Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
JORGE01 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thank you all for the answers to my questions. But I have a few more.

1-The Ruger Scout rifle has aluminum pillars that bed the two (2) action screws in order to improve accuracy. Do any of you have experience taking the rifle apart and when put back together does it return to field rifle zero? By that I mean coming within an inch or so from the original point of aim.

2-The Steyr Mannlicher rifle of the early 20th century could be purchased in a takedown model. This was done by pushing a pin in the stock and then lifting the barrel with the action to shorten the overall length. The stock had a steel block at the wrist that the action mated to. Do you think this system equal or superior to taking down a rifle with either bedding pillars or an aluminum block, in terms of returning to zero?

In other words repeatability of accuracy after repeated takedown and reassembly.

Thanks again.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think it comes down to the individual rifle as far as repeatability, many systems will work if done properly. Have not tried the Ruger or the Styr so no help there.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by SCgman1
I have always leaned toward aluminum bedding blocked stocks since acquiring my first TC Icon many years ago. The icon experience for me was that good. For me, I think a big reason for alum block or pillar bedding is to provide a consistent material to torque action screws against for repeatable reassembly stock pressure. Free floating the barrel is another, but too many folks still skim coat blocks for increased accuracy to think bedding blocks alone deliver optimum accuracy. Just my rationale, I do not claim to know thit from thynola in the grand scheme of bedding techniques.

I’ve acquired an Icon as well. Easily the best shooting rifle I’ve ever owned or been a witness to. I’m disappointed when it shoots a 5 shot group larger than 3/8ths at 100yards. (It’s skim bedded)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a 7mm/08 I had in a Bell and Carlson stock with an aluminum bedding block. Accuracy improved after I skim bedded it.
I found a take off LVSF stock for it, bedded it, and moved it over to it and have hunted with it in that stock for about 6 years.
I recently picked up a Magpul bottom metal and aics magazine for it, and decided to inlet the original stock for it. When I finally had it done, cleaned up and torqued down, I took it to the range to check zero. First three rounds, in he black, at 200. After years in another stock.

So in my opinion, skim bed the aluminum bedding block.

TANSTAAFL
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Crowkiller
I have a 7mm/08 I had in a Bell and Carlson stock with an aluminum bedding block. Accuracy improved after I skim bedded it.
I found a take off LVSF stock for it, bedded it, and moved it over to it and have hunted with it in that stock for about 6 years.
I recently picked up a Magpul bottom metal and aics magazine for it, and decided to inlet the original stock for it. When I finally had it done, cleaned up and torqued down, I took it to the range to check zero. First three rounds, in he black, at 200. After years in another stock.

So in my opinion, skim bed the aluminum bedding block.

I've never used a rifle with one of those in it. But, I can't see how a bit of bedding would hurt it. Manufacturer's can't make stock that fit every barreled action they make perfectly why would you think any better could be done with a different type bedding surface? I have a 700 that came in a plastic stock. I think the plastic was poured around the barreled action it fit so tight. Didn't shoot at all so I cut out everything till I could drop the barrel action in and remove it easily then bedded the thing Got done and it shot great. It seem's to me that each barreled action is not exactly the same but rather within tolerances which would mean to me, most are different. Think of what we do to get a fired case to fit out chamber rather than the SAMMI chamber. The difference is chamber's are cut to tolerances. I suspect aluminum bedding blocks and plastic stocksare too.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
For those who missed my post on the Ruger American bedding blocks, and how a 6.5 Creedmoor shot without any "skim" bedding, here's another example--but of a Franchi Momentum, also a 6.5 Creedmoor, with Hornady factory ammo at 300 (not 100) yards. There was a slight left-hand breeze, the reason the 4-shot group is a little right of the aiming point.

[Linked Image]

And here's a look at the "bedding blocks," which have some resemblance to those of the Ruger posted earlier--except the rear "block" isn't a V, but flat support for the tang--and front V fits into slots on the underside of the receiver.The Franchi was not skim-bedded either--and both rifles use full-diameter, 3-lug bolts.

[Linked Image]

Both rifles (and some others with similar bedding blocks I've tested in recent years) are why I am beginning to suspect the typical standard recoil-lug system may not be the best for accuracy--especially with a larger bedding block, right out of the box.

The Franchi, by the way, is yet another of those inexpensive factory rifles that shoot extremely well. Have tested more than one of them as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
For those who missed my post on the Ruger American bedding blocks, and how a 6.5 Creedmoor shot without any "skim" bedding, here's another example--but of a Franchi Momentum, also a 6.5 Creedmoor, with Hornady factory ammo at 300 (not 100) yards. There was a slight left-hand breeze, the reason the 4-shot group is a little right of the aiming point.

[Linked Image]

And here's a look at the "bedding blocks," which have some resemblance to those of the Ruger posted earlier--except the rear "block" isn't a V, but flat support for the tang--and front V fits into slots on the underside of the receiver.The Franchi was not skim-bedded either--and both rifles use full-diameter, 3-lug bolts.

[Linked Image]

Both rifles (and some others with similar bedding blocks I've tested in recent years) are why I am beginning to suspect the typical standard recoil-lug system may not be the best for accuracy--especially with a larger bedding block, right out of the box.

The Franchi, by the way, is yet another of those inexpensive factory rifles that shoot extremely well. Have tested more than one of them as well.

The Franchi does shoot! Coincidentally, my first stab at the Creedmoor. What type of ammo John? Mine doesn’t shoot quite that well. I have no intention of loading for this one either.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hornady 143 ELD-X Precision Hunter--which worked great on a pair of big-bodied mule deer bucks taken by me and my hunting partner in New Mexico.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
As an addendum to my posts with photos of "new age" bedding blocks, I suspect the reason some (not all) bedding blocks for conventional bolt actions like the Remington 700 and Winchester 70 is the blocks have LOTS of contact with the action. And of course actions vary in dimensions slightly.

The trend I have seen with newer actions is far smaller bedding blocks, which thus have less contact with the action--which means epoxy-bedding will also have less effect. And as somebody already mentioned, the actions themselves are often far stiffer.

Offhand I can't remember how many newer rifles use this type of smaller "bedding block" (which may not even look like what many define as a bedding block), but would guess the total would be at least 10, both American and European. Have yet to be disappointed in the accuracy of any.

Of course, this often also involves better factory barrels, often hammer-forged.

John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.