they copy you? Nice rifle and nice bull... Looks like a perfect shot too..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep, really nice.

I shot one that scored 380 and that one looks pretty similar. What was the final score?

Lots of mass.

Good eating.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
BSA,

"The 338 wm was made for killing elk."

Interesting statement--and partly true. But the .338 was actually made decent penetration with cup-and-core bullets, even though Nosler Partitions existed back then. Most hunters had no clue about how much Partitions improved the penetration of lighter, smaller bullets in smaller cartridges--especially the true believers of Elmer Keith. Which is apparently why some hunters (though fewer and fewer) believe the .338 is absolutely necessary for "tough angling shots" on elk.

Have killed quite a few big game animals with the .338, from deer-size game to Alaskan moose to eland. It's a fine round, but not anywhere close to necessary these days for killing elk.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Are cup and core bullets better than they used to be?

IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
He’s not shooting 6 a year himself dumb ass.

One of the most “decisive “ elk kills I’ve seen was with a 243, guess it was made for killing elk.

Nuff said.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by R_Walter
I see elk all the time on my ranch. I get landowner tags for 6 bulls every year. I'm 3 miles from the Jicarilla and about the same from the SFNF. I've killed many bulls and one is silly to use a cartridge like the 338WM. Elk can be killed efficiently with most 30 caliber rounds.

I can kill an elk with a 22lr too, so who the fu ck cares if you think using a 338 is "silly"?... Is every cartridge silly, if you can use a lesser cartridge to kill something? We might as well all just use a 223 rem, if we all thought that way. The 338 wm was made for killing elk. It does a damn fine job at it too. The main thing I've noticed about the 338wm, is it decisively puts them down. If I were in your position, though, I'd be using every cartridge I could, just to make things interesting. 6 bull tags a year? Damn, must be nice... I have to work my azz off to find them, while you can just sit in your field and pick them off like nothing.. Where I'm hunting (4% success rate area in public land), I don't want them to run off very far, or someone else is likely going to tag my bull. I use a 338wm.. Nuff said..

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Looks like a rough hunt...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm guessing John Burns will say factory ammo - 130 VLD hybrid in the Federal Gold Metal Berger line.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

“Not necessary”.....very true! But spare tires, insurance, seat belts are not “necessary”.....but are pretty darn nice to have for that “unexpected” situation! Just saying! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
No, it's more like a suburbanite driving a Peterbilt bobtail as his commuter vehicle in the rat race, you know just in case he ever has the need to pull something....

Just like 300 WM and 338WM shooters, I would say 9 out of 10 suburbanites can't drive a Peterbilt.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
No, it's more like a suburbanite driving a Peterbilt bobtail as his commuter vehicle in the rat race, you know just in case he ever has the need to pull something....

Just like 300 WM and 338WM shooters, I would say 9 out of 10 suburbanites can't drive a Peterbilt.

Nah, more and more are equipped with automatics...

Other than wrapping it around a telephone pole, they could probably drive it...

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
BSA,

"The 338 wm was made for killing elk."

Interesting statement--and partly true. But the .338 was actually made decent penetration with cup-and-core bullets, even though Nosler Partitions existed back then. Most hunters had no clue about how much Partitions improved the penetration of lighter, smaller bullets in smaller cartridges--especially the true believers of Elmer Keith. Which is apparently why some hunters (though fewer and fewer) believe the .338 is absolutely necessary for "tough angling shots" on elk.

Have killed quite a few big game animals with the .338, from deer-size game to Alaskan moose to eland. It's a fine round, but not anywhere close to necessary these days for killing elk.

John, assuming one uses a 200gr Nosler Partition in the 300 and a 210 in the 338, which one is more decisive on game like elk, grizzly/brown bears and moose? How both compared to a 375 H&H?
The only reason I ask is my father used all of the above rounds and said he thought the 300 might kill a little quicker than the 338, but that the 375 had an edge on both of them. Most of his hunting was with african game.

Last edited by BWalker; 05/26/20.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here's my quickie Campfire version: Have not been able to see any difference between the .300 with 200 Partitions and .338 with 210s--except 200s from the .300 penetrate noticeably deeper. In general, yes, the .375 (or similar rounds, such as a 9.3x62 loaded to modern pressures) does have an edge. But a lot depends on where you hit them, and many hunters don't differentiate between "bone" shots and rib heart-lung shots.

For the longer version, you might want to read my chapter on killing power in Gun Gack II.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The 416 Rem is well proven.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In general, yes, the .375 (or similar rounds, such as a 9.3x62 loaded to modern pressures) does have an edge. But a lot depends on where you hit them, and many hunters don't differentiate between "bone" shots and rib heart-lung shots.

JB, would you include the 35 Whelen, as having an edge as well?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Maybe, though haven't seen it used nearly as much as the .338 and 9.3x62. Though have seen even smaller .35s, from the .35 Remington to .358 Winchester, used on deer-to-elk sized game quite a bit, and they do appear to have an edge over smaller calibers. But again, that seems to be an overall trend, not an every-time thing, and also depends of course on the bullet used and shot placement.

A couple examples of extremes.

Once shot a whitetail doe shot at about 50 yards with a .35 Remington, using the factory 200-grain Core-Lokt ammo, the deer quartering toward me. I aimed at the shoulder, and at the shot the deer did the little heart-shot leap, then disappeared into the thick woods right next to it. I expected a blood trail, but didn't find one. But I knew the bullet had hit the deer, and probably right where I aimed, even the factory open sights on my Marlin 336. This took place on top of a ridge, so I started transecting the opposite slope, an hour later finding the deer dead close to 100 yards below the ridge--hit right where I'd aiming, the bullet breaking the shoulder and going through the lungs and top of the heart before exiting the rear of the ribs. Did not find any blood trail until I'd already seen the dead deer.

A hunting partner in Africa shot a big Burchell's zebra at around 150 yards with his .375 H&H, using a handloaded 260-grain Nosler AccuBond at around 2800 fps. The zebra stood broadside, and he put the bullet in the shoulder, right behind the big joint. The stallion ran off, falling after 200 yards, with both lungs pretty much destroyed, and the bullet expanded perfectly under the hide on the far side, retaining 85% of its original weight. Have seen a bunch of other "elk-sized" African animals shot with the .375 and a similar load, whether 260 AccuBonds or other good 260-270 grain bullets, and when hit right none has more than half as far before falling. But that one did.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks JB.

I've been interested in the thinking that somewhere around .35 caliber and up, rifle cartridges have more killing power. I've heard anecdotal reports over the years from various people. And I think Nathan Foster has written about it.

Jason

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
yer all wrong, in 1975 i gunned my first of many big bores, 152 guntube launcher. M551a1. I have to admit its kinda funny to watch out of state hunters bring the biggest thing they have and end up eating tag soup. I still have the 1896 30-40 krag my grandfather used on elk. Have they gotten more armored or folks just to lazy or dont know how to hunt anymore.most folks i know here in eastern orygun use calibers from 6.5 to 30-06. Hell i have a new old winchester 670 300wm, never ever scoped it never fired it just donr need it.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I do admit we hunt only private land

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
300 win with 180 grain bullets that your gun likes your all set, have fun, dont pay any attention to the wise guys here!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
768 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 87 invisible), 2,849 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.