-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am intrigued by the battery trimmers and saws, especially for the convenience factor. That being said, if they are anything like battery shop tools, the cost of batteries going bad will far outweigh any trouble out of a gas machine.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well, I just got back our local Stihl dealer. They had some pretty good manufacture coupons downloaded from online and redeemed at the store. Picked-up their FS 70-R string trimmer for $269.95, marked down from $339.95. Also Picked-up their MS-170 chainsaw with 20" bar and chain assembled for $159.95, a $20 discount. Then a Protective gear kit... for $99, marked down from $149.95.

Of course by the time I added in two-cycle oil, bar oil, a better head for the string trimmer, and a spool of line, all the savings were eaten up. All toll it all came to $745.

Pretty good Saturday morning... my first time out with the face mask and gloves. Pretty much haven't been out of the house in going on 3 months.

Phil

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
Run only Stihl oil and have never drained or ran the carb dry during the winter .

+1. Started up last week with 3-4 pulls after 6 months hibernation.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Picked-up their MS-170 chainsaw with 20" bar and chain

I don’t think so.
That’s a 30cc saw.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have 4 Stihl gas power tools. I use stihl oil and real gasoline. Never been any ethanol in any of them. They all run great and I never have had to have any service done. I store them full of fuel.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KFWA
replacement carb on my stihl was like $18. Just 2 screws and about 15 minutes worth of effort.

+1. After 9 years my Echo got hard to start and ordered a new carb off ebay. It was around $18...couple screws, couple lines to hook up and problem solved.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took the advice of a lawncare business owner and purchased a Stihl 45 trimmer and xtra polycut head new in 2007 and has served me well. I use it extensively on my three farms around the houses and outbuildings where I can't get a lawnmower or bush hog to. Store with a full tank of non-ethanol gas that has been treated with Seafoam. Seafoam is always mixed with the gas.

This spring first cold start was 4 plunges on bulb, 3 pulls with choke, one cough, move to run and pull, fire and trim.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
I buy the premixed fuel, my troubles ended when I did that.

Tried those....pull pull pull pull

You get the story

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by roundoak
I took the advice of a lawncare business owner and purchased a Stihl 45 trimmer and xtra polycut head new in 2007 and has served me well. I use it extensively on my three farms around the houses and outbuildings where I can't get a lawnmower or bush hog to. Store with a full tank of non-ethanol gas that has been treated with Seafoam. Seafoam is always mixed with the gas.

This spring first cold start was 4 plunges on bulb, 3 pulls with choke, one cough, move to run and pull, fire and trim.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I do the same except for the full tank thing, just leave it the way I last use it
My trimmer starts the same as you described and has for many years, as have my two Stihl chainsaws and a leaf blower.
Never ethanol and always treated gas.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by K1500
I am intrigued by the battery trimmers and saws, especially for the convenience factor. That being said, if they are anything like battery shop tools, the cost of batteries going bad will far outweigh any trouble out of a gas machine.

I hear what you are saying. However, I am a construction guy and have built 5 houses by myself. Twenty years ago, I turned away from nails and bought my first DeWalt cordless drill and started shooting screws. I hardly even use nails any more.
My current drill is a 14 volt I bought 12 years ago and it is still a champ. I have 10 year old batteries that still work great.

