Print Thread
Hop To
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
My 19 year old Cabelas Alaskan Pack is finally fubar after a recent trip backpacking for native brookies. It has hauled everything from moose quarters and mountain goat to summer hiking trips with kids. I have repaired multiple broken pins, modified it so it would fit in a super cub, etc. lots of good memories but has exceeded it useful life (too many broken buckles, straps, etc. to trust it on a hunt far away from home).

So in the market for a new pack. $300 max budget (kids make you poor), I am seeking something durable, no frills, minimum pockets, just bombproof for longevity. Something that will hold enough gear for a 3-day hunt, sturdy enough to pack a mule deer sized critter. I realize packs have advanced and in turn gone up in price, but cant spend too much. Something that also has a rifle carrying system would also be great, as I am tired of getting creative with P-chord everytime I have to haul meat. So, any new models that fit my bill or used models I should be looking out for greatly appreciated. I dont live near anyplace where I can go try a bunch which is what I would prefer. Im 6', 190 lbs. I was looking at the badlands sacrifice LS? It has everything I am looking for, but wish to hear in regards to the durability of their gear.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would suggest looking at used packs from the top tier makers ie Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Seek Outside. A lot of guys like to get the very newest models that come out and sell their "old" packs for very reasonable. The packs may have some dirt or a stain or two, but are going to perfectly functional, carry well and last a long (long time).

Peruse the classified's here and at Rokslide and I bet you can get into a really nice pack very close to your budget.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I would suggest looking at used packs from the top tier makers ie Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Seek Outside. A lot of guys like to get the very newest models that come out and sell their "old" packs for very reasonable. The packs may have some dirt or a stain or two, but are going to perfectly functional, carry well and last a long (long time).

Peruse the classified's here and at Rokslide and I bet you can get into a really nice pack very close to your budget.

Best advice that can be given right there!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks guys. I’ve been cruising the classifieds here without seeing much. Need to start looking over on Rokslide. If anyone see’s something, please PM me. Thanks again.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Well after much searching and research, I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought a MR Metcalf. Mountain archery has a sale going and it was 420.00 shipped. Looking forward to getting a load in it and hit my training route here in Appalachia. Will get a good workout backpacking this summer with Colorado mule deer coming up in the fall.

Last edited by TomM1; 06/11/20.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,645
Posts18,455,396
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.