Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My knee is on the mend but I want to try a compression sleeve to keep swelling down and for support.

I screwed my knee up at the gym and was dealing with it and then really screwed it by getting out of my redneck jacked up truck right before a turkey hunt.

Orthopedic doc said he did not see anything wrong in xray and said come back in 6 weeks for a MRI if it still hurts. Told me to wear a compression stocking but that thing is a bitch getting on. About done with that.

See ads for copper infused sleves, which I think is bullcrap as far as copper doing anything. Not against buying one though.

Have any that you use and like?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I got one a several weeks ago. My left knee was hurting, didn't injure it that I'm aware of, but hurt is hurt. I got a "Copper Fit" knee sleeve from WallyWorld. Been wearing it daily while doing stuff, and I can really feel it has helped.I have hardly any pain there anymore, but I'm still wearing it for a while longer. Don't know what the difference is between the different models they sell, I bought the cheap one, 10 bucks. Worth a try.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The copper keeps it from smelling bad and having some folks saying that it helps with arthritis.

Just having the compression thing going on is a relief for some injuries.

The wife broke her arms in high school and wears copper bracelets on both arms.

Really helps her.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I got the TKR years ago. The nice Nurse Practitioner lady told me I needed to wear that compression stocking from now on.
I put it on every day for a couple hours and it helps a lot. Yes it is hard to put on.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I tore the right meniscus while climbing a Wyoming mountain (elk hunting) in fall, 2017.

Foot wedged between two boulders, jerked to get it free. Separation and tear.

Doc/surgeon said he thought it was an outside tear, it wasn’t. Lopped off smallest portion of tear. Knee replacement in future, no cordo shots required just yet.

Sleeve helps....but still hurts after an active day up and down.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have bad knees and wear one of those elastic knee braces (no Metal) you can buy from wally world or Target that you can stretch the Velcro straps around your leg/knee for about $20. They do help when I have pain or am having to do a lot of up and down stairs. A cold pack before the swelling starts will help present swelling but if it is already swollen then use a heating pad and elevating that knee/leg for 20- 30 minutes will help reduce the swelling. Good luck on recovering your knee.

PS I am currently rehabbing my Rt knee after a complete tear of my quadriceps tendon/ meniscus tear/repair in Oct. Really miss going to the gym to work on that.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
I tore the right meniscus while climbing a Wyoming mountain (elk hunting) in fall, 2017.

Doc/surgeon said he thought it was an outside tear, it wasn’t. Lopped off smallest portion of tear. Knee replacement in future, no cordo shots required just yet.

What a dumb fuqk... Bet you didn't get your Bull either...Been walking long?

Coyotes shot no waiting.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Where the compression stocking, it will work better than one just for knee and sleep with them on a few days.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
My knee is on the mend but I want to try a compression sleeve to keep swelling down and for support.

I screwed my knee up at the gym and was dealing with it and then really screwed it by getting out of my redneck jacked up truck right before a turkey hunt.

Orthopedic doc said he did not see anything wrong in xray and said come back in 6 weeks for a MRI if it still hurts. Told me to wear a compression stocking but that thing is a bitch getting on. About done with that.

See ads for copper infused sleves, which I think is bullcrap as far as copper doing anything. Not against buying one though.

That's the thing about "the best medical care in the world".

Come back in 6 weeks if it still hurts.. Surprised they didn't prescribe 6 weeks of PT too, 2x per week minimum, so you could pay your $25-$30 co-pay every visit, adding up to hundreds of $$$ out of your pocket, and you get to live in pain for 6 weeks+ until you get an MRI only to find out you have a torn meniscus or screwed up ligament(s).

I've had that lovely experience more than once, the insurance company still had to pay for the MRI/CT imaging AND they had to pay the majority of the PT costs (minus my hundreds of $$$ of co-pays) , and extra visits to the primary physician and ortho doc to boot.

Seems they'd save money just getting the good imaging done on the first go round if the x-rays don't show anything. Obviously, if one is hurting, there must be some damage somewhere, like in the soft tissues? Wouldn't it be nice to know it really is just a sprain/strain and not a tear? And if it is a tear, wouldn't it be nice to get it addressed sooner than later?

Makes about as much sense as going to the mechanic with a front end shake and them saying "We'll balance the tires for now. Come back in 6 weeks and we'll take a look at the front end for a bad tie rod end, leaky shock, or bad ball joint. We don't want to get under the car right now"

But if it helps, wear the compression sleeve and go back in 6 weeks.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Compression sleeves on my knees have helped get around more than once. Twisted my knee out hunting elk one time about 2 miles from camp and alone. Made it back finally using my rifle for a walking stick. Thank god that I had a compression brace in my gear at camp. One day down and I was back out with the brace.

All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void. � Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. (2 Cranch) 137 (1803)
NRA LIfe Member
GOA
SAF
CCRKBA
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I only started last week until I can see the doc this coming week. Seems to have helped. Her recommended this one to my wife. Amazon has them for about $22.Cheap ones from Walmart didn't do anything for me.

Vital Salveo
3D knit Knee Brace S-Support
CJ-5108

www.vitalsalveo.com

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
GRIZZ- Surely you can relate, perhaps a heroic skate board accident. Lots of peril in California, Freedom Fighter Country.

Originally Posted by GRIZZ

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I use the Mueller brand with the wire rods down the side. Really helps stabilize your knee.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I wear one daily on my right knee. A copper sleeve. Noticed a difference on day 2.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Had a issue with lower extremity edema after my hospital stay. Started wearing hockey liner socks to add some "compression". Worked pretty good for me to minimize swelling. To me, they seem to be in-between knee high boot socks and compression stockings in terms of "compression". However, not sure if you could get a pair to come up over your knee?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Ditto most of above. I have one and is my knee (either one) gets a bit hinky, on it goes. It helps.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I tore the Meniscus in my left knee while hunting in Montana in 2011. At first I hoped it was just a sprain, but the pain got worse and worse. Luckily, my niece Caitlin was an Orthopaedic Surgery Resident at Northwestern Hospital, a five minute CTA El ride from my home. She referred me to her mentor, Dr Jim Hill, who twice has been the Team Orthopaedic Doctor for the US Olympic Team. He did the surgery in late 2011 and after 6 months of tough rehab, I was good as new. I went on my first African safari in August 2012 and was able to walk and climb koppies without pain.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had Knee replacement in July of 2018, was Elk hunting in November in Montana. 65 years old, really worked to get my strength back, and flexibility. The Copper Fit knee sleeves helped me (had other knee replaced 7 years earlier) then, now I wear them about three days a week, they help me. If it is mental than good, I like less pain.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I've worn them on both knees off and on for 10 years or so. They help a lot but you have to replace them when they get stretched out. Get a good brand and give them a try. I wore them right up until I had knee replacements. No more problems after that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GRIZZ- Surely you can relate, perhaps a heroic skate board accident. Lots of peril in California, Freedom Fighter Country.

Originally Posted by GRIZZ

Here's how I 'relate"... Get off you knees...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,190
Posts18,465,790
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.