But time will tell. I just used my new Kobalt weed eater and lawn mower today for 40 minutes and it is a delight to run these machines and not have to put up with the hassles of gasoline and oil etc. These machines are just 6 weeks old but, so far, get 5 Gold Stars. Time will tell.
If the batteries are half as good as 10 year old DeWalt batteries then, these yard tools are as Good as Gold.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Store them with full tanks of aviation fuel and your problems will go away.
I cant. Believe the problems guys have with simple outdoor power equipment engines.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Have run an old (pre-Echo buyout), solid shaft Shindiawa T242 trimmer for nearly 2 decades. Looked at all the other big names (Honda, Stihl, Husky, etc.) but then walked into the local shop that served many of the area landscapers and he had a Shinny engine milled with it's guts exposed next to some of the other "name" brands. Damn thing was built like a Rolex, two rings instead of one, chrome-lined bore, beautiful cylinder casting and machining on the crank. Said there's a reason all the landscapers run them and showed me what brands he had hanging in his shop awaiting repair. Mine gets used hard on more than 20-acres for 6 month/year. Ethanol-free fuel w/ 2-cycle Tanaka oil seems to keep the spark arrestor screen clean and internals nicely lubed. Empty out fuel each fall and run her dry. She never fails to fire up with just a few pulls every spring and did it yet again a few days ago. The Turfgro Vortex trimmer line is the best I've run. Very smooth running, quiet and doesn't break. This setup is a pleasure to use....

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have two Husqvarna units. great trimmers.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"Have run an old (pre-Echo buyout), solid shaft Shindiawa T242 trimmer for nearly 2 decades.

My Shindaiwa T260 lasted 18 years. Last summer I forgot to the replace the foam air filter. The old filter went to pieces and got sucked into the engine. After that it sucked a small stick or rock into the engine and the piston hit it closing the spark plug gap. It also damaged the piston or rings because it only like 20 psi compression after that. I bought a new T262 Shindaiwa that's almost identical to my old T260 except the T262 has a much better air filter set up, a paper filter with a foam pre-filter. I guess there's a still a few new Shindaiwas around, for sale, I found mine in Virginia. If you at ,look at some of the new Echo trimmers you'll find that they are actually identical to Shindaiwa trimmers. The company that owns Echo bought the Shindaiwa factory so I can still get parts for my trimmer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One point in favor of the Echo on paper is that they are all ‘pro’ saws and trimmers in the sense that they have two ring engines, etc as was said of the shindawa above. The other brands really have two levels of build, and the ‘pro’ costs quite a bit more. Echo also has a 5 year consumer warranty, longer than many new cars. The only echo I own is nearly 40 years old, but I would look real close at a new echo saw should the need arise.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Small engine carbs are usually pretty cheap. I’ve replaced several instead of fiddle fugging with them.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I just bought a carb off Ebay for $13 new shipped for my Stihl FS80. HAI SCROLLED DOWN A LITTLE they have carb kits with spark plug, gaskets,line and other stuff for a few bucks more. Supposed to be here Friday. Weeds should be ready by then... right ? Tried the Seafoam trick and nothing. Ray

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tstorm1
Originally Posted by KFWA
replacement carb on my stihl was like $18. Just 2 screws and about 15 minutes worth of effort.

+1. After 9 years my Echo got hard to start and ordered a new carb off ebay. It was around $18...couple screws, couple lines to hook up and problem solved.

25 year old Echo trimmer just got an eBay carb this year and runs great again. $15 got a carb, spark plug, three fuel filters and three priming bulbs plus new fuel lines. Maybe took twenty minutes to switch out carb and filters. Now, the trimmer head is in pretty rough shape and the shaft isn't exactly great but maybe there's a year or two left in this trimmer. I never worried about fuel stored in the tank as long as it was stablized.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use exclusivly the Stihl 2 cycle oil in my Stih trimmer. It has never failed to start on the second or third pull in the spring in 8 or 9 years. Carb has never been off it. I've had amazing luck with that oil and rec gas. I use it in every 2 cycle i own. Guess I'm lucky because mine has been an anvil. Never flooded once. Hell its still got the original plug in it.

Last edited by k20350; 05/03/20.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
SOOO, I got the carb... put it on and put some gas in it and it popped and died first pull...……. then it got ugly and has been nothing but a head ache since. I have had it adjusted so it would start, run wide open and idle and I figured I had it ready to go. I went in and put new string on it and greased the cutter head and it won' start. Been screwing with it for 3 days and no luck. Know a guy that ran a stihl shop for several years. Hope he can keep me from running over it with the truck. Ray

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

418 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 163bc, 33 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,026 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